Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-21-2001, 07:20 PM   #1
Ares

Can someone tell me where to find it? I really want it just because i dont have it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2001, 07:51 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

sigh.

when coming out of brynn law (aka spellhold island) take havareans boat instead of irenicuses portal. theres a moderatley tough fight on board (tough because my mages tended to be close to the enemy) against some githyanki who want their holy weapons thing back. this is why havarean was so insistent upon giving it to you.

having thrashed the githyanki (or survived > 10 seconds) the sahaugin will capsize the ship and take you to their city. here there are many,many great items and an exit to the underdark, where you will hear of irenicus again.

*cut to athkatla*

in the docks a mad, wild mage githyanki will try and persuade you to return the blade, upon refusing (after all wild mages suck and are easy meat), more githyankis will door in and you will kill them. one holds the hilt.

go to cromwell, conviently just round the corner.

for some reason the giths just seem to forget about you from here on in.

just because you dont have it is hardly a reason to get this weapon. because its one of the most powerful weapons in SoA is more like it. (their a vorpal axe in ToB which you can dual weild with crom faeyr - ouch.)
Old 11-21-2001, 07:58 PM   #3
Ares

ahhhh...thats the Silver Sword...unless their the same i already have it
Old 11-21-2001, 09:19 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

yup, the silver sword is the vorpal sword. there is also a vorpal axe and i heard a vorpal dagger. how you get a dagger that can sever head in one blow is beyond me tho.

vorpal is just a power of the item - like other items a +$, this sword is vorpal. it means it has a chance to inflict isntant death on humanoid enemites. as in not dragons
Old 11-22-2001, 05:40 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

And therefore, the sword is pretty good! If you can, you should let Cromwell make it. IMHO it's the second best sword in the game! The Holy Avenger is better, of course, but I think the Vorpal Blade is pretty awsome as well! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 11-22-2001, 10:56 AM   #6
Ares

I dont play D&D on pen-paper so i wouldnt know [img]smile.gif[/img] But thanks for clearing it all up for me!
Old 11-22-2001, 12:24 PM   #7
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I actually think that the Vorpal Sword is quite a bit better than the Holy Avenger. I have Keldorn in my current party but I always use the Silver Sword instead of Carsomyr. The chance to outright kill things is just far too tempting. By the higher levels (i.e. when you might be able to actually get the vorpal sword) you don't need the extra +1 ThAC0 all that much. And the loss of one point of damage and the dispel ability is more than made up for in the ability to sever liches heads in one blow.

This sword has made many a difficult fight unbeleivably easy. The Twisted Rune? Pansies the lot of them...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-22-2001, 12:29 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I actually think that the Vorpal Sword is quite a bit better than the Holy Avenger. I have Keldorn in my current party but I always use the Silver Sword instead of Carsomyr. The chance to outright kill things is just far too tempting. By the higher levels (i.e. when you might be able to actually get the vorpal sword) you don't need the extra +1 ThAC0 all that much. And the loss of one point of damage and the dispel ability is more than made up for in the ability to sever liches heads in one blow.

This sword has made many a difficult fight unbeleivably easy. The Twisted Rune? Pansies the lot of them...

I agree Carsomyr isn't necessarily better than the Silver Sword. But the same is true vice versa. It just depends on how you use it. Personally, I think if you're fighting someone who continually casts Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting on you while hiding under protection spells, the Avenger's Dispel Magic and 50% Magic Resistance will come in more than handy. Just as the Silver Blade is useful when you get a lucky hit against a dangerous creature which does lots of damage.

IMO, it's stupid to call something "the best weapon" anyway. There are a few weapons in the game that are exceptionally useful, but it all depends on how you use them and on the particulars of the fight you're in. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 03:45 PM   #9
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

What if you chose to go through Jon's portal instead of the boat trip? Is there any way of getting it without reverting to a saved game? I am already way past there.
Old 11-22-2001, 03:49 PM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Ludtke:
What if you chose to go through Jon's portal instead of the boat trip? Is there any way of getting it without reverting to a saved game? I am already way past there.

No, I'm afraid you can't get the blade anymore save through cheating.
Now that you know this, you should always go via the Sahuagin City - it gives you too many good items to miss out on! [img]smile.gif[/img]

ITEM SPOILERS:
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
Such as the Wave blade (the Wave is a great halberd, little used but very effective once you spend a few proficiency slots on it [img]smile.gif[/img] ) the Cloak of *cough*Cheating*cough* Mirroring , a nice Rod and the Silver Blade. Plus you can seel your stuff at the Priestess how sells cheaper than she buys! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Melusine ]