Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 08-19-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
tbelivea
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My automapping feature is screwy when I travel between Ishad N'ha and Brimloch Roon. It works fine around Valeia and west of Brimloch Roon.

I am only able to see my red directional arrow on a white screen with random splotches of green which appear every so often.

I am currently running WinXP Home, and the game works great in every other area.

I had the same problem when I played the game a few years ago with Win98SE. and thus the problem seems to be software related...

However, I do remember that a solution was found to solve the problem while using Win98SE, but I cannot remember what this particular solution was!

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I scrolled through every page of topics and did not find any other listings on this particular problem.

Thanks.
tbelivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

First of all: Welcome to the board. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

That is one problem I have never heard of before. I suppose you have tried the forum "search" option to search both the W&W forum and the W&W archives to see if anyone has had similar probelms?

Unfortunately I have not got a clue as to how to help you, but I am sure that within the next 24 hours you will have received the help you need. The people frequenting this place usually have an answer to every question. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
tbelivea
Elite Waterdeep Guard

By the way, I am:
using a Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
running Windows XP Home Ed.

and, I have:
a NVIDIA GeoForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
254 MB of RAM
DirectX 9.0b

Thanks again
Old 08-19-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
tbelivea
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I actually scrolled through all the old listings as well. And I reviewed the forums offered at a totally different site and still did not see anything about this problem. Of course, I scrolled through rather quickly and may have missed it...

I appreciate the response though
Old 08-19-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, tbelievea. May your journey through the Gael Serran be clear and unclouded.

As for your problem... I've noticed some areas in that same map where the outer range of the automap doesn't quite work well. Some parts are cut off, almost as if they hadn't been developed. I don't think I've seen what you're describing, though, except for when I've been tree-surfing and gotten off the beaten path, so to speak.

A couple of thoughts:

1. What version of DirectX are you using? Use dxdiag to find out. Version 9 may not be ready for prime time yet.

2. Are you using hardware or software acceleration for graphics? Software generally has fewer problems.

3. Are you using current vid card drivers? I expect Willow will be in around 5AM eastern to clue you in on the best versions to use (hi, Willow [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] )

4. Reaching deeper into the Bag of Nebulous Thought, what acceleration and such do you have set up for your desktop? Slowing it down may help.

5. Reaching deeper into said Bag, there can be video settings for your desktop that may affect things. But honestly, I have no clue as to what -- I'm running Win98.

6. Did you install the whole game to your hard drive? That can matter.

There's a start, at least. Let's see what else people come up with.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:51 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Hi Bungleau. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Welcome to the board tbelivea. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

OK from your config I noticed that you are using Dx9b. What drivers for your card are you using? You have the detonator FX drivers right? If you don't you need to update them immediately since older drivers do not offer dx9 support.

Anyway, all I can think off is that this is a driver issue. Try updating to the latest , 45.xx something. Since you are using an FX card you need those latest crappy drivers. It may be that you need to bust back to DX 8.1. I have no idea what kind of Dx 7 support version 9 offers. I haven't tried Directx 9 yet since no game demands it so I can't speculate on gaming stability.

I'll have to disagree with Bungleau on point 4 though. Graphics acceleration shouldn't be reduced, rather it should be set at maximum. (check the tech thread on instructions how to change this. I believe it's in there somewhere.)

But first try to check your driver version for us. You can find that in the graphics tab in dxdiag. [img]smile.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

*looks again* Hey, the directx version was in there all along!

*takes out eyeballs* Last time I get the ones on sale at Wal-Mart [img]smile.gif[/img]

*puts 'em back in* You were in later than I expected, Willow. Sleeping in these days?

I'll defer to you on acceleration, especially since I'm using an old card of some sort or another where acceleration is a newfangled concept used by hippies and freaks [img]smile.gif[/img] One of these days, I'll get a real vid card.

I seem to recall other folks talking about problems with DX9. You may seriously want to consider moving back to 8.1, as Willow suggested.
-+-+-+
Old 08-20-2003, 09:57 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
I'll defer to you on acceleration, especially since I'm using an old card of some sort or another where acceleration is a newfangled concept used by hippies and freaks [img]smile.gif[/img] One of these days, I'll get a real vid card.
Actually you should have no problem with max acceleration when playing W&W with your video card Bungleau. But you must remember to change it back when done playing W&W.

However, the video card in question is a Geforce 4 MMX and that should have no problem whatsoever with max acceleration. [img]smile.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:54 PM   #9
tbelivea
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I appreciate the numerous responses from everyone...

However, you may have missed the fact that this problem (and only this problem) occured while using an older computer, Win98SE, older DirectX, and older video/sound cards/drivers.

Why would the same exact problem occur on my brand new machine again unless the problem is software related?

There was a solution though...hmmm...I simply can't remember if I tinkered with the drivers or merely adjusted the in-game options.

Anyway, Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:04 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... well, if you came across the solution here, there is a separate forum for W&W archives. You might start searching through there.

Devil of the thing is that I haven't seen this with anyone else, nor apparently have any of the other more seasoned folks here. So what we can offer you is the tried and true bag of tricks that tends to fix most issues, and hope that something in there takes care of it. The usual culprits are drivers, directX, and settings... perhaps it's one of those again.

Sorry we can't help you more. But we're well worth the price of admission [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+