Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Chapter II: The Reach of Talryr

'The seeds of doubt have been sown, mistrust has spread among them and yet for all that, their differences grow weaker as their bonds grow stronger. That which shall come to pass shall herald the truth, as their lies and mistruths are shed in the light for what they are. Bound together by a web of lies and bought by greed and promises of wealth, theirs is a frail trust at best. Three of their companions have fallen already and more shall surely follow. Hidden conflict tears at the edges of their cluster, yet they know it not. They gather around the one that guides yet, the one they draw strength from is far more than appears, yet they suspect nothing. They are fools, ignorant tools that follow blindly without hesitation. Guided to a destiny that even their guide knows not.

Even now, the predators close ranks around them but they are blissfully unaware. Most deadly perhaps, is the predator that stalks amongst them, the unseen blade that stirs; striking deeply leaving echoes and far flung ripples in its wake. To those with such knowledge, a healer’s blade may strike with surgical precision curing aliment, but when reversed, those same hands and knowledge become the tools of an assassin. A sword may cut both ways and it is such with these; wielded effectively, they may prove to be a weapon yet, or they may prove to be a scalpel. They may either heal or destroy. A tool is only as effective as the hand that wields it.

Theirs is a burden that affects more than they yet know and by the time they discover, it shall be too late to stop that carnage that shall surely ensue.

In that maelstrom that follows, their bonds shall bind tighter, or shatter forever, damning them in darkness.

No one suspects. Yet.'

"Their Capital shall fall and with it hope shall die. The jaded star burns more brightly and as it falls a second time, it shall herald His coming – His return. Those with the Gift shall awaken as the Bloodfire stirs and those who wield the Arts shall know fear. The time draws nigh, for a new shall be forged in him image, born from the blood and fire of all. The Master shall return to consume the land."

