Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 02:58 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Comics today are too complicated. The art and stories are still good, but 5-10 titles for each group with interlocking storylines make it too hard to keep up with what's going on. And who can afford it? It's the reason I stopped collecting a few years back.

Things were so much simpler before Mile High Comics placed it's first add in comics that actually included a price list. I think that was around 1980. Before that, all the adds to buy old comics had an address to send off for the catalog. Suddenly comics at the flea market went from 5/$1 to 50 cents or a buck a piece. No more great deals!

Remember the good old days when a FF/Avengers cross-over was hotly anticipated? And the whole thing was resolved in two issues?

My favorites from those days, were Avengers, X-Men (old then "new"), FF, Spider-Man, Thor!

Even back in those days Spider-Man had a couple of books, but nothing like today. Remember Spider-Man and the Electric Company?

What about some of the "off-brand" comics from companies like Atlas. Remember Tiger-Man?

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Old 10-29-2001, 03:03 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

Atlas!

The Cougar
The Destructor
The Phoenix
Morlock 2000 (or 2001?)
The Scorpion
Ironjaw
Planet of the Vampires

There were more I think!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark
Old 10-29-2001, 03:05 PM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

Kamandi The Last Boy On Earth!

Pure Jack Kirby, it was like The Planet Of The Apes but with other kinds of intelligent animals, too. Set during the world after the Great Disaster! I loved the series!

------------------

Mark
Old 10-29-2001, 03:21 PM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

At one point I was close to being obsessed with comics collecting X-men was my fave, but I would quite happily delve into just about any of the Marvel output.

Just looked in a cupboard and the first two mags I dug out were the King-size X-men annuals from 1981&2 (No.s 5&6).

Btw, here is a trivia question, whatever happeneed to the "Tigra" character - I know she was not that memorable, but I kinda had a soft spot for her...

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 03:22 PM   #5
Desuma_Malevois

My favorites were Wally Wood's 'T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents', 'Noman', and 'Dynamo'. I also really enjoyed DC's 'Metal Men' and the Carmen Infantino run of Deadman in 'Strange Adventures'. These comics are still a prized part of my collection.

------------------
Guerilla gourmet, and former proprieter of the KFA.

[This message has been edited by Desuma_Malevois (edited 10-29-2001).]

Old 10-29-2001, 03:22 PM   #6
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Wow!! This brings back some memories.

I used to have:

Avengers
Defenders
Captain America
Incredible Hulk
Spiderman (Amazing and Spectacular)
Thor
Ghost Rider
Fantastic Four
Iron Man
Ant Man (mini series about Hank Pym)
Scarlet Witch (another min series)

Okay, I'll stop now. I won't go into all of the DC comics I had. The earliest issue I had was an Incredible Hulk #12. My little brother sold a thousand of my comics for $5.00. Not each. He sold all of them for $5.00.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-29-2001, 03:26 PM   #7
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Which universe do you like best? ...........Marvel Comics, or DC Comics, and why.

My Fav was the Original Secret Wars, Where Spiderman got the Black Costume. I still have it at home the whole set.

------------------
Old 10-29-2001, 03:29 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
At one point I was close to being obsessed with comics collecting X-men was my fave, but I would quite happily delve into just about any of the Marvel output.

Just looked in a cupboard and the first two mags I dug out were the King-size X-men annuals from 1981&2 (No.s 5&6).

Btw, here is a trivia question, whatever happeneed to the "Tigra" character - I know she was not that memorable, but I kinda had a soft spot for her...

Seems like I remember something about her animalist side taking over!?!?!

Tigra was in the West Coast Avengers, I'm not sure what happened to her when they disbanded.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Old 10-29-2001, 03:30 PM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma_Malevois:
My favorites were Wally Wood's 'T.H.U.NN.D.E.R. Agents', 'Noman', and 'Dynamo'. I also really enjoyed DC's 'Metal Men' and the Carmen Infantino run of Deadman in 'Strange Adventures'. These comics are still a prized part of my collection.

You just said some magic words! My hope is that someone, someday will reprint all the Tower Comics books into a hardcover collection. I would buy it in a hearbeat! I have a few paperback sized reprint books! Good stuff! Wally Wood was a true master!

They are reprinting Deadman now in hardcover http://www.dccomics.com/ !

------------------

Mark
Old 10-29-2001, 03:31 PM   #10
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
... My little brother sold a thousand of my comics for $5.00. Not each. He sold all of them for $5.00.

Oooooooh, that's gotta hurt. Are you sure you didn't mean to say EX-little brother? ...or FORMER little brother? ...or DECEASED little brother?

I think the first one I ever bought was an Avengers from around issue 12, though I did get to raid my older cousin's stash of comics (when he didn't want them any more) and got a few 10 cent issues - Jerry Lewis and a Wonder Woman from the 50s, IIRC.

------------------
Guerilla gourmet, and former proprieter of the KFA.