Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2002, 09:10 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Is there anything I can do about swords breaking? It's really a pain. I'm about 3 or 4 game days into BG, and already I've had 2 swords break - one in Candlekeep 'fighting' in Obe's room.
I know the plot is about 'bad iron' but I am starting to consider carrying spare swords with me, lol.

An unrelated observation - why can I stack only 20 arrows per inventory slot - in IWD & BG2 I could carry 40 each. Game design?
Old 02-17-2002, 09:17 PM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Swords will break. You can't do anything about it, unless you find a magical one. They will not break, ever.

And the arrows are indeed due to game design.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:23 AM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Does it happen to normal swords only, or to all weapons made of metal, like war hammers, morning stars, etc?
What about metal armour (chainmail, plate mail, etc)?
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 05:22 AM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

I've only ever had swords break!
Old 02-18-2002, 07:07 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Even nonmagical quarterstaves and spears, which are made (almost) entirely of wood, break occasionally. Although it does seem to happen more often with swords and other metal weapons. And I do seem to remember a suit of armor crumbling away off my torso once, although that was a long time ago, so I wouldn't want to swear on that.

And yes, Hayashi, carrying spare weapons until you get hold of a magical one is a good idea.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:56 PM   #6
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Worst thing is with 2H swords (for my favorite insane ranger) - it's so damn difficult to get a magical one (stupid half-ogre IIRC) he usually has to load up with non-magical ones.

As to the other point, on my most recent play through it annoyed me enough to create new item files for all types of ammo with a stackable value of 50 - much more pleasant to use
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 04:07 PM   #7
david_m11
Dungeon Master

The swords are breaking because of all that crappy iron coming from the mines. Make sure you carry a spare until you get a decent magical weapon.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:34 AM   #8
Inoma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think somewhere close to the Temple east of Beregost there is a half-ogre with a twohanded +1.

I've broken Kivan's spear and my Spiked Mace (forgot what they were called).

Twohanded sword broke when foubt the south mercenary in Candlekeep. I just think it's a good thing. Perhaps you parried the blow and it broke the sword?

I think all weapons can break, but it might depend on your strength. You'll come across many magical, though.

Some special arrows (+1 I've seen) can have more than 30. I once had 37 +1 arrows, and I did not install an editor to make it happen.
Although you CAN use GateKeeper and collect your arrows into one. That wouldn't be cheating, just stocking your arrows as long as you don't add any more arrows.
<br />Lysander Silverinch, elven Ranger inspired by Kivan.<br />[url]\"http://bgbloodline.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://bgbloodline.netfirms.com</a> Team Lead and Design of Baldurs Gate: Bloodline, an unofficial expansion for Baldurs Gate and TSC.
Inoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 04:51 AM   #9
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

J'aran...that armour crumbling away happened to me also once.

Wait until you get to Nashkel mines, outside them you find a person who you can get a magic sword off, 1d10+2(+1cold) if I recall correctly. Should serve for the whole game.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 09:31 AM   #10
Arwyn the Betrayer
Manshoon

That bounty hunter guy, correct? Or is there another one?
Arwyn the Betrayer is offline   Reply With Quote