So sayth
Azaroth, Sage of Adura

~ from the Scriptures of Starfell Sorcery, The Prophecy for His Return

~~~
A brief summary of the events preceding so far:

So far the intrepid adventurers have journey many ..hours, and fair few days having gathered from a minor incident at a river-bridge that united and branded them all as outlaws. The self-acclaimed ‘Lords of Vision’, rulers of the badlands, rejected by the Capital, and feuded over for time out of mind. These new rulers have risen from the war mongering warlords and have sown the first seeds of a brutal empire, enforced by thuggish directorate and tyranny.

Rising up against this recently formed regime, the group are lead by a young hero known to them only as “Ydalon”. Under his leadership, they embarked upon a bold endeavour and sacked one of the Lords’ strongholds, burning their tower to the ground.

Before being resigned to the flames, Ydalon discovered the object of his search – an astral chart; an incomplete map of the stars. Despite this, the party were unable to capture the trove of gold and three of their number were consumed by the flames as they fled…

…Now they travel to Talryr, a small border town off the River Ryr. Weary from their travels, the group finds themselves upon the opposite bank of the Ryr, having just crossed it. Night is approaching and as dusk falls, the group to prepare for nightfall.

Isokla prepares the fire, awaiting Ydalon’s reply, while the ‘boys’ practice fishing with rods taken from reeds and rushes.

Of those who remain

Detheriel
Ydalon
Nivram
Telryn Gale
Zakaria
Keal

...and those who have fallen,

Narar, Ansolon &
Kagarioni Kathiron,

...may their deaths be not in vain

---

XP gained from the last chapter: Five Character Points each
Bonus XP awarded: Two Character Points
This means your total XP gained will be Seven Character Points

---
OOC: Take it from here guys [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Edit: This game is still open, so if you would like to join, just drop me a line, either via PM or by posting on the OOC thread which is located here: http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...8;t=000572;p=1
New players are always welcome, so don't feel discouraged - if you'd like to join, sign up and be welcomed (can't blame a DM for trying/recruiting, right? )
Edit the II: Before anyone asks about the name, the last chapter did not live up to its title since everyone persisted in duelling in the daylight, so this time... [img]tongue.gif[/img] . (Yes, it is my idea of a bad joke and alliteration gone wrong. So sue me. Actually, don't.)

[ 03-04-2006, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Ydalon

While digging the firepit, the boy looked back towards the river, inspecting each of the five men.
Tallest was Telryn, agreeable despite his intimidating appearance. The huge flail he carried like a toy club reinforced the danger potential of the scarred warrior.
Nearby stood his companion Detheriel, lithely built and in this thirties. He was an archer, but dwarfed his bow. A good-hearted man who was easily humoured, and seemed completely at ease in this environment.
Nivram was the strange one in the group. He seemed to have no compelling motivations, staying around only because he hadn't decided to wander off yet. He pursued his apparent goal, the finding of his sister, without haste or reasoned direction. A man with faith in fortune perhaps. But he was perceptive and quick of understanding if he had to be, and he was assertive in his ways. Where did his current mirth and playfulness fit in?
Then there was Zakaria. Though he was the smaller of the four, he still towered over Isokla, and especially himself. Zak was a dangerous man, combining sword and magic in a fight. He was keen to kill, and barked even more than he'd bite. His 'quick to anger' nature was already near legendary in the group, and none trusted or liked him much, with one exception.
Keal, only a year or four Ydalon's elder, had complete faith in Zak's good intentions. What special knowledge had brought him to that conclusion, the boy couldn't guess. This fifth member was a more recent, chance addition, and while he was silent and unproven, his strength was plainly evident in his trained appearance.

They were trying to catch fish by the ford, hoping for a fresh supper. Ydalon watched them, and was pleased. Four able warriors of differing ability and skill would go a long way towards improving the situation here, and the wildcard just might come through for them in a tight spot, if for no reason beyond his growing bond with Isokla.

She'd asked him after his plans in Telryr, and the difficulties in his relationship with his father, whom he'd told her to be boroughmaster there.

"There'll be an astronomer there to examine the chart," he told her, now keeping his voice low. "With luck she can help us understand, or we can use the tower to observe for ourselves.
"All the rest, supplies, safety, shelter... That's less important. I wouldn't track this map down if I didn't think it'd be one of few tickets out of some nearing trouble."

He shook his head, then fished his tin locket up from underneath his yellowed shirt. It received a brief polish before disappearing once again.

"As to the family quarrel, he's a busy man. But sometimes he finds a moment to curse me. He never had a say though, I choose my own company."

He said nothing for a moment, frowned briefly, and added flatly: "She'd still be here if he'd acted with more thought."
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Isokla nodded to Ydalon at his mention of an astronomer. Although versed in the arts of stargazing herself, she was by no means an expert and even though she had offered her aid, it would not hurt to have another piece together the pieces, so to speak. "I agree," she added softly, catching his eye and watching him with a quiet gaze. "By now, if any survivors had escaped they will have informed those who serve the Lords' and a bounty shall be upon our heads in short order. Expect mercenaries, bounty hunters and any local guard to come after us. With luck, we shall be well away before that can happen. Honestly, I am not happy with stopping here for the night but.. I suspect by the time we reach Talryr the gates will be closed and sneaking in under cover of darkness will be more dangerous than entering at first light. I expect that should the Lords' be on the lookout for us, they will expect that."

Changing the subject abruptly, Isokla asked with surprising gentleness as she saw him take out the locket, "Your mother?” She paused, "Or could it be… a sister?”

Continuing her observation of him, the young woman sat back on her hunches, seating herself on a nearby fallen log and brushed several strands of silvery hair from her eyes. Moderating her voice, she spoke in low tones, "Just how old are you anyway, Ydalon? You don’t look my senior – yet despite being youthful enough to be my younger brother, you speak with an authority and act with a direction that belies your age. When you speak, the others listen. Where you tread, the others follow. When you command, they obey.” The girl had not taken her dazzling blue eyes off him, but finally lowered them, "They respect and adhere to you. You seem to have a natural gift for leadership that few possess. Forgive me if I seem overbearing, but… how are you holding up? None of this can be easy. Whatever drives you can be no simple matter of merely overthrowing the Lords’ on a sheer whim alone.” Isokla paused and pleaded softly, "Tell me?”

Meeting his eye again, she finished, "Let me help, if I can. If you have a burden, I am willing to listen if you are ready to share. After all,” she added with a light smile, "we cannot have our gallant leader overcome with woes.”

~~~

Meanwhile, over the other bank of the river...

The mysterious figure skulked, collecting bullrushes and the occasional reed. Those fishing would see a figure hooded and cowlled occasionally bob up and down as it moved around.

[ 03-04-2006, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Old 03-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
dplax
Jack Burton

Nivram

At first, he tried fashoning a fishing rod using a sturdy looking reed, but it easily snapped when he tried bending it, so Nivram started looking for a young branch, which still bent easily, but also had strength in it. It took him close to fifteen minutes to find the right branch, and then fix a short bit of string at the end. Five more minutes were spent looking for about a half-dozen juicy looking worms, which Nivram shoved into one of his pockets until he needed them.

Not having a hook, Nivram first tried tying a knot around a worm, but tied it too tight, effectively cutting the worm in two in the process. Cursing he fished in his pocket for another worm, and managed to fix it to the end of the string. He went to the waterside and lowered the bait in the water. It did not take long for a rather big, and delicious looking fish to bite, but naturally, due to the lack of a hook, after biting the worm off the end of the string, the fish swam on, thanking the fates for this unexpected treat.

