Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-05-2003, 05:23 AM   #11
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

LOL, I hate Star Trek but this is funny.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:08 AM   #12
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
ROTFLMAO that is SOOOO true!

Comments and Indentation are for the weak! Who in their right mind fills a complicated-enough looking structure with just more words unless they want to make it look like they REALLY worked hard on it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I do.

You try debugging someone elses work. Let alone your own work ten projects down the road.. why did i do that again???

It's not to make it look like i worked hard on it, that goes without saying.. it's to let other programmers (and myself) know what i was doing and why i did it.

When you get a job as a programmer and your first project is to finish off what the last guy/girl was working on when he/she left.. let's just hope it isn't a twenty mb program with no comments anywhere eh?

As far as indentation goes.. i do that because it looks cleaner imo. What will an employer think when you are showing them your portfolio and some of your code modules and you have if-tests or select cases/switches within select cases/switches and no comments anywhere. The next dude applying for the job does have comments in there and his/her code is more readable thanks to the indentation? Whose work is easier to understand? If your going to be on your own.. well then well and good continue programming klingon style.. if you are going to be working in a team environment.. you'd best learn to start commenting..
[/QUOTE]Djinn,
I feel your pain!! That's what it's like every day here!! Not only does the old code NOT have comments, but no one ever thinks to take the time to write suppport documentation. So here's my first day at this place 2 years ago:
"Here's our data feed, it's the most important process in our entire company, without it, we're dead. We've had it for about 10 years. We don't know how it works, go find out"
Ever work as a programmer at some company and wonder how they've managed to stay in business as long as they have?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #13
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:

Djinn,
I feel your pain!! That's what it's like every day here!! Not only does the old code NOT have comments, but no one ever thinks to take the time to write suppport documentation. So here's my first day at this place 2 years ago:
"Here's our data feed, it's the most important process in our entire company, without it, we're dead. We've had it for about 10 years. We don't know how it works, go find out"
Ever work as a programmer at some company and wonder how they've managed to stay in business as long as they have?
Because of people like you who keep the ship afloat. Overworked and underpaid.. That sounds pretty much like the project i've currently inherited.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:34 PM   #14
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
5. What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'.
Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Well, I'd hate to be a designer at Klingon-Tech. I can just imagine.
(In Klingon)
"The software has escaped!" - Programmer
"So?" - The human soda machine guy
"It's headed your way!" - Programmer
"..." - Dead human soda machine guy
Old 02-06-2003, 08:09 PM   #15
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

too much trekkie stuff for me
Old 02-07-2003, 10:22 AM   #16
MagiK

I am a Sysadmin and altho my title says I am a systems programmer I do not program [img]smile.gif[/img] . I do however, especially like #5 on the list [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]