Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2003, 07:55 AM   #1
Ironbar
Manshoon

Spoilers*************

In Nalia's quest,

Is it possible to kill the mage serpent withouth the rest of the party being killed?
I have tried a few times and although i can kill him Nalia and other party members are dead by the end of the battle.
So far my tactics have involved attacking him straight away but he always casts the same spell that makes my party run off in every direction.
What spells can be cast pre battle to offer either protection or do some damage?

Thanks
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:09 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

I cant remember if Yaun-ti cast confusion or fear, but in either case the simplest protection is to send a few summons in. His spells cant hurt you if they're wasted on something else.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Dadams1
Drow Warrior

Or maybe, if you wanna' be CHEESY, fire a couple o' Fireballs into the room before going in. Although, I can't remember whether the Yuan-Ti appear or whether they are there already, so I could be mistaken . But try it anyhoo, unless you like non-CHEESY stuff .
Old 08-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Another good tactic is to enter the room via the staircase from the roof of the keep. You will appear right behind the snake and yourt tanks are in perfect melee-distance.

Chris
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #5
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Actually, I always go around it so I enter from the south-west. I then lure the troll out, and shut the door (the supposedly intelligent mage can't open a door...what is the world coming to?). I then deal with the troll around the corner, as the mage can still cast spells through the door (well, only one). After that, I kill the mage, as it's protections should have run out.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #6
Ares

People actually do Nalia's keep still? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I hate trolls. >_<
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:16 PM   #7
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

So do I, but SPOILERS
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
the Flail of the Ages and the stronghold itself (when a fighter) are nice bonuses, don't you think so?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 AM   #8
Ironbar
Manshoon

Do you only get offered the keep if you are a fighter?
I am a Paladin, surely thats good enough!

[ 08-04-2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Ironbar ]
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:51 AM   #9
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironbar:
Spoilers*************

In Nalia's quest,

Is it possible to kill the mage serpent withouth the rest of the party being killed?
I have tried a few times and although i can kill him Nalia and other party members are dead by the end of the battle.
So far my tactics have involved attacking him straight away but he always casts the same spell that makes my party run off in every direction.
What spells can be cast pre battle to offer either protection or do some damage?

Thanks
what i usually do is cast a cloudkill(preferably two, if you have two mages) into the room and slam the door shut. this should kill the troll and the yan-ti mage(kill the ice troll first), or atleast severly injure the mage.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironbar:
Do you only get offered the keep if you are a fighter?
I am a Paladin, surely thats good enough!
no its not . dont worry though, you get another stronghold with a paladin(even though, IMO, it sucks).

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:01 AM   #10
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

The best tactic is to cast 2 webs in there followed by 3 Firebolts,followed by 2~3 Holy Smites and a Cloudskill... After that all u have to do is stand outside and leech the XP (Note this is more useful for the Great Hall in level 1 if u have Tactics installed, or for Torgal's minions in the dungeons) Those tactics did wonders for me