Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-23-2001, 12:19 AM   #1
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I haven't fought any mind flayers yet. Any hints or suggestions on what works?
Old 02-23-2001, 12:28 AM   #2
Epona
Zartan

I always seem to have trouble with mindflayers. Because of that I've avoided that particular quest and am probably not the best person to give advice, but they have a bit of a tendancy to suck your brain out. One minute you have near perfect health, the next you're a pile of armour on the floor.
Probably best to get a group of summoned monsters between them and your party and pick them off from a distance.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:34 AM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Mindflayers --Evil creatures of destruction or misunderstood genius?

I don't think this is a spoiler as it is just a strategy.

I found the best way to fight mindflayers is to cast chaotic commands (cleric lv5 I believe) on your fighters. This makes them immune to all mental spells (domination, confusion, etc....) You can also use skeletons, b/c they are also immune to mental spells. I did both and sent my fighters and skeletons in to attack and had my mages/clerics sit back with range weapons. The only thing you need to watch out for is intelligence drain. The mindflayers will drain intelligence points and if you reach 0 you die. Potions of intelligence are good to combat this. Hope this helps!
Old 02-23-2001, 12:35 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Skeletons are particularly handy for this as they don't *have* any brains to be sucked up!
Yes, make sure they don't come near you, because they drain your intelligence (They can kill Minsc the not-so-bringht ranger with INT 6 in about 2 seconds!) so potions of Intelligence and the fifth level priest spell Chaotic Commands are helpful as well
Old 02-23-2001, 12:36 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Whoa Moridin we must have a telepathic link!
Old 02-23-2001, 10:16 AM   #6
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I just finished Windspear Hills last night (killed Firkraag). Anyway, off of Digdag (?) or Tazok I got a "sewer key." Do I need this? I thought I had done everything in the sewers. Is the a quest I don't know about?

If someone could reply soon, I'll know what to do when I get home tonight.

Thanks, you guys are the greatest!
Old 02-23-2001, 10:22 AM   #7
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

SPOILER:
>
>
>
>
>
>
"Sewer Key" is from our good friend Tazok, it is used to unlock the "secret" door in the sewers under the Temple District, which leads to the mini-mind flayer dungeon. Be prepare for a good fight when/and if you enter.
Old 02-23-2001, 10:24 AM   #8
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i think you use it in the sewers in the temple dis.i think it's for the slaver quest in the temple dis. right hand corner of map(upper)i haven't done this quest so i can't be much help other than to answer your question,sorry
Old 02-23-2001, 10:55 AM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Spoiler
Just agreeing with Accord. The 'sewer key' is used to open the secret door in the sewers under the temple district. The door is located at the top of the map (near the door for the Haer-Dalis quest). Be extremely wary of many, many, many, many mindflayers!
Old 02-23-2001, 01:05 PM   #10
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Melusine--
With a pic like that we can have any kind of link you want (hehehe )