Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-06-2001, 02:55 PM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

At the request of a certain member, I am presenting the
Scottish Links Golf Courses and the Towns (sorry no pub info) nearby them Quiz

Here is a list of Scottish Links Golf Courses, you name the nearest town (and if you really, really want to you can name a pub in that town )

1)Carnegie Club

2)Dunbar Golf Club

3)Glasgow Gailes Golf Club

4)King's Links

5)Monifieth Golf Links

6)Murcar Golf Club

7)Nairn Golf Club

8)Whitekirk Golf Club

9)Fortrose & Rosmarkie Golf Club

10)Lundin Gold Club

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 07-06-2001).]
Old 07-06-2001, 04:09 PM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:

1)Carnegie Club - Dornoch

2)Dunbar Golf Club - Duh!!! Dunbar (or Nairn if Nairn Dunbar)

3)Glasgow Gailes Golf Club - Irvine

4)King's Links - Aberdeen

5)Monifieth Golf Links - Monifieth (or Dundee if you prefer)

6)Murcar Golf Club - Aberdeen

7)Nairn Golf Club - Ehhhh - tough one....Nairn perhaps

8)Whitekirk Golf Club - North Berwick

9)Fortrose & Rosmarkie Golf Club - Fortrose

10)Lundin Gold Club - St Andrews

Btw - I used to be a member at Murcar and know quite a few fine pubs around that area!

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 07-06-2001).]
Old 07-06-2001, 09:45 PM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hi Moridin,

Sorry that I went to bed before seeing this appearing. Looking at your list, you have gone for many of the second tier courses, so your going to catch me out as a wild boaster on many of these. Here goes anyway :

)Carnegie Club

Seen signs to this one up near Royal Dornoch where I played in the Carnegie Shield last time - nearest town would be Dornoch I suspect.

2)Dunbar Golf Club

Only guessing here - I am sure that Dunbar is a town not all that far from Edinburgh

3)Glasgow Gailes Golf Club

The only one on your list I have played (for shame) - we were staying over in Troon, and I know it is out in a fairly open stretch over near Western Gailes - will have to pass.

4)King's Links

No idea

5)Monifieth Golf Links

Gulp, pass again

6)Murcar Golf Club

Ahh, I'm sure that's up the top right hand corner - Aberdeen way - seen a few articles on that course

7)Nairn Golf Club

I know this is somewhere near Nairn -I have a great uncle that lives there - went looking for this once, but found Nairn Dunbar instead - it's on this years tour though, so I will play it next month.

8)Whitekirk Golf Club

We play North Berwick this year, and Whitekirk is a course we are hoping to play on one of our days off.

9)Fortrose & Rosmarkie Golf Club

Pass - Fortrose and Rosmarkie perhaps

10)Lundin Gold Club

Seen signs to this close to St Andrews

So you can see, I haven't played many on those courses. I guess the tours I have been on have focussed on getting to most of the real big name courses. The new ones in Scotland (for me) this year will be Muirfield, Nth Berwick, Gullane, Nairn, and Cruden Bay. The others we are playing, that I have done before are St Andrews Old and New, Carnoustie, Royal Dornoch and Gleneagles (Kings). Muirfield will be the last of the British Open courses for me - it has been a goal to play at all 8 of them. I will actually be playing at 6 of the 8 this year (visiting the Sassenach's a week before the tour starts ).

I apologise for my dismal performance -if I had called in the assistance of my South Australian touring buddy I am sure he would have been able to get them all (if I am a golf enthusiast, he is a golf nutter ). Looking forward to getting over there again - can't wait.

------------------
Old 07-07-2001, 04:15 AM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Shame on you coming all the way up here and missing out on the 6th oldest golf club in the world - Royal Aberdeen!

And here is another teaser - which is the only "Royal" golf club in the world to have the "Royal" at the end of it's name?

Enjoy your good walks spoiled

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 07-07-2001).]
Old 07-07-2001, 07:23 AM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hi Mouse,

Having 4 Scottish grandparents, I thought I understood the Scottish accent pretty well. That was until I met someone from Aberdeen - I was totally clueless as to what the hell he was talkin aboot. He had been trying to ask me "How's the weather out west?" - that was because I had just got in from Fort William, but I don't think I managed to understand a single word of the sentence because the accent was that thick. Tis a pity indeed that we will not be playing Royal Aberdeen. This tour was planned to have both Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen. The latter was dropped because the organiser ran into accomodation problems - there is some huge conference on in the town that weekend, and instead of the 4 days accomodation he had requested, we get to stay only 2 I think.

Hmm, looking at your other teaser - Royal at the end - can't pick it off the top of my head. Struggled on the course today - great in patches, but too few patches .

------------------