Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

It's NOT terrorism. The damn pipe was installed in 1924.
But you gotta watch this video, and I'm sure for a few mins, some thought a building was collapsing. scary--even the sound.. bad memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImhkapRuIs

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
We had someone come home covered in dust today. Then the family phone chain got activated. "Should she see a doctor?" "I heard there was asbestos in there." "Isn't that only dangerous long-term?" "If she needs to see the doctor, the news will tell her to." "Good point. Like all good people, we do what the TV tells us to do." "I'm serious!" "I know you are." "Wait, who is this?" "I've forgotten."

But yeah, scary stuff there, and I had to make a few phone calls to make sure everyone was okay. It's a good thing very few people were hurt, relatively speaking. Though the news did irritate me to no end. It said that the incident was "NOT TERROR RELATED!" Now, belive you me, people were damn well terrified. I suppose it might be semantics, but I hate the way they use the word "terror" like that. It wasn't "terrorist" related. It wasn't "terrorism" related. Why couldn't they say that? Oh well.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, and what pisses me off, the way CNN has shots of 9|11ish shots of the incident, trying to make it look worse than it was. (While it is sad, someone did die, I know) but you know what I mean.

Hell, in 2 days, 2 different cars of people died trying to go around a train crossing while activated--and an Amtrak Silver bullet both times smashed into them doing 80mph....

4 teens
then the NEXT day, a man in a truck. Whats going on down here? Dangerous.... Some people don't have depth perception I guess.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Hahahahaha "The news will tell her to"

Shouldn't that pipe have been replaced though, I mean isn't that what the countless rules and regulations regarding our infrastructure for. Hasn't anyone ever seen a building codes book? There thicker than G.R.R.M.'s material.

Question Ziroc, how did those those brilliant people get past rail guard?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Scary stuff indeed. On my commute home, it sounded like it was an inconvinience, nothing more (I was listening to 1010 Wins, a news station). I didn't watch the news last night, and had no idea how severe this really was until driving to work this morning. I feel worse for the guy in the medically induced coma, with 80% of his body covered in burns. I can't think of anything more painful than what this guy will go through, if he lives.

Illumina, if your friend needs a chest X-Ray (I'd think anybody near the incident should need one), and you live anywhere near Yonkers, it's where I work. I'll get ya past the line.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
We had someone come home covered in dust today. Then the family phone chain got activated. "Should she see a doctor?" "I heard there was asbestos in there." "Isn't that only dangerous long-term?" "If she needs to see the doctor, the news will tell her to." "Good point. Like all good people, we do what the TV tells us to do." "I'm serious!" "I know you are." "Wait, who is this?" "I've forgotten."
The danger from asbestos is often exagerated. That said the correct thing to do would have been to put all the contaminated clothes in a bag, and seal the bag. Then take a long shower. That should have all been done as soon as the person got home, because everything they touch could get contaminated.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've often wondered why NY had a network of steam pipes underground. I was going to ask, but as it turns out, there's a helpful video that explains their function on the list following the clip that Z posted. Sounds like they're up for some maintenance. I feel sorry for poor guy who copped it worst.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Wow that was bigger than I expected! No doubt it probably scared the crap out of a lot of people, especially with all of the vague warnings the government is giving us regarding upcoming terrorism attacks. I also feel extremely sorry for the guy who was badly burned by the steam.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Balintherlas:

Shouldn't that pipe have been replaced though, I mean isn't that what the countless rules and regulations regarding our infrastructure for. Hasn't anyone ever seen a building codes book? There thicker than G.R.R.M.'s material.
Yesterday on the news I heard that a sink hole opened up on the most populated street in Greensboro, though luckily at 3 in the morning and not at rush hour. A water pipe network that dates back to the 1930s had finally gave away and the result was that one car was completely swallowed by the resulting hole in the street. The people were able to get out of the car before the car went completely under. Greensboro authorities say that there are pipes all over the city that date back sometimes earlier even than 1930!

The hole will cost the city $75,000 to fix.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
The danger from asbestos is often exagerated. That said the correct thing to do would have been to put all the contaminated clothes in a bag, and seal the bag. Then take a long shower. That should have all been done as soon as the person got home, because everything they touch could get contaminated.
Are you sure about that Seraph? Asbestos is dangerous when inhaled, not when it touches something.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote