Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2002, 06:56 AM   #1
Wedin

Where is that Joril-fellow? Can't seem to find him anywhere
Old 02-25-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
Sir Moosington
Dungeon Master

If I remember correctly, he can be found at Wyrms Tooth glacier. His lair is across a bridge to the southwest. Of course you will need to repair the bridge first......
Old 02-25-2002, 07:37 AM   #3
Wedin

IC. And how does oone do that?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:07 AM   #4
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Spoiler
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Talk to the slaves in the basement of the museum with all the frost salamanders in it. One of them can give you a book. Go with the book to the bridge and it will repair itself automaticly. The slave i'm talking about is to the most left of the screen.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:39 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Urm... ...

I have freed the slaves, will that book slave still be there?

I did not check that particular corner again.

I am currently in Lower Dorn Deep, and I hope I did not screw up anything.

I knew that portion of the game seemed too easy... and short... My goodness... I entered Lower Dorn Deep with too little experience, no wonder it felt like Hell and it would explain the presence of so many high level spell scrolls which my Mage could not use yet... Fighting seven( eight?) Fire Giants and some uber Elf warrior when my party Mage can only cast up till level five spells is not a walk in the park. I am still surprised nobody died... had to do a lot of micromanagement though.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:23 AM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Oh, yes. When the slaves are freed he drops the book for you. As a critical item (that is, you can't finish the game without it) it is always available.

Yes, on the one hand I think you're a bit too low level for Lower Dorn's Deep but if you survivied the fight against Maiden Ilmadia then your tactics must have been excellent. (She always starts off with potions of speed and storm giant strength. ouch!)

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:10 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Booyah, I got the book and completed the game.

I don't know about you, but somehow... when the fight involves your Halfling Fighter/Thief and Human Paladin running around screaming for Priests while your Archer( Fighter) pelts the Fire Giants and the Elf... and you keep shouting at your Mage to fire off those Magic Missiles faster... and you imagine your Cleric to be snidely commenting whether her comrades could stop losing Hp faster than she can heal... ...

Somehow, I don't think it can be called excellent tactics, but really desperate ones.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:31 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Excellent, desperate--there is no difference if they are successful. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] How did you fare against Malavon? I thought he was the toughest lieutenant....

Old 02-27-2002, 10:44 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Excellent, desperate--there is no difference if they are successful. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] How did you fare against Malavon? I thought he was the toughest lieutenant....

He would be... if he didn't decide that he should unleash his rage on the hapless deep gnomes... my average party level was 8-9.

You know how there are several rooms in that area, and several of them are inhabited by deep gnomes? I was in the room left of the room where Malavon is. Now... here is the thing, I only used my Paladin( wearing the boots of speed) to scout, so only he was in visual range of Malavon, and when Malavon threathened to kill the deep gnomes unless I drop everything, my Paladin complied. Malavon then unleashed his Iron Golems and whatsuch on my Paladin( thankee for the pause function, my Paladin re-equipped in the blink of an eye).

The thing is... because it was Malavon who attacked the deep gnomes, they panicked and attacked him, thus making them hostile to each other. It was cute to see them poking the Iron Golems and Umber Hulks. Anyway, my Paladin lured Malavon's minions to the rest of the party and we bashed them up. Malavon was still in his room and my three tanks( Paladin, Fighter, Fighter/Thief) rushed him while my Cleric, Mage and Archer( Fighter) stayed outside, but he casted some purplish fog and I forced my three tanks to retreat. I was about to get out of sight when... Malavon decided to Dimension Door into the room where my party was. How convenient... ...

So my Archer starts pelting him with Acid Arrows, disrupting his spell casting, while my tanks wailed on him. After two rounds, he DD again... into another room when the deep gnomes were, casting a Web + Cloudkill combo. My party was out of sight, so we waited... ...

Malavon goes to three rooms, all except ours... casting his Web + Cloudkill combo... my party are making tea, polishing their nails, writing the next great symphony, waiting for the spells to wear out while we listened to the screams of terror from the deep gnomes.

Eventually, Malavon DD back to us, but he was depleted already, and his defences were down... so it was a simple matter of smacking him from then on... ...

It bugged me that Malavon considered the deep gnomes to be bigger threats then my party... ...

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 02-28-2002, 12:12 AM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

[img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] True, Malavon shouldn't even worrty about the gnomes. The overall tactics they have for him--cast an area effect spell and dimension door into another room--would be really great if his AI were just a little bit better. Unfortunately, I don't write scripts yet....