Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-01-2003, 12:34 PM   #21
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Burger King is flame grilled but then re-warmed when you order it. Burger preparation in the fast food industry isn't so much a health issue as it is a taste issue. Check the health stats on any of them.

But, GO BK VEGGIE!!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Low fat, high protein, hold the mayo and substitue mustard to reduce the total fat content by another 50%. Thank you, Burger King, for taking us veggies into consideration, and thank you for buying MorningStar Farm veggie burgers (even if they are cheaper knock-offs), because it's Kellog's fastest-growing division 4 years running and is proof that the alternative diet market is profitable. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #22
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Whoa, not only lust for fatty food, but also lust for a quick buck. Would there be any judge who'd fall for such a stupid case ?
Never say never [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 03:09 PM   #23
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The worst thing is, like reloading against improved Illych, there are an unlimited number of tries. Each new plaintiff = new case, new facts. It only takes one win to set a horrible precedent. A really smart defense lawyer would get McD's to hire a plaintiffs' lawyer on the sly, and get a national class-action together. Once certified, people nationwide would have the option to join the class. Then McD's could whack one giant rather than play whack-a-mole.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:26 PM   #24
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
i don;t like veggies. most of them anyhow. like broccoli and cauliflower, and such. but i encourage my children to eat it. i don;t want them to have to live the way id o. whenever i go out i have to ask for them to hold stuff from my meal... like no tomatoes or lettuce on my sandwhiches, etc.

I don't like Cauliflower but I make a mean Curry Cauliflower dish, it has tomatoes, onions, light sour cream, green, red peppers, and spices (curry). I believe you could still eat these vegetables but the key is preparation, or serving and cooking in a way you like. I like to place broccoli in home made soup, by the time the soup is cooked the broccoli is practically dissolved.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:45 PM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
That is just criminal! Are his parents insane??

He should sue his bloody stupid parents, not McD's.
I was thinking the exact same thing as I read this. I DO feel sorry for the boy - being so fat has awful consequences as obviously he is experiencing with diabetes already. With parents like his, it'll probably be very hard for him to manage his diabetes by having a healthy diet considering this is the upbringing they've given him as well! Like Mel I had never even gone to McDonalds until I was about 13, though my family did have fish and chips once a fortnight or so, with healthy homecooked meals every other night. Kids eat what their parents give them; even a 15 year old isn't sufficiently knowledgeable about nutrition to make decisions about his diet for himself, especially with that sort of influence his whole life. How could parents think it was okay to have their child eat fast food every day! And how expensive would that be? I was watching Oprah a while ago and there was a family who had given their son a McDonalds charge card ( !!!), and was surprised when he racked up something like $200 within a few weeks! What type of responsible parent gives their kid unlimited access to McDonalds instead of making them a sandwich or something!!

I also agree with Timber about the new 'healthy' options on the McDonalds menu - nothing better for you than a caesar salad, complete with dressing, bacon, and croutons . They don't even try to make stuff healthy - even if they used canola oil or something for deep frying that would be one thing, but they use tallow [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] .

I heard about that study too Willow! I thought it was all fried foods though, not just potatoes that was bad, something to do with the frying itself?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:58 PM   #26
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

It is not just frying, but cooking at all. Acrylamides are natural pyrolysis products, generated whenever you heat food. (I'll look up which foods, if anyone cares, but I do know carrots are actually among the worst.) The rate of their formation is temperature dependent, so if you cook it with less heat, i.e., boiling water, you end up with fewer than if you cook it with more heat, i.e., boiling oil or grilling over flame.

IIRC, grilled carrots are among the worst known sources, since they have little water, and the temperature can skyrocket, making hundreds of times the "safe" limit. Then again, we have been grilling carrots for millenia, and would have probably noticed something by now if it were as bad as we are making it out to be...
Old 05-01-2003, 08:25 PM   #27
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
But, GO BK VEGGIE!!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Low fat, high protein, hold the mayo and substitue mustard to reduce the total fat content by another 50%. Thank you, Burger King, for taking us veggies into consideration, and thank you for buying MorningStar Farm veggie burgers (even if they are cheaper knock-offs), because it's Kellog's fastest-growing division 4 years running and is proof that the alternative diet market is profitable. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Timber you are by now aware of my change in lifestyle. but the example you give is one of those many things that annoyed me. the fries *chips* are fried in oil contaminated with animal fat and over here at least they rewarm the vegie burgers in the deep fat fryer before serving it to you as a vegie meal.

But back on topic. Does any over there know what is happining to the kid in his daily life? Is he on a diet or has is parents just substituted McDonalds for burger king or KFC ect. Surley this is an important legal question?
By allowing him still to eat fast food from other outlets is that not letting McDonalds off the hook?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 05-02-2003, 03:13 AM   #28
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I am getting to where I literally want to gag when I see what is served at McCrap or Waxy King. Their food is nasty. Donna brought home Mc Crap, and I looked at it for a few mins, and decided to have a power shake [img]smile.gif[/img] . That shit is just gross folks. All these fastfood places pushing out fried crap, and increasing the 'SUPER SIZE' to EXTRA SUPER SUPER DOOPER!!! and they wonder why America is 80% over weight.

I'm not a vegan or anything. I LOVE steak, but fast food died long ago for me. And I won't raise my kid on that crap just because I'm lazy to make dinner for him/her/monster [img]smile.gif[/img] /choc--hell, choc likes my power shake! [img]smile.gif[/img] (He gets only 1 lick though. Milk is bad for Cats)

I WILL have a White castle while I vacation in Louisville though [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyone going to the Derby? Not me Only been once 1985..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-02-2003, 03:54 AM   #29
Link
Jack Burton

It's not like McDonald's or Burger King (or any other fastfood chain) is the direct reason for the Americans to be fat. You've got a choice you know; not going to McDonald's and eating something healthy is just as easy.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 05-02-2003, 05:59 AM   #30
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I heard about that study too Willow! I thought it was all fried foods though, not just potatoes that was bad, something to do with the frying itself?
Well it is about the frying. It´s the temperature you see. At high temperatures acrylamide will be synthesized in potatoes and perhaps some other vegetables as well but definitely not all fried products. I´m not up to speed with the chemistry in this process so I´m not sure which fried foods can produce acrylamide. But the main point is that fried potatoes is the most common fried food we have.

Ziroc, right on! You don´t want to know what is in those burgers. The same goes for minced meat.