Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 01:33 AM   #51
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Oh, and Mitro. Clerics can remove spell protections.

Dispel Magic.

Mages can strip any protections, while clerics can't.

You can't dispel a spell trap can you?
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:42 AM   #52
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:
Mages can strip any protections, while clerics can't.
You can't dispel a spell trap can you?

Just wanted to let people know that Clerics can remove spell protections to a certain extend. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What irks me is that the computer Mages are actually capable of being more powerful than the Human controlled one. During my Time Stops, I have actually seen the computer Mages cast Spell Sequencers and Spell Triggers... rightttt... ...

Then they also have Magic Tatoos and nearly all the Liches have some kind of Super Chain Contingency which allows them to cast Spell Trap and Absolute Immunity instantaneously... ...

If only my Sorcerer could do those things... *drools*, the power! The power! It corrupts!
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:24 AM   #53
DrakenKorin
The Magister

Uhm.

Why do you need non-detection?

With the staff of magi, as soon as they truesight, you can simply use it again, thus going invisible.

I'm afraid cleric's really can't do much about /that/.
DrakenKorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 09:17 AM   #54
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DrakenKorin:
Uhm.
Why do you need non-detection?
With the staff of magi, as soon as they truesight, you can simply use it again, thus going invisible.
I'm afraid cleric's really can't do much about /that/.

I like to keep my fingers in tip-top shape, and while zealously pressing the F2 key repeatedly sounds fun, I like to be able to cast my spells calmly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and welcome to the Ironworks Forums.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:07 PM   #55
Yggdrasil
Dungeon Master

I'm thinking of trying a half-orc cleric (priest of helm kit) solo game. That would be a blast.
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:27 PM   #56
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Yggdrasil:
I'm thinking of trying a half-orc cleric (priest of helm kit) solo game. That would be a blast.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 12-12-2001, 01:48 PM   #57
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

With a halforc cleric of helm, he won't need any. The only problem is killing bloody golems before you get the rod of smiting. Its painfully annoying. Iron Golem beat the crap out of the gated in Pit Fiends in a few seconds (shudders).

Cloak of Non-detection is useless, I always get detected just fine with True Sight, which is perhaps why the spell says it will. So, what is the mage going to do while the cleric casts Sanctuary? Its better than invisibility, he can cast some spells and stay hidden.

If your mage can use SPELL TRIGGERS, he has obviously be given the chance to prepare. In that time, the cleric could ALSO prepare by summoning creatures, using Aura of Flaming Death (lots of damage for a mage to absorb for each spell they cast I think), Blade Barrier if your too lazy to use stoneskin, Draw Upon Holy Might (and the other 3 or 4 HUGE bonus spells for clerics combat abilities) and can cast other spells.

Oh, wait, after I surivie your Wiltings, then I pelt you with energy discs and you won't be casting time stop in time. Poor mage.

And just why are melee attacks 'out of the question'? When your stuck with 50% spell failure, your not going to cast many/any spells for awhile. In that time, the cleric laughs as be beats the crap out of you.

The cleric would have put Aura of Flaming Death in place before the spell battle starts. A mage can survive 4 or 5 spells likley before keeling over and dying.

Oh, and I didn't get a reply to using the Antimagic scroll to make the mage unable to use any magic. I think that the cleric is about to beat the crap out of the mage by default at this time.

Yes as many have stated, no class is better than another really. Each has its uses and can beat another in many circumstances. Sometimes, a cleric can kill a mage, and perhaps, maybe, a mage MIGHT be able to hurt a cleric. JK a mage might be able to kill a cleric some times too.

If things are at low level, the mage is as good as dead. At midlevels, I think the mage would win. At high levels, I think its all circumstance.
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 02:22 PM   #58
CmdChicken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Time stop is cast instantly.
Mages have energy disks.
Mages can summon Planetars.
Mages have 'buffing' spells, like tensors transformation ect.
A mage could whack up a simalcrum/Projected image.

Think about it, even if you survive the contingencies/spell triggers the mage would simply cast time stop, smack you about a bit with the staff of the ram, summon a Planetar, run away, let the Planetar beat you up a bit, cast time stop again, smack you up a bit.....

My sorceror can cast 4 level 9 spells and he isn't even an uber-sorceror yet. Thats 3 time stops, and a Planetar. Or even better a Comet.... what ya gonna do when Time isn't even moving? Will you still be so smug when you wake up from your stasis to find several nasty looking comets/meteors/red dragon heads/skull traps/fireballs/Planetars/Dozens of hurled energy disks hitting you at the same time?
[img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] byebye Mr.Cleric heeeheeee
CmdChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 02:25 PM   #59
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I hated to do this, but so be it. By the way, Cloak of Non-Detection does work against True Sight, if yours does not, then you got a bug.

Contingency: Spell Immunity

Chain Contingency: Protection from Magical Weapons, Stoneskin, True Sight

Both set to cast on self when enemy sighted.

Equipment:
----------

Armour: Robe of the Good/Evil/Neutral Magi
Gloves: Anything
Helmet: Anything
Amulet: Amulet of Power
Rings: Ring of Free Action, Ring of the Ram
Cloak: Cloak of Non-Detection
Boots: Boots of Speed
Belt: Anything

Weapon: Staff of Magi

The moment you go hostile, there is nothing that you can do but wait and die... or run away.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:39 PM   #60
CmdChicken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

-made a few mistakes here, all of it goes -
CmdChicken is offline   Reply With Quote