Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-10-2002, 05:29 PM   #1
Sir Atlas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have been trying to get a romance going with jehiera, and am currently in chapter 6. I have gotten decently fair in our romance , but lately she hasnt said jack. I found out im not quite to the point we are a "couple" because upon entering bhodi`s graveyard (in ch 6) she did not take jahiera for a vampire hostage. So i reloaded to right before entering the graveyard and have been wandering about. For the life of me, i cant get the quest started with returning the mans body to the harpers, or have had Jahiera called off for her quest for her pin. This is my 2nd time around BG2 (the other was a while back) and had no problem romancing with Aerie. Is there some way i can fire up this romance again? I have done the cursed mission where she gets cursed and bought her a locket. Thanks guys
Sir Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
Erydian
Manshoon

Jaheira's romance is reportedly buggy, even post-patch. Numerous problems have been witnessed - including slow progression such as you seem to be experiencing.

It's strange that you haven't been able to at least find the poisoned man, every time I have played that has happened the first or second time I ventured out from Athkatla. Are you sure you didn't miss him?

I currently have a game going in which my protagonist is romancing Jaheira, and I haven't had any problems so far. Most romances do not take place within the city, and I know that Jaheira's Harper Quests also do not. They also are supposed to operate on real-time (not game-time) so sometimes leaving your game running for an hour or so speeds things up, as does leaving the game paused. Other times there's something you actually have to do in the game - a related quest or what not in order to get the romance to progress to the next stage. For instance, if you haven't started Jaheira's Harper quests, that might be what is holding up your romance currently. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure whether or not you can even get the Harper quests without first rescuing the poisoned man. Is Xzar present in the Docks District? If so, try talking to him and getting that quest.

Dropping a romance candidate from your party also ends whatever romance you'd started with that candidate. This includes petrification in Jaheira's case(as petrified members drop from your party automatically).

You can either use the CLUA Console (or an editor such as ShadowKeeper)to reactivate the romance, or you can download an unofficial patch that is supposed to fix many of the problems (script errors) related to the Jaheira romance here. I'm not certain whether this patch will fix your romance once it has already been triggered, but it's worth a try.

You may want to patch, leave Athkatla, and see whether or not things improve for you, and then reactivate the romance if nothing changes. If that doesn't work, you may need to use CLUA to create Renfield - it really is strange that you haven't run into him.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-10-2002, 10:39 PM   #3
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

Just finished the Jaheira romance myself. (Keep your dirty thoughts to yourself [img]smile.gif[/img] I had to use Shadowkeeper to go back and edit the romance, apparently I had pissed her off at some point. So that's what I would recommend: get Shadowkeeper, find the variable for the poisoned man, activate it, then keep a close on that Jaheira romance variable.

If you have trouble figuring out how to work with Shadowkeeper, just post another message and I'll see if I can help.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:48 AM   #4
Sir Atlas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmm, it might be possible for me to have completely missed the renfield quest, but after checking my journal for quests and finished quests i have not discoved anything which would say so. I have spoken once with this Xzar, which had a very pointless quest for me if i remember since i am a paladin, i turned him down (probably the wrong thing to do) . I do remember my previous game the jaheria stuff went along just fine, but this time it is rather buggy. I havent even gotten into any of jaheiras quests besides her poisoning, which is very odd, i think its a bug. I have tried using shadowkeeper to import renfields body to gain access to the harper hold by presenting it to the door guard, but no new dialogue options show up, but i will keep trying. It is very possible that jeheira could have gotten petrified, with my luck that is very possible. I am unfimiliar with shadowkeeper though, it seems useful to check out items i dont have and want to aquire though I have Shadowkeeper 1.4 BTW. Thanks for the replies, it has already helped immensely!
Old 01-11-2002, 05:00 AM   #5
Whailor

Allrighty.. First of all the Xzar quest comes after you turn in the body of the Renfield. So you have done that part, just that you turned the rest of the quest down. That Xzar quest leads to Jaheira being called away and all that, basically it's the Harper quest for Jaheira. I have done that quest though while romancing someone else, and so it's not tied to the Jaheira romance. But yes, there is a chance that you did something which made her mad. I.e. didn't return the Renfield in time and he was dead? Just a guess.. Also if you remove Jaheira from the party and add her again later, the romance is messed up. Only time the romance wont break when she leaves the party is when she is called away. Also the petrification can mess up romances pretty well, as the NPC treat it as getting kicked out of the party. Go figure.

