Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Spiders, I was bitten by one about a month ago. I never did see the critter but I had huge bunch on the back of my leg for about 3 days. It looked to be a spider bite and the two little fang marks, the bite was had white around the edges, and seeped a clear pure looking substance. The swelling didn't start to go down until I placed a dressing on it to draw out the poison. I wonder if it wasn't the widow that bit me.

http://www.canoe.ca/WinnipegNews/ws.ws-07-07-0010.html

On a side note my friends parents once found a tarantula in a box of bananas.

[ 07-07-2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 07-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I used to work in the harbour, where we sometimes had to unload ships with bananas and grapefruits (manually), so i know exactly what you mean. We had special protection gloves, but it still remains risky. Most spiders i've encountered though were crushed under boxes, either during the time they were at sea, or during loading. Luckily i've never been bitten.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

if you would be bitten by a black widow you wpuld probably be dead by now.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Speaking of spiders, I sprayed a mighty big web-spinner on my balcony yesterday. The sucker didn't die instantly like the bottle said, but instead span a web down from the ceiling to the floor and started running right towards me!!!

Being arachnophobic, I screamed like a girl and proceeded to empty the bottle on the sucker. I ran inside and closed the glass door after it got about foot from me. I watched it shrivel up dead right where I was standing.

It did not want to go out with out a fight it seems !!!!

I hate spiders, I have rational, as well as irrational fear of them.

[ 07-07-2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 07-07-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Not necessarily, but he may have suffered some intense nausea or difficulties in breathing. Did or do you have any symptoms, pritchke? If not, I doubt it's anything serious. A lot of spiders bite out of irritation or fear, but they are seldom poisonous.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Speaking of spiders, I sprayed a mighty big web-spinner on my balcony yesterday. The sucker didn't die instantly like the bottle said, but instead span a web down from the ceiling to the floor and started running right towards me!!!

Being arachnophobic, I screamed like a girl and proceeded to empty the bottle on the sucker. I ran inside and closed the glass door after it got about foot from me. I watched it shrivel up dead right where I was standing.

It did not want to go out with out a fight it seems !!!!

I hate spiders, I have rational, as well as irrational fear of them.
ACCKK!!! You're story scared me and I wasn't even there. I'm right there with you in the fear of spiders thing.
That's why I got me a boyfriend and 2 kitties to protect me. At least one of them is always around to get the evil spiders!!
Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 PM   #7
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Not necessarily, but he may have suffered some intense nausea or difficulties in breathing. Did or do you have any symptoms, pritchke? If not, I doubt it's anything serious. A lot of spiders bite out of irritation or fear, but they are seldom poisonous. [/QUOTE]No, just very tender and swollen, near the bite, as well my leg started to feel like it was going numb, that is why I applied the dressing. I would have prefered to been stung by a bee, or hornet has it would not have lasted nearly so long. It was gone completly within about 5 days.

[ 07-07-2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 07-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
ACCKK!!! You're story scared me and I wasn't even there. I'm right there with you in the fear of spiders thing.
That's why I got me a boyfriend and 2 kitties to protect me. At least one of them is always around to get the evil spiders!!
Funny thing is my girlfriend usually handles the porch spiders, even though it's my smoking area. I had a moment of courage yesterday, one of those "I can face my fears" moments that certainly backfired!!! Now I'm back to square one, scream and run!

As for our two cats, they like to laze around house, only to stir for food or pets. Given their propensity to roll around on their backs looking cute, we don't let them out on our fourth floor balcony cause they might roll over the edge. Given how, umm, chubby they are, we fear they might not land on their feet due to sheer mass! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 03:51 PM   #9
pritchke

Okay, I can't help but do this:

Leaving lepidoptera - please, don't touch the display,
little boy, aha cute! Moving to the next aisle we have
arachnida, the spiders, our.. finest collection.
This friendly little devil is the heptothilidi, unfortunately harmless. Next to him, the nasty licosa raptoria, his tiny fangs cause creeping ulcerations of
the skin *laugh*. And here, my prize, the Black Widow. Isn't she lovely?.. and so deadly. Her kiss is fifteen times as poisonous as that of the rattlesnake. You see her venom is highly neurotoxic, which is to say that it attacks the central nervous system causing
intense pain, profuse sweating, difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness, violent convulsions
and, finally.. death. You know what I think I love the most about her is her inborn need to dominate,
possess. In fact, immediately after the consummation of her marriage to the smaller and weaker male of the species she kills and eats him - *laugh* oh, she is delicious.. and I hope he was! Such power and dignity - unhampered by sentiment. If I may put forward a slice of personal philosophy, I feel that man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child-king long enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:38 AM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

maybe you will be lucky and become Spider-Man!