The same happened twice more. For his fourth try, Nivram lodged the makeshift fishing rod between two rocks, and dagger in hand waited for a fish to approach. As soon as he spotted the large carp, he jumped into the swift currents, ready to impale the fish on his dagger.

Two minutes later, after fighting with the surprisingly strong animal, it suddenly snuck under Nivram's shirt. All attempts to get it out were futile, and starting to get annoyed with the fish beating against his chest, Nivram climbed out of the water and after walking but a few feet, started getting out of his clothes, throwing the wet garments on the ground.

The cool night air felt cold on his skin, but he was finally free of the carp, which was struggling for air on top of the pile of Nivram's clothes. Turning to Telryn, watching from not far away, Nivram could not help grinning.

"That my friend is how you need to catch a fish."
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Telryn

Telryn smirked at the sight of Nivram first of all fighting with the "beast" in the water, and then what looked to him like a tri-way wrestling match between Nivram, the fish and his clothes.

His efforts had not been as productive as Nivram's. Deciding fishing was not his forte, he resorted to leaning close to the river, shield in hand, trying to scoop the fish out as they came close. He hadn't caught anything, but he'd came mighty close.

"If only we all had your skills at fishing Nivram," He said with a hearty chuckle.

OOC: I just hope the shield is water proof *wink* Was the only, ahem, slightly odd and interesting thing I could come up with to fish.

[ 03-05-2006, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Ivelliis ]
Ivelliis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

OOC: Ivelliis, it's Nivram and not Nirvam . Just simply Marvin written backwards. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nivram

Nivram took a medium sized stone from the river bank, and with two swift blows put the fish out of its misery. He picked up his dripping wet clothes in one hand, and held the rather large fish on his shoulder with his other hand. With a broad smile over his face, he adressed Telryn.

"Right, let's go and tell Mummy what a delicious fish we have caught."

The exhileration after finally catching the fish had felt really good to Nivram. Telryn's remark had boosted his self-confidence, but the best, the expression of the non-suspecting Isokla, as the ten pound, wet fish unexpectedly dropped on her lap was simply priceless.
(OOC: for the rest you have Mastercard! [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

"Mummy want to cook the nice big fish little Nivram caught?"
Old 03-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Isokla screamed. Loudly. Her expression was priceless, but at the shock of a slippery, still twitching wet fish suddenly dumped on her lap, given how she had been listening to Ydalon intently proved to be enough to shatter her composure.

She quickly regained it and turned an icy look to Nivram, "I see," she began, keeping her tone level and composed, recovering her reserved usual self almost immediately, "That perhaps you are the child I named you." she frowned and added with a mutter, "And if you were two decades younger, I would put you across my knee and give your rear the hiding of its life for pulling a stunt like that. Boys, insufferable all of them."

She rolled her eyes, but there was a tinge of a smile dancing in them. Despite her initial reaction, the girl seemed almost amused. Almost. "Yes, its very nice sweetie," she answered him, petting the fish. "And such a big one too. Did it give you a struggle?"

[ 03-05-2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Old 03-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Telryn

Telryn couldn't help but grin at the thought of winding up Isokla. She acted too superior for his liking, although he didn't express his true feelings. Falling out with people was not one of the things on his to-do list.

He followed him, standing but a few feet away, trying to not make himself look like Nivram's
(Spelt correctly *grin*) "lackey".

As the wet fish slapped against Isokla's lap, Telryn looked away, trying his hardest to avoid bursting into fits of laughter, turning round only when he was in control of his near-laughing fit.

[ 03-05-2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Ivelliis ]
Ivelliis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
dplax
Jack Burton

Nivram

"You can not imagine the perils I had to brave, while fighting against that ferocious beast. I only barely survived." Nivram managed to say all that, with his expression remaining utterly serious. He bent down for his pack and lifted a dry shirt from it and slipped in on. His trousers would have to dry by the fire, since he was not going to take them off in the presence of a lady.

"So...what shall Mummy do with the fish? Roast it, fry it, marinate it, or some other horrible treatment?" It sure seemed to Nivram that Mummy was a nickname, which had the possibility of sticking with Isokla for quite some time.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

This time Isokla smiled sweetly, "Why, don't be silly, sweetie," her smile widened, taking on a sickly sweet note, and it seemed for as long as Nivram intended to call her 'mummy', she would name him 'sweetie', "Why would I waste such a nice fishy? No my dear, I shall marinade it and then serve it to you all." her eyes narrowed so slightly it was hard to see, "Raw."

Her smile returned, "You know, in some parts of the world, it's considered a delicacy. Trust me, it's quite safe if managed properly." She gave Nivram a long look, "I hope you intend to dry out, sweetie. I wouldn't want to see you catch a chill. Your nose will drip and you'll get ill and then I'll have to tend to you, and really, it could all be avoided by staying warm." Her tone was parental and quite sincere, mostly.