Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2002, 10:03 PM   #31
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Sephy - what's that anti-flag thingy sig you have there? You think that is a good idea? You might offend some people with it I am thinking.
Anti-flag is the name of my favorite punk rock band. They have a great message, and it's not Anti-America, instead they mean this: "Anti-Flag does not mean Anti-American. Anti-Flag means anti-war. Anti-Flag means the common people of the world are better off living in unity and peace. Anti-Flag means to stand against corporate greed that hurts millions while benefitting a handful of extremely rich. Anti-Flag means to fight against mindless nationalism. Anti-Flag means unity."
Old 07-23-2002, 10:08 PM   #32
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Al:
Well Elric, I believe God made the earth in six days. Day meaning "period of time". That could mean anything from a fraction of a second to a million years. With that cleared up, how is it so hard to believe? Do you really think we are the highest force at work on the earth?
I too love Tolkien's writing. But he doesn't compare to the bible because the Bible is the truth... The One Truth!

Pastor Al
Have you been contacted by the celestials lately?

Let's discuss the infallible bible, shall we?

1) Do you believe in the use of contraception (condoms, birth control, etc, excluding abortion)? If you try to sidestep the question and say "abstain" you're an oaf. Simply yes, or no. Do you believe that preventing conception is a good thing?

Answer that, and we'll move onto issue #2.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:18 PM   #33
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Anti-flag is the name of my favorite punk rock band. They have a great message, and it's not Anti-America, instead they mean this: "Anti-Flag does not mean Anti-American. Anti-Flag means anti-war. Anti-Flag means the common people of the world are better off living in unity and peace. Anti-Flag means to stand against corporate greed that hurts millions while benefitting a handful of extremely rich. Anti-Flag means to fight against mindless nationalism. Anti-Flag means unity."
You have my unequivical support.

And to even more off-topic...

People tend to confuse wanting a better goverment with being anti-goverment. Fortunatley punk rock has always been on the front-lines of exposing the immorality of the goverment and the people that populate it.

By immorrality, I am not talking about boinking interns in the oval office(not immoral in MY book), but about corporate greed and influence that pervades our political system, particularly the military industrial complex that is a big cash cow for a select few industries during wartime. War means profits for big pigs and proliferates the idea that being antiwar ( or violence and death) is unpatriotic.

For example when we attack Iraq, it will be to secure resources and more defense funding and military employment for citizens. Otherwise we could tackle Saddam covertly seeing how he is the problem, but that wouldnt be profitable. Alas we will probably attack Iraq, fail to get Saddam(again) and Bush will be voted out (again). We could get stuck in a endless bush timeloop!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 10:31 PM   #34
Chewbacca
Zartan

Wow, I can smell the tension building on this thread!!

Where is one of those wise...

"How to have a mature discussion and respect for other peoples beliefs and opinions even if you disagree"

...threads, so things dont "Go There" if you catch my drift.

Please, I'll respect anyone's beliefs as far as you keep them yours when you share them and let me have mine. Thats fair right?.

The thought of being told "I wont talk to you anymore, but I'll pray for your salvation" is one that would lead me to support a continued moratorium on the topic of religion here. I come here to read and share ideas and laughs, not to be belittled or preached too.

Ultimately my opinion is relatively small and I think I'll just go play NWN and get off the serious tip.

Peace.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:01 PM   #35
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrider:
Have you been contacted by the celestials lately?

Let's discuss the infallible bible, shall we?

1) Do you believe in the use of contraception (condoms, birth control, etc, excluding abortion)? If you try to sidestep the question and say "abstain" you're an oaf. Simply yes, or no. Do you believe that preventing conception is a good thing?

Answer that, and we'll move onto issue #2.[/QB]
Shadowstrider,

If you disagree with the Bible, that is fine. You have every right to do so. However, please try to be a bit more respectful in your disagreement.

Has Evil Al been contacted by celestials lately? NO, he believes in God, not celestials. And I'm quite sure he HAS been in contact with God.

I am also a Christian who believes in the infallible Bible. Celestials don't provide our understanding.....GOD DOES! That doesn't work for you....that's not a problem. I respect your view. Please do the same for ours.

Secondly, if you want to question the Bible, that's fine too. But you make a pre-emptive strike and insult Al before he even has a chance to respond.

Calling somebody an "oaf" before you even hear their answer is just plain rude.

I will be happy to answer your question under 2 conditions.

1) That you disagree in a respectful manner. If you don't accept the answer I give, that's fine. I won't try to "prove I'm right". I will simply answer the question based on my faith.

2) But before ANY of that can be done, the MODS have to give the OK. There is currently a moratorium on religious discussions because of the type of comments we are already seeing in this thread.

I have sent an e-mail to one of the Moderators asking if the moratorium may be lifted. When it is....I plan to start a thread that will address these very issues. It will be an open discussion forum for non-beleivers to ask questions about the supposed inconsistencies in the Bible and other faith-based issues.

I hope to be able to start that soon, but it's best to avoid the subject as much as possible until the MODS grant their approval.

Evil Al - well, you sure fooled me brother. I wouldn't have expected you to be a Christian with that ID....then again, mine isn't much better.

I didn't mean to "step on your toes" here. I'm sure you're quite capable of addressing Shadowstriders question...but I felt it best to remind EVERYONE that the MODS haven't approved a renewal of these discussion yet.

Oh, one last thing. Sephorith, You don't have to believe in God for a prayer offered on your behalf to work. God just has to believe in you.....and HE DOES!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:11 PM   #36
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

In the bible it also speaks of a "spinning wheel" in the sky that is of another terestrial oragin at one point, just as well as Unicorns and other such things...
Old 07-23-2002, 11:38 PM   #37
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Al, the Bible is not absolute truth. Not every religion believes in the whole Chrstian Bible, and in fact only about 30% of the world population does according to what I've seen. It's allegedly second-hand, so mistranslations and interpretations are open, plus you can't possibly believe that ALL those monks had perfect handwriting or sight, can you? Plus, why is anyone comparing Tolkien and the Bible? They're two completely different genres, fantasy and general fiction.
SSJ4Sephiroth, I believe it should be noted that this is your opinion only and not fact. In the opinion of most Christians, the Bible is absolute truth.
Also you are displaying ignorance in labeling the Bible 'general fiction'. There are many aspects of it that require faith in it's message in order to believe it, but you can't deny that much of it is an historical record, proven against the most stringent of methods.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:44 PM   #38
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
In the bible it also speaks of a "spinning wheel" in the sky that is of another terestrial oragin at one point, just as well as Unicorns and other such things...
/)eathKiller, I'm not sure what you are speaking of here...Do you mean Ezekiel's vision ? Or are there other references? Could you please elaborate on this?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:46 PM   #39
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Back on topic:

I have to agree with oblivion if the numbers he quotes are correct. Given the sheer number of planets in the universe and given its infinite dimensions it would be ignorant to discount the posibility of other life on another planet. Scientists have found fossilized bacteria in rock samples taken from the moon and meteorites that have fallen to earth. If there is bacteria out there then there is also the posibility for other things.

As for the mini bible discussion that erupted all I can say is that everyone both for and against it should try to not force their views on other people. If person "A" believes and person"B" doesnt they should each only post once and not repeatedly try to convince each other that the other is wrong. Defenately dont offer prayers. That is both insulting and imposing yourself upon another persons belief system. My own views on the bible are that they are a collection of stories that can help you to live a certain way. Kind of like a primitive self help book. If it gets you through life and keeps you happy then by all means enjoy you happieness and dont let anyone sway you from your path.Personaly I cant place the faith of any absolute truth in any book written 2 thousand years ago at the earliest by a bunch of savages barely out of the stone age. That view also extends to the Quran,the Torah, the Tao,Wicca and just about every other organization that claims to have the monopoly on absolute truth.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #40
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Shadowstrider,

If you disagree with the Bible, that is fine. You have every right to do so. However, please try to be a bit more respectful in your disagreement.
That was pretty respectful from me. I am not big on "let's keep a smile on our face no matter what the situation." If I disagree(and I am not saying I do, but IF I do) I will bring facts in. If it comes across as condescending, disrespectful or rude... Report it to a mod, and let them ban me.

Quote:
Has Evil Al been contacted by celestials lately? NO, he believes in God, not celestials. And I'm quite sure he HAS been in contact with God.
It must be a one-way call. I have never heard of anyone coming into contact with god. I have seen people see "his work" though, but I have never heard anyone say they saw HIM(or her?) in the act. Thus your placing this all in faith. Faith is not infallible.

Quote:
I am also a Christian who believes in the infallible Bible. Celestials don't provide our understanding.....GOD DOES! That doesn't work for you....that's not a problem. I respect your view. Please do the same for ours.
So YOU have personally spoken with God and heard his reply in english(or your 1st language)? If so, I would like to shake your hand.

Quote:
Secondly, if you want to question the Bible, that's fine too. But you make a pre-emptive strike and insult Al before he even has a chance to respond.

Calling somebody an "oaf" before you even hear their answer is just plain rude.
Where the hell did I call him an "oaf?" Where the hell did I insult him? I said IF he sidestepped the issue he is an oaf. By dictionary definition an oaf is:

A person regarded as stupid or clumsy

He would be quite clumsy to try and sidestep a simple answer wouldn't he? Afterall simple answers, more often then not, cause less contradictions.

Quote:
I will be happy to answer your question under 2 conditions.
I will not give into your demands, even if they were "eat this slice of delicious cake, and drink this warm milk." I believe in freedom. If I am out of line, the moderators are more then welcome to warn and/or ban me. This is THEIR property afterall, thus I have no freedom of speach here. So if they want me gone, I'll leave, untill then I will act as I do everywhere else. Is that fine with you? If not, you're free to not answer.

Quote:
1) That you disagree in a respectful manner. If you don't accept the answer I give, that's fine. I won't try to "prove I'm right". I will simply answer the question based on my faith.
Respect is a subjective term. Where I am from all disagreements are respectful. If one disagrees and takes offense, it's a shame, but it happens.

Quote:
2) But before ANY of that can be done, the MODS have to give the OK. There is currently a moratorium on religious discussions because of the type of comments we are already seeing in this thread.
Well the mods have free reign to silence this discussion.

Quote:
I have sent an e-mail to one of the Moderators asking if the moratorium may be lifted. When it is....I plan to start a thread that will address these very issues. It will be an open discussion forum for non-beleivers to ask questions about the supposed inconsistencies in the Bible and other faith-based issues.
I have read the bible 3 times on my own, and extra bits when I once went to church. Likewise I have read the Qur'an 2 times. I know theologics pretty well.

Quote:
I hope to be able to start that soon, but it's best to avoid the subject as much as possible until the MODS grant their approval.
I'll be waiting...Or perhaps we could take it to the BIS forums which are intended for this type of discussion?

Quote:
Oh, one last thing. Sephorith, You don't have to believe in God for a prayer offered on your behalf to work. God just has to believe in you.....and HE DOES!
I take offense to people wanting to plead on my behalf. That would be like people offering up my plea in court for me...after all doesn't judgement come to us all according to the bible?