Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-15-2000, 11:22 PM   #1
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi everyone

I was reading someones post where they mentioned having a Monk with a Kung Fu level of 7, which allowed them to strike with a punch and kick, the kick doing massive damamge. I noticed that my ninja hit level 9 with kung fu and did not get this kick.

I thought about it, now if the person who posted this remembers, did you also have the 2nd Strike Ability? I'm in the process of beefing up my characters to having 2nd Strike and High Kung Fu skill, so I'm think that this kick comes when you have second strike.

I havent tested this yet as my ninja is too high a level to get bonuses fast enough, so I have to change her to a monk, then to assassin eventually.

If anyone knows of the answer to this, please post. I'll probably figure it out this evening, but I'm still wondering about it!

Scronan
Old 10-16-2000, 12:55 AM   #2
MrCreosote

I am not sure there is a definitive answer to this as the manual isnt exactly verbose on any of this but I am 99% sure you have it correct, to get a second strike of anything (dagger,kick etc) you need the second strike ability.

I got my Ninja up to Kung Fu 8 and he was useless, and then I put a sword on him at Sword skill of only 1 (a good sword mind you) and he was hitting for 15, so now I am upping him on sword. To me the Kung Fu thing is a gimmick and doesnt really work, especially in comparison to the traditional weapon skills. I think the bottom line is that Monks are hopeless.

Old 10-16-2000, 12:59 AM   #3
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi, thanks for responding. I understand your concerns, but Monks hopeless? Hey now, I'm a martial artist in real life, and though this is a game, its a simillar concept. In almost every RPG, monks and bare handed fighters are the hardest to develop, but once they obtain a high level of ability, they are second to none. Anyone remember the Monk in Bards Tale II?

This game is different I know, and to be honest, I have not made a monk yet. The thing I've noticed, having a high sword skill only increases your chances of striking a target, it DOES NOT increase the damage. So, you can have a sword skill of 1 or 12 and your long sword +1 still might only do 15 damage with a regular hit.

My ninja has a kung fu skill of 9, and I've seen her do 22 damage in one strike. Mind you, she's a vampire (dont get me started on that), and this is at night when she's more vicious. During the day she does 16 or so, but then she is weaker. I dont have second strike for her yet.

I'm working on getting her to have 12 gung fu and 12 second strike (EXPENSIVE), and then I'll post my findings here.

I think the bare handed fighters have potential, as my ninja is already a better fighter than my paladin, samurai and barbarian warriors, and most have a sword skill of 10 or higher. Also, now than I'm working on Death Strike, this negates the need for doing lots of damage, since the enemies just DIE!

Well, I like monks, and like real life, bare handed fighting takes a lot of work, but so does fencing and the like. But once mastered, you're a force to be reckoned with.

Then again, one master told me:

"If you want to kill people, dont learn kung fu, buy a gun."

Scronan
Old 10-16-2000, 08:40 PM   #4
Kaddish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For some reason, it annoys me when people spell kung fu 'gung fu'.
Old 10-16-2000, 08:43 PM   #5
warmonger3

Your master was very wise indeed. That made my evening, thanks.

Old 10-16-2000, 11:33 PM   #6
Squig

Kung Fu is very cool . I just maxed out the skill and my guy is hits anywhere from 10-30 damage per hit. He has never kicked but then again i never gave him 2nd strike skill. I will have to start working on it...

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-17-2000, 01:28 AM   #7
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

10-30 damage? That's pretty cool, I havent got the second strike thing up either, I've noticed it doesnt do much until its level 4-5 or higher.

Kaddish - "Gung Fu" is the just another spelling of the Chinese art of fighting. Actually, a chinese person will say "gong fu" as well, said just like its spelled.

Whether its said from Mandarin or Cantonese roots, it will be called gung fu, or kung fu, like chi gung, chi gong, etc.

Its all the same stuff.

Yeah, I wish there were firearms in W&W like in Wiz 7. Once I got the skill up to 100, it was actually a cool way to blast monsters!

Ok, this thread is dead...for sure.

Scronan
Old 11-24-2000, 10:03 PM   #8
tritone

Not dead! I've got a few questions. I'm just starting to build up my first character (a ninja) with kung fu and second strike. I'm wondering, if I equip a 2nd weapon on the left hand, do I still get an additional kick? ha ha, I doubt it. Is the kick (kung fu 2nd strike) better than a 2nd weapon?

Old 11-25-2000, 12:52 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just wanted to say, definitely get 2nd strike with Kung Fu. My Ninja has both, as well as Ironmight, and he's hitting for anywhere from 20-45 damage per hit. He also has Lethal Strike, so he's getting those critical kills as well every so often. Very worthwhile.

From what I can tell, Kung Fu starts out as paltry, but it definitely gets better the more you add to it...far better than any sword weapon.

Sazerac
Old 11-25-2000, 05:39 AM   #10
Elara
The Magister

My Whiskah Monk has level 12 Kung Fu and Lethal Fist, but not DoubleStrike. Still, hee often strikes twice and also kicks. Damage is usually between 13-21 per blow.