Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I just re-installed Might & Magic 8, but it won't run. I think it doesn't like the newer version of Directx. Any suggestions would be most welcome. thanks

[ 02-23-2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 02-23-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
Target
Red Dragon

You don't have an older version of Directx you can install over your newer one do you?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I was thinking of that, but then other games won't work.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:04 PM   #4
JOE030303
The Magister

try creating a boot disk with just what you want to run on it or partion you're hard drive

[ 02-23-2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: JOE030303 ]
JOE030303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
Holywhippet
Dungeon Master

DirectX should be fully backwards compatible. What OS are you running? If you are running XP have you tried adjusting the compatibility mode?
Holywhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Holywhippet:
DirectX should be fully backwards compatible. What OS are you running? If you are running XP have you tried adjusting the compatibility mode?
Can you explain that a bit more? I do have XP. Are you refering to the Hardware and Software etc. settings? I tried a few different things there but no success.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #7
Ben Lauritson
Dungeon Master

I had the same problem with MM7 recently, try running in software mode rather than hardware mode. That's what did it for me.

EDIT: You could also try disabling all the 3D stuff in DirectX (Direct3D etc.), then enabling them one-by-one to see if any of them are causing the problem.

[ 02-24-2004, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Ben Lauritson ]
Old 02-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Lauritson:
I had the same problem with MM7 recently, try running in software mode rather than hardware mode. That's what did it for me.

EDIT: You could also try disabling all the 3D stuff in DirectX (Direct3D etc.), then enabling them one-by-one to see if any of them are causing the problem.
Thanks, do I do that in the start menu?
Old 02-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #9
Holywhippet
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:
Originally posted by Holywhippet:
Can you explain that a bit more? I do have XP. Are you refering to the Hardware and Software etc. settings? I tried a few different things there but no success. [/QUOTE]Open up Windows Explorer. Find the executable that you have to run to play M&M 8. Examine the shortcut that is under the start menu if you aren't sure. Right click on it then choose properties. Up the top of the properties window will be some tabs. The second one is compatibility. Click on it. Check the box saying to use compatibility mode and tell the game to run in Windows 98 compatibility mode.
Holywhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:07 PM   #10
Ben Lauritson
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Lauritson:

Thanks, do I do that in the start menu? [/QUOTE]OK, in the start menu, click Run, and type in dxdiag and click OK. Click the Display tab, and disable anything that may be enabled, such as DirectDraw acceleration, Direct3D acceleration etc.

Without these, it should force MM8 to use software mode, but just to make sure (assuming you installed it under the default start menu group):

In the start menu, select Programs, then select 3DO, then select Might and Magic VIII, then there should be a Might and Magic VIII Configuration Utility. Click that, then make sure it's set to software 3D. You might also want to disable accelerated 3D audio if it's not already disabled, just in case.

That's how I got MM7 running on WinXP, and so I presume it would work the same for MM8.