Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Skippy1
Elminster

Taking the family there next month for 2 weeks.

If anyones been, can you give me some idea of "Do's and Don't's"??

Oh, by the way, Giday from sunny England!

[ 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Skippy1 ]
Old 06-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Meh you can pretty much do anything save for murder unless it's murder of someone who Castro doesn't like and most of those people are already dead so yeah [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh and bring American Currency just in case you get in a tight spot.

As long as you stick to the "Resort" areas and the hotels and dont walk down any dark alleys you should be fine [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh and uh... Don't pet the wild cats or the huttia (Giant jungle rodents) they might have rabies just so you know.

Edit: Oh and, Duh:

Don't bring anything heavy to wear like clothing that's thick for cold weather. It doesn't get cold in cuba.

Bring light stuff, like T-shirts and shorts. There aren't any "attire" laws like the more screwy carribean islands, just come wearing normal summer wear and you'll blend right in. Bring sunglasses too.

Also: A rain coat might be good for this time of year as it's the rainy season.

It started early for some reason. Cuba has 2 seasons: Dry and Wet, it's always hot regardless of which season it is.

You still might want to bring lotion for protection from the sun. It's very easy to get burned out here with the sky so clear so often. Though, like I said, looks like rainy seasons begun early and monsoons and/or hurricaines come regularly.

Also: For each person: Pack a can of spam, a metal cup, tea bags and some candles.

I'm not kidding. Because it's the rainy season a hurricaine might strike. Here's what you do: take a metal cup and hold it over the candle light and in time your tea will heat. The spam doesnt have to be heated just use whatever utencils you have to slice it up and eat it, that should be able to hold you over for at least a day and the tea can keep you awake if necessary.

You should know where your local shelter for hurricaines is upon arrival. Just in case, once again.

Be prepared for wet or dry weather.

OH and You will get bitten by many many insects. I mean sure you can TRY to use a bug spray (you can probably buy that when you get here) but I mean... it might not work out so good [img]tongue.gif[/img] Heh... Especially in rainy season.

Rain causes fresh-water pools which the mosquitos breed in like freaking crazy. The scarry thing is that in the carribean there's always the threat of Panamanian mosquitos getting into the country and spreading things like Dengay fever.

Also: if you have a snorkeling mask you might want that, and some fins. On good days the snorkeling is great. You don't have to DIVE to enjoy Cuba.

If you plan any diving trips, take a dive knife and wear full skins to protect yourself from coral seeds as they will often bloom chaotically.

To tell if coral seeds are in bloom: Look around. If you see white butterflies fluttering around all over the place, this means Coral is in full bloom and going in the water WILL HURT later on. You won't feel it but coral wil burrow under your skin causing a great deal of pain.

The knife, of course, is in case you get attacked by a shark.
Cuba's #1 shark is the Hammerhead, it often stays away from crowded and popular areas as they have been fished out. If you see a school of fish (if you're diving) make sure that the school is of a COLORFULL Variety of fish. If the fish are SILVERY that means they may attract predators. ALSO: Long silvery fish with sharp teeth (called Baracuda) also lurk in the waters and they have been known to take chunks out of people. I've swam in schools of baracuda without getting bitten though, the trick is to not wear anythign SHINY or REFLECTIVE (like your watch, take that thing off before getting in the water)

If you go to a beach: Bay of pigs. That beach is the only sandy beach in all of Cuba. I mean sure SOME other beaches have sand but like... not like The Bay of Pigs.

If you see waves of fire on a hillside don't panic that's not a volcano, Cuba has no active volcanos (that we know of) that's just sugar caine feilds burning. Also you may smell something burning randomly in the day (that'd also be the sugar caine).

Don't drink water unless you've been told it's desalinated or filtered or fresh. All other water is salt water. Everywhere i've been there's been a Desal plant involved but you never know! There are bound to be salt water taps somewhere. I had a horrible experience in Miyorka when I got a mouth-full of salt water.

Oh and one final word of advice: Don't try to take a visit to where I live as you could step on a mine and we wouldn't want that to happen [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-13-2005, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 06-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Skippy1
Elminster

Bloody hell! That was quick.

Mate! It can't be all that bad, I mean the sun does come out there in July surely?

As for Sharks and Barracudda........haven't you guys introduced crocs' yet? The shark population would be down to zero in short order.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Here's a list of things that can kill you in Cuba:

SeaSnake (rare)

Shark (kind of common in unpopular areas)

Yellow Scorpion (rare)

Rock Fish (Common)

Everything else, including Snakes, Tarantulas, and whatever else you can think of, only has the potential to scare you but isn't at all poisonous (though Morray eels can bite, as can Tarantulas and even Iguanas they can't kill you as they lack poison. All the snakes of Cuba aren't poisonous either so feel free to play with all those guys if you don't mind bleeding a little )

Once again, just in case: Avoid the local cats, dogs, and Hutia no matter how cute they look if you want to avoid rabies.
/)eathKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:

Mate! It can't be all that bad, I mean the sun does come out there in July surely?
Of course it comes out [img]tongue.gif[/img] I was just saying be prepared in case it doesn't. It's not like I said "Don't bring sun screen". It'll be out. In fact, It's our right now! It was raining at the start of my first reply to the post and now the weather looks fine. It's so unpredictable around summer I just didnt want you to be ill equipped [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:

As for Sharks and Barracudda........haven't you guys introduced crocs' yet? The shark population would be down to zero in short order.
I don't think Cuba has Crocs. Maybe the occasional alligator deep in the rainforest but even then I think it'd have to be imported.

Oh and if you're into Geology: Cuba is freakin' awesome because it's actually 4 differint islands (including Pacific islands) which have been merged into one superisland. This means that you can walk down the road and travel from a black sand area to a white sand area instantly. Limestone here, volcanic rock there, and coral way over there... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-13-2005, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
/)eathKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Skippy1
Elminster

Sounds just like Queensland.

All taken on board thanks Killer.

Anything good to say about the place? Oh, and I take it that you've only been on your side of the fence?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Skippy1
Elminster

sorry, posted before I read that last one. I've spent some time in Far North Queesland years ago and it sounds as if a lot of what you've mentioned is the same there. I learn't very young to not just pick up a stick, but give it a kick first and see if anything slithers out.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

And bear in mind: This is important:

There is a great deal of good that comes with visiting during this rainy season:

EVERYTHING IS GREEN.

Come any other time of the year and the sky is a huge blue void-ocean of cloudlessness and the earth is brittle, the pavement is hot, and the grass and trees are all brown.

Come during the summer and it's just as hot but the pavement's been cooled thanks to the moisture and everything is a lush shade of green.

here's cuba during the dry winter months:
http://www.cubapartnership.org/images/summercamp.jpg

here's cuba in the summer when it's wet: http://www.rippmann.ch/Reisen/Kuba46.jpg
Old 06-14-2005, 03:34 AM   #9
Eagle eye
Elminster

Is Marijuana legal in Cuba?
Eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #10
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Wow Deathkiller! You sound like you're trying to sell him the place! You should think about a job as a travel agent.

[ 06-14-2005, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Callum ]