Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2001, 12:36 AM   #1
Ladie Jas
Dungeon Master

Whats the story with this Yaga Shura's Lair... I am swamped with Fire giants and just get hammered....Any easier way around this..????

------------------
Justice and Honour will prevail....
Ladie Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 01:48 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I'm assuming you are referring to the Second Floor of the Lair where you have to go through a shielded staircase. The place where you fight his right-hand man and several other Firegiants.

Other areas only have 2 Firegiants at a time.

Some interesting notes.

There are only two entrances, note that the entrances are too small for the Firegiants to go through.

Firegiants are not magic users(except for his righthand man), and NO way to detect invisibility.

What did I do?

Used one mage.

Get ready either use Staff of Magi, or Potions of Invisibilty. Wear Boots of Speed too.

RUN through the entrance and attract all the Firegiants. When satisfied, go invisible.

While they are still blur as to where you are, cast Misled.

The cute thing is, since you were originally invisible, your image is invisible too, making you... well... totally invisible. Since you can cast offensive spells invisibly under Misled.

Cast Simulacrum if you can, not necessary, but it can help. Cast as many Greater Malison as you like at the Fire Giants. Two is usually enough.

Here's the kicker, cast Emotion.

The bigger they are, the ~~ ~~

Ding! Ding! They are knocked out cold. Rush in the rest of your party and proceed to kick their butts to kingdom come.

Hope this helps!

Using this tactic, I did not even get a scratch. Joy.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 02:03 AM   #3
Ladie Jas
Dungeon Master

With much heartfelt Thanks Dundee Slaytern
I guess I came in through the backdoor....
So will try your strategy immediately....

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 02:04 AM   #4
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

posible spoiler
Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I'm assuming you are referring to the Second Floor of the Lair where you have to go through a shielded staircase. The place where you fight his right-hand man and several other Firegiants.

Other areas only have 2 Firegiants at a time.
In first room on first floor are 2 fire giants elite and perharps 4 fire giants.

I use on them several Abi Dazim's horid wiltings, it weakened them (40-50 HP) and Keldorn with Minsc finish this work.

------------------
Barbucha - a bear's bugaboo
Barbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 02:47 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbucha:
In first room on first floor are 2 fire giants elite and perharps 4 fire giants.
I use on them several Abi Dazim's horid wiltings, it weakened them (40-50 HP) and Keldorn with Minsc finish this work.
*scratches head*

Were there that many in the entrance room? Guess my Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings(ABHW) killed them too fast for me to take any serious notice.

I only recall fighting them in pairs until I reached the final room. If this is so, then I suppose ABHW bomb them.

Put three ABHW in your Chain Contingency, to trigger on nearest enemy when enemy is sighted.

Devas and other tough summons will help here. Finger of Death is a great spell too for one hit kills.

After Greater Malison of course.

If you can, make sure your tanks have hardiness activated. Helps a lot.
------------------

Baldur's Gate Item Mart

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 08-24-2001).]
Old 08-24-2001, 03:33 AM   #6
Ladie Jas
Dungeon Master

Once again many thanks Dundee Slaytern.. now its my turn to be a little confused....
but you mentioned two entrances...
I can only find one.. which would seem to be the first floor... there are 2 elite fire giants and four regular in this room... i cant enter here with only a mage as it is a party required area....

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 03:51 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ladie Jas:
Once again many thanks Dundee Slaytern.. now its my turn to be a little confused....
but you mentioned two entrances...
I can only find one.. which would seem to be the first floor... there are 2 elite fire giants and four regular in this room... i cant enter here with only a mage as it is a party required area....
My bad, I thought you were referring to the final room, which has a lot of Firegiants.

Okey-dokey, here we go. Prepare a Chain Contingency(CC) 'bomb'. Place 3 ADHW in your CC and set it to trigger when enemy is sighted and cast on nearest enemy(you can do this in the Pocket Plane, then rest to get your ADHW back). Before entering the room, 'cast' Hardiness on your tanks and prepare your mages(Stoneskin, Resist Fear, etc... ...).

Save game.

Enter the room, when your tanks engage the Firegiants, activate Greater Whirlwind. Get your mages to cast Improved Alacrity first, if they can, and proceed to wail on the Firegiants with spells. Finger of Death is a potent spell against them, if you have it. Otherwise, just cast ADHW repeatedly until they push up daisies. Make sure your tanks drink health potions when they have lost about one-third of their life.

PS: What is your party makeup?

------------------

Baldur's Gate Item Mart

Old 08-24-2001, 03:56 AM   #8
Ladie Jas
Dungeon Master

Myself.. Paladin L21, Minsc L20, Sarevok L20, Anomen Level 20, Aerie L15 Mage Imoen L17 Mage

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 04:30 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ladie Jas:
Myself.. Paladin L21, Minsc L20, Sarevok L20, Anomen Level 20, Aerie L15 Mage Imoen L17 Mage
Yay! A fellow Paladin player!

Let's see, not a very high level party for this stage of the game, but still doable.

Get Anomen and Aerie to memorise beforehand and cast Aerial Servants the moment you enter the room. The guy/gal with the lowest AC will be the main bait to distract the Firegiants. With the other two assisting.

Start drawing straws, either you, Minsc, or Sarevok.

Also, never let more than two Firegiants surround a tank, or as the saying goes, "Game over man, game over". And if you have it, activate Hardiness.

When you have the maximum 5 Aerial Servants, retreat your tanks behind them. Using the Aerial Servants as a hu-... er... airy shield? Your tanks can then get unharassed hits on the Firegiants.

You have one mage, one mage/cleric and one cleric capable of casting the spell Finger of Death. Use it.

Since Finger of Death has a longer casting time than Greater Malison, use one mage (either Imoen or Aerie) to cast Greater Malison, while at the same time, the others cast Finger of Death.

------------------

Baldur's Gate Item Mart

Old 08-24-2001, 09:33 PM   #10
Lestat
Manshoon

Wow, a big magic user! I just charge head on and sit back. Final outcome: Keldorn dead (as usual, since his Dex sucks) Minsc limping, Sarevok screaming "FEEL MY UNHOLY WRATH" and my monk gaining another 2 levels. I hate mages. That damn Karun the Black kept me at the edge of my seat, and he kept on casting finger of death on Imoen and Aerie
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote