Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 12:56 AM   #1
Louis de Lioncourt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was playing chapter one with all classes and found out that at the academy, from lvl 2 and on, diferent classes get diferent exp points, all playing alone with no hirelings or summonings. And its a huge diference here. Almost like that, at lvl 2 my rogue or wizard gets around 40 exp points for a weak goblin or weak skeleton, and a lvl 2 fighter or paladin gets only 18.

Is that correct?? And I repeat, playing solo with no helpers.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:32 AM   #2
apollo
Dungeon Master

i think fighters get an xp penalty because it might be alot easier for them to kill a goblin. And was your rouge a hafling?
Old 09-10-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This is NOT a preferred class issue and neither fighters or paladins get a "penalty" versus other classes. This is actually based on the way that Bioware coded the game, so that rogues (and some other classes) actually have a LOWER challenge rating than the equivalent level of fighter classes. As a result they actually get an XP BONUS. This is explained in great depth on the bioware forums (unfortunately I do not have the link the specific thread but a search should turn up the thread in question). [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:12 PM   #4
Louis de Lioncourt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As I was saying, they do get more exp points so. Just for exemple: I started a cleric and got so much exp points with him inside the academy that I've left the academy reached lvl 4. I'm at lvl 8 now and finished just two areas of chapter one. To reach lvl 8 with my monk I had almost finished the first part of chapter one. Besides, a cleric with bull strenght and endurance and mage armor and such spells is really easy playing with, they are hard to hit with shields and heavy armor plus the bonus from spells, and they do great damage with offensive spells and combat spells that increases your stats.

PS.: To lvl up at the academy just do not kill enemies unless is necessary, then when you get the lvl 3 with Aribeth's boyfriend, you go back and kill every monster left. My cleric started gainning around 75 exp points per goblin.

[ 09-10-2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Louis de Lioncourt ]
Old 09-21-2003, 05:59 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

I'm now a level 13 paladin and after killing a bunch of skeleton warriors in chap 3 I noticed I was only getting 3xp for them? at the start of the game I thought I got more for killing them, considering they can do a lot of damage they should be worth more. Is it my memory or some new D&D rule?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:39 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
I'm now a level 13 paladin and after killing a bunch of skeleton warriors in chap 3 I noticed I was only getting 3xp for them? at the start of the game I thought I got more for killing them, considering they can do a lot of damage they should be worth more. Is it my memory or some new D&D rule?
The higher your level is, the less xp you get from a certain type of enemy. At a certain level you might get, say, 24 xp for an enemy. If you level up one level and attack the same kind of enemy you might just get 16 xp. This has probably something to to with the way the levels work. All classes need the same amount of xp to level up to the same level and to reach level 20 you need less than 200 000 xp, so logically you can't get alot of xp for killing enemies and you can't getting the same amount regardless of your level.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 PM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That's because of the Challenge Rating, the harder a creature to kill, the more xp, a lvl one fighter can kill an orc easier than a lvl one rogue, or wizard can, and so gets less xp for the kill. You can see this in the radial menu if you right click on a monster, and examine it, left click on the eyeball. A challenging monster for a lvl one fighter may be overpowering, or even impossible for a lvl one mage. At lvl 10, the same monster may be effortless for a fighter, but still be harder for a mage, although a mage may kill the aforementioned orc easier, with a fireball. That's how the xp system works for kills though, you get more points for harder monsters, and less for easier ones. Hope that helps ya figure that out, and as you can see, it's not perfect, as it only considers melee damage.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:37 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The reasoning behind the challenge rating is that you get better when you are challenged. A level 1 fighter fighting a goblin or orc might be evenly matched in skills so he might learn new tricks and get bettter at using his weapon, but a level 15 fighter is a master of fighting, the goblin might as well be a dummy.

If the game's challenge rating for PCs is the same af for npcs, then your challenge rating is higher depending on your class, level, and also your health. A level 20 fighter that got 1s on all his hp roll will have a challenge rating a lot lower than one that got all 10s.

Do you know what the challenge rating is? It's the level a group of 4 adventurers should be to have 50% chance of winning that encounter. So if a Dragon has a challenge rating of 12, to have 50% chance of winning, you need a party of 4 level 12 characters.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:11 AM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Thanks guys, those posts made things a lot clearer [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] and the system does seem to make more sense than the old D&D rules [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote