Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-01-2001, 01:40 PM   #1
joecaper
Welcomed New User

I've just started paying BGII and have a question about how random HP generation is. Yoshimo joined my group and then we left Ch. 1 and entered the circus tent where I answered a question correctly. Yosh went up a level but only got 2 HP. He's a bounty hunter with a +2 CON bonus so shouldn't the HP be (1-6)+2. I reset, got the same result, reset to an earlier save and still only get 2. Are these character's HP predetermined in some way. My own monk character has only gotten 2 or 3 Hp for his level but I accepted it as part of the game ( I didn't want to have to keep resetting until I get a good result). If this is going to be an on-going problem is there an option to set HP to Max like in Icewind Dale. (Got pi**ed off at that games low HP generation also so I just opted out). Thanks for any comments.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:49 PM   #2
deathknight
Drow Warrior

well it depends on your level. once you reach the cap then you receieve a fixed number of hps every time you level after that. what level is he?
Old 09-01-2001, 01:50 PM   #3
Desuma_Malevois

IIRC Yoshi should be about 10th level at that point, so when he goes up a level he will only get 2 HP. Take a look at the class level charts at the back of the manual and you'll know what to expect.

For maximum hit points you need to have the game difficulty set on its lowest setting when you create the character and when you level up.

BTW, welcome to the board!!

[This message has been edited by Desuma_Malevois (edited 09-01-2001).]

Old 09-02-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
joecaper
Welcomed New User

I realize that after level 10 Yosh only gets 2 HP per level, but what about his CON Bonus of 2 HP? The min HP he should get per level is 4. The game is bugged.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:57 PM   #5
Debaser

joecaper--the game isn't bugged.
it's standard d&d rules that once a character reaches the level in which they don't roll for hit points any more, but start increasing in even increments (+3 for fighters, +2 for rogues/priests, +1 for magic-users) and once this is so then their constitution bonus is not added any more when they level up. i think the idea is that your character has gained all the benefits he/she can from their high constitution.