You should download the patch from Bioware and Baldurash. The usual timer of the Jaheira romance was way too LONG, and so it was halved. I haven't done this personally, but some did say that with the standard timer, the Jaheira romance was over after 100 in-game days!? Duh, I never play the game that long heh.. With the Baldurash patch and shortened romance timer, I have had the romance over in 40+ in-game days - romance + Harper plot quest. Harper plot quest without romance was over in some 20+ days. Also, messing with other women (i.e. in Ust Natha the Phaere thingie) will also end romance. Just remember to say the difficult "No" when the time is right (when you least would want to say it eheheh)
Old 01-11-2002, 05:08 AM   #6
Erydian
Manshoon

If you turned down the quest involving Montaron (given by Xzar), I don't think that your Jaheira romance is active anymore (could be wrong about this, but I've heard elsewhere that this is true). That quest is sort of your toe-in to the whole Harper business and Harper business is key to the Jaheira romance. It might also explain why you can't seem to find the poisoned man anywhere, though up until this point in time, I didn't think Xzar appeared until after the quest with Renfield was completed. So maybe you found him after all.

What you might have to do then, is respawn Xzar, so that you can take the quest this time around.

To spawn Xzar hit CTRL-Space to bring up your console window (at the bottom of the screen). You must have cheats enabled. In the console window type CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("xzar" and hit enter.

This should spawn Xzar - this time take his quest and you might be back on track again. I just tested this in my current game and it worked fine.

Alternatively, you could try simply reactivating the romance - though if the Xzar quest is crucial to Jaheira's subplot, I'm not sure if you'll get very far. To do this, bring up your console again and type the following:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("JaheiraRomanceActive","GLOBALS",1)
or
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("JaheiraRomanceActive","GLOBALS",2)

To enable cheats, go to the directory in which you installed BG2, look for "baldur.ini" and open it in notebook. Scroll down until you see a heading called "[Program Options]" (should be the very first heading) and add this new line to the group that you already see: Debug Mode=1 . Now you simply have to restart BG2 (if it's running) and your console should be activated. If you feel uncomfortable editing a game file like this, you can always make a backup of the .ini file.

To play it safe, always save your game before applying any cheats like this. While these particular ones *shouldn't* do anything out of the ordinary to your game, it is always a good idea.

ShadowKeeper does pretty much the same thing (you just get an interface to work with). You might want to upgrade your version. Mine is 2.1.4 and I downloaded that awhile ago [img]smile.gif[/img] . Though I don't think you can spawn NPCs or creatures into your game using ShadowKeeper, you can edit your romance variables. You'd simply load up ShadowKeeper, pull up Jaheira, and at least in my version - scroll over to the tab labeled "Global Variables". Then you would select the JaheiraRomanceActive variable and edit it as I've posted above.

Hopefully I haven't just posted a whole ton of info you already knew. [img]smile.gif[/img] Good luck with this.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-11-2002, 03:11 PM   #7
Sir Atlas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

wow, thanks erydian! This should help a lot, and i think you are right about the toe in for the harper quests. Let me check the shadowkeeper website to see if a more current version is up. I appreciate the help, and i will tell you how it goes!

Sir Atlas, Knight of the Radiant Heart
(who just happens to be Atlas:God of War in the BattleTech universe)
Old 01-12-2002, 08:42 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just to add a bit more into what Erydian said. Jaheira's romance is quite buggy. Installing ToB should fix this, but if you don't have it you may need to do some debugging. The command:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("JaheiraRomanceActive","GLOBAL")

It should have a 1 or 2, which means that the romance has commenced and you are "dating". A 0 would mean that you haven't started, 2 would mean that you were an item, and a 3 would mean that you must've done a BAD THING and she's dumped you.

If the number is 3 for any reason, then type in the following:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("JaheiraRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)

This will reset the romance back to "dating" stage and we can manually set it to where it should be.

Then type in the following:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("LoveTalk","LOCALS")

while the cursor is on Jaheira.

This will let you know where the romance is up to, or if it has been halted by a bug.

Let me know what the number is and I'll be able to help you further.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 02:55 PM   #9
Sir Atlas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i got TOB, so im hoping i got it fixeed. I will let you know what the number is , but 1st i have to go change my stupid street tires on my car to slicks for tonight, as the weather is too cold to grab traction. <---random insight into the life of Sir Atlas [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2002, 03:14 PM   #10
Sir Atlas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

the number is 27