Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Labor Day speech and unemployment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
No need to defend him, he's gone.
Similarly, there is no need to attack him, either--he's gone.

I am curious what the President will say, though, because the President really doesn't have much direct control over the economy. Unfortunately, I suspect Washington, D. C. has done all it thinks it can do for now; any further improvement will have to come from the private sector.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.

Last edited by Azred; 09-06-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Labor Day speech and unemployment...

Okay, okay. This has to be said.

Whether you grew up in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's in the USA, please raise your hand if you never, never, until the presidency of Bush 43 thought that American military personnel might use torture to garner evidence or information.

Was it just better when it was unsaid?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Back to the issue. One thing a President can do to increase jobs is decrease regulatory burden. I believe doing some quick googles will turn up several bits of info, including one just last week, where this administration has acted to either decrease the costs of regulatory compliance or stop a prior-legislated new measure from coming into full effect because its regulatory burden would be too high.

Off the top of my head, I can recall an effort to keep this new tax measure that was going to be crazy on the record-keeping side from coming into the effect. Also, last week I heard something about some Clean Air Act filing/permitting issues being addressed for similar reasons.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Labor Day speech and unemployment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
Similarly, there is no need to attack him, either--he's gone.
You can't really discuss unemployment or the economy that without mentioning the man who created this mess to begin with. It's not an "attack" to simply recall why things are so bad. Or to wonder why he has not been jailed yet (or at least dragged to a televised trial in the style of Casey Anthony or OJ).
Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Worried Re: Labor Day speech and unemployment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Okay, okay. This has to be said.

Whether you grew up in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's in the USA, please raise your hand if you never, never, until the presidency of Bush 43 thought that American military personnel might use torture to garner evidence or information.

Was it just better when it was unsaid?
Yes. America now sanctions torture. Which makes it look like more like those savage, brutal nations that it insists are dangerous/terrorist/axis of lulz.

I have seen the enemy and he is us.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Oh the usual really. The raping of the economy, butchering of the constitution, abuse of power, torture of prisoners, wars that were based on lies, thousands of soldiers killed because of it etc. etc. I'm sure you could find hundreds of websites, blogs and articles online now that go into far greater detail of documenting that mess.
I'm sure I could find websites, blogs and articles that rail against GWB just as I'm sure I could find an equal number singing his praises. Since you brought it up, I was asking which damages you were referencing. Honestly, I thought you would jump at the chance to give more detail and list some links outlining his abuses.

So, let's start with his raping of the economy, butchering the constitution and abuse of power. Can you give some specific examples of how he did each of these? That way, we can be sure we're talking about the same issues.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Labor Day speech and unemployment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
I'm sure I could find websites, blogs and articles that rail against GWB just as I'm sure I could find an equal number singing his praises. Since you brought it up, I was asking which damages you were referencing. Honestly, I thought you would jump at the chance to give more detail and list some links outlining his abuses.

So, let's start with his raping of the economy, butchering the constitution and abuse of power. Can you give some specific examples of how he did each of these? That way, we can be sure we're talking about the same issues.
Well, what issues do you think we're talking about...?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Yes. America now sanctions torture. Which makes it look like more like those savage, brutal nations that it insists are dangerous/terrorist/axis of lulz.
We always have:
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB122/

Never in my life did I ever have any notion or reason to think that our military would not use torture on enemies. It's the most natural thing to do with them. It was only when photos came out in an era of heightened (pussyism) sensibilities, i.e. the post-PC world, that suddenly the obvious became the unthinkable.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

If this was common knowledge and accepted why aren't the police using it on suspects?

I think you are in the minority. The general public were shocked and disgusted or at the very least, taken aback. So much about values, honor and liberty coming from a nation that tortures their prisoners. A little counter-intuitive at best.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Well, what issues do you think we're talking about...?
I'm willing to discuss the issues you brought up. I asked for some specific examples so we could discuss the issues in more detail. I'm still waiting for those so we can start the discussion.