Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Question about PC/Mac games

Hey gang! I hope all is well with you! Quick question for you... I used to have an Apple//GS computer back in the late 80's, and eventually merged to a PC -- my question is if it is possible to play Apple// games on a PC? I looked at SoftMac, but the site I found it on says using SoftMac has a big risk involved. There are a few games that I have in mind, but I cant just download them. For example, there is a game called Manhunter: New York, where the purchased game includes maps, books, and such that are needed to play (there is a code system in the installation process). If I simply download the game, I don't have all the essentials that are required to play. Can anyone help me?
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: Question about PC/Mac games

Hi,

Try the AppleWin emulator. I've never used it myself but heard some good things about it.

http://applewin.berlios.de/

You might also want to see if any PC ports were made for the games. They are not always 100% same as the apple versions though.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Re: Question about PC/Mac games

Hey, thanks for the info - I read the page and will look into it. Now, if I have an emulator for the Apple// games, can I use it to play Apple// games I purchase, or do emulators work only with downloaded games? And if emulators work on purchased games, is there a certain website that sells used Apple// games? I did some research and found a couple of the games I am looking for, but if you have any insight, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Question about PC/Mac games

Search for "abandonware" or "freeware games" and you can generally find sites hosting old games to download. Be wary, though--sometimes you can get more than you wanted by downloading some things from such sites. If you are going to download these kinds of things have a second computer that you don't mind risking until you can verify that the downloaded file is clean.

Personal anecdote: I worked on AppleIIe back in the mid-80s. I started with a small program that would draw a circle on the screen then ultimately expanded it so that it would draw all my trig homework for me. Good times.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote