Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
Stratos
Vampire

Default Re: FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY

Fake story, but mildly amusing.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

My goodness these threads are enticing.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #23
SecretMaster
Apophis

Despite it being intended as a joke, it was a joke in poor taste IMO. I read it and had a mental reaction of "oh f*** you" (to the joke, not Variol). Of course I kept my opinion to myself because I hate flame wars. However, since everyone is chiming in, I'll add my two cents.

The thing is, while we all know it was a "chain email" joke, the joke was directed to a certain audience. The joke is mainly for christians, and I'd imagine that by and large christians send it to each other for a good laugh. It's a christian joke intended for a christian audience, and while some atheists may be able to take it in good spirits, it still is an attack one way or another. I did not appreciate the joke, for what its worth.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretMaster View Post
Despite it being intended as a joke, it was a joke in poor taste IMO. I read it and had a mental reaction of "oh f*** you" (to the joke, not Variol). Of course I kept my opinion to myself because I hate flame wars. However, since everyone is chiming in, I'll add my two cents.

The thing is, while we all know it was a "chain email" joke, the joke was directed to a certain audience. The joke is mainly for christians, and I'd imagine that by and large christians send it to each other for a good laugh. It's a christian joke intended for a christian audience, and while some atheists may be able to take it in good spirits, it still is an attack one way or another. I did not appreciate the joke, for what its worth.
I think you're exactly right. I should have just PM'd it to the Christians here, or made it for Christians only?

If someone could be so kind as post a joke, poking fun at Christians, maybe that will make up for it somewhat? I'm sure there must be a least one out there.

Again though, my apologies.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Or we could start on those scientologists...

J/K.

I wasn't offended by it, despite the fact that I don't adher to any of the established religions. I guess you get used to it, but IMO when I read the thing, I felt the joke was on them. Because, they actually think it is foolish to not believe in an imaginary being - their imaginary being in particular. Well, it isn't clear: It could be that not believing in a christian god is perceived as idiotic, or that not believing in any of the many worldwide gods is foolish. Still, the logic of the joke struck me as too retarded to be insulting.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #26
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Wow..quite a ruckus over something fake

I don't think we'll get anywhere with the whole "eye for an eye" thing. And instead of taking jokes seriously, lets take it as it is- a joke. As I see it theres only two kinds of jokes, funny ones and not funny ones. Variol's joke and thecarrotdude's remark were both quite humorous.

Cut it out with the anger/unfunny stuff- this is a joke thread.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #27
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I've been watching this thread since the beginning, completely expecting these types of posts to come of it. I hope nobody is upset that I did not follow protocol and block it yesterday. I decided to let it play out so you could prove to yourselves the reason why Ziroc does not permit religious discussion. Some of us get too easily offended by the discussions that come from these topics.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #28
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
I've been watching this thread since the beginning, completely expecting these types of posts to come of it. I hope nobody is upset that I did not follow protocol and block it yesterday. I decided to let it play out so you could prove to yourselves the reason why Ziroc does not permit religious discussion. Some of us get too easily offended by the discussions that come from these topics.
Well, I don't think it's gotten "there" just yet.

There's also a line between tasteful awareness and oversensitive forum-goers, I have found. The internet is not for the faint hearted as it cannot be sensored like the TV can. We can try but y'know. Anyways, I don't think this thread is about to self-destruct if we all bear in mind we have now said what we needed to say, and it's time to move on to more riveting discussions (like what kind of shoe was thrown at GWB).
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #29
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Well, I don't think it's gotten "there" just yet.

There's also a line between tasteful awareness and oversensitive forum-goers, I have found. The internet is not for the faint hearted as it cannot be sensored like the TV can. We can try but y'know. Anyways, I don't think this thread is about to self-destruct if we all bear in mind we have now said what we needed to say, and it's time to move on to more riveting discussions (like what kind of shoe was thrown at GWB).
That last part made me laugh more than this whole thread altogether
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #30
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Thanks Wellard,
I think the mistake was mine by not putting a little comment, or smiley in there to make it obvious. Or better yet, post in the joke thread. I'm sure nothing would have happened, had I placed it there.
No worries on my part Variol

I can take a good joke, and even bad ones like that

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote