Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 03-21-2003, 07:14 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Despite the fact that this game is less rpg heavy in terms of social interaction, it definitely has some well constructed battle encounters.
(which is more than i can say for Pool of Radiance II, which I've abandoned for awhile, for the sheer repetition of it all.)

Some that I've enjoyed immensely on my latest adventures include:

- Securing the watch tower in Lower Dorn's Deep

My mage Pyron got murdered at least six times in my early pitiful attempts to do this level! The archers are fast and show no mercy! My cleric dominated one of them closest to the entrance which helped immensely the time I finally did it.

- Cleaning out the Hall of Heroes and Terikan
Ominous ancient atmosphere, uncertainty about what Terikan is going to do next, and just the undeath of it all!

- The Idol and Co...
This was insanely troublesome for me last time around...Gently gently, one by one, draw them in...was much easier!

- Figuring out different ways to kill Tarnished Servants.
These creatures are the bane of my IWD experience. Evil personified! [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Ilmadia (Possible spoiler!)

I hope there isn't a particular way one is supposed to do this battle, for I've never even bothered to communicate with her...Having the free attack on the fire giant guards draws her to you immediately, having before hand made miscenllaneous summoning and battle preparations. She didn't get a blade on any of my characters thankfully, as whilst the giants are moping about trying to kill the summoned beings, Pyron smiled with obliterative glee and rained storms and propulsed cones of ice upon them. It felt very easy in comparison to the other badges.

Currently, I'm licking wounds and smelling the piles of gold that have amassed on the journeys, wondering which weapons will suit my needs best. I'm about to open the HOW door! Hope to find more interesting battles!

Cheers,
CerebroDragon
--+UDIC+---
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I enjoy IWD simply for the great fights. A stark contrast to the Role Playing in BG & BG2. Turn your brain off after work and go battle evil.

I really enjoyed a couple of battles in Dragons Eye. The first one I enjoyed was that cult and the people all disguised. With my Paladin seeing right through it from the start, the battle began. The party spread around and the fighting was intense.

Then the battle with the snake lady, Y something or another. My fighter is going toe to toe with her, and was down to 1 hit point. Run away! So I take off back down the corridor with her chasing me. My Thief/Mage, throws off his armor and follows us. I get to the last door from the space (you know the door where if you attempt to go through, it says "You must gather your party before venturing forth" ) Oh no! I turn to fight her, but my Thief/Mage was just behind her and cast his last Magic Missle spell. And she dies!

And it HoW, the Burial Mound was tough!

[ 03-21-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Keraptisdm ]
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
Lymond
Manshoon

My most memorable battle was against Presio in the Dragon's Eye. For the first time, it hinged entirely on my mage. I could never get close enough with my fighters and Presio had that shell against missiles. So, after luring out the bad guys close to the door, I sent my mage in and they went toe to toe with spells.

Otherwise, in general, I prefer the battles with larger goups where you really have to figure out the correct strategy.

Lymond
Old 03-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I enjoyed the final battle of HoW not only do you have to fight an impressive dragon but one with his own army to boot. While my fighters are dealing with the dragon, my mages, druids are taking care of the army. It is a battle were a mage with high level spells shine. Then After the army and dragon is dead....

....it an't over yet.

The Malavon battle was a great one has well. I found this one best for preparing for the final battle. Two Iron Goloms, an army of Umber Hulks, and in insane mage with deadly spells.

I can think of countless others as well.

[ 03-21-2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 02:13 PM   #5
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

1. Malavon and his cronies

2. Yxonumai (sp?), nothing better than killing a 8' tall, 6 armed, naked freak of nature

3. Maiden Illmadia

4. hehe, being bombarded by 20 goblins and havin a mage with Malavon's Rage...ooh the carnage...

[ 03-22-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Malavon's Rage ]
Old 03-22-2003, 06:11 PM   #6
Charlak The Axeman
The Magister

I quite enjoyed killing Presio and her undead cronies
Old 03-22-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
Charlak The Axeman
The Magister

Oh yes and Bhelifet right at the end because poquelin is so cocky, then i wipe the floor with him
Old 03-23-2003, 12:35 AM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

1. Yuxonomei - One bad lady

2. Presio - even getting to Presio was a challenge, but much rejoicing once he was dead [img]smile.gif[/img]

3. Ilmadia - Another mean b$tch

4. Malavon - I ONLY wish I could save those poor gnomes

5. Find the REAL Pomab - frustrating but fun

And a special mention for these on HOF mode!

1. The Grand High Yuan Ti summoner!!!!! On HOF mode, this is a NIGHTMARE! The summoned lizardmen are NOT actually summoned - but appear due to scripting. So using the fight, retreat, rest and repeat tactic causes an INCREDIBLE number of lizardmen and trolls to be generated and remain in his room! By the time we got to that map, there were too many of them to count. If not for the help of the trapped adventurers, I don't think we could have finished that map. [img]smile.gif[/img]

2. The goblins on the first map after the avalanche on HOF mode!!!! So many of those little buggers and they are ALL nasty!!!!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:26 AM   #9
MordainThade
Welcomed New User

After installing HoW and activating "Heart of Fury" mode, I took my party of characters straight to the end battle of the game, only to discover...
*spoiler below*
...that now in additon to fighting the nasty demon as well as two Iron Golems, there are also two Cornugons in the room as well. For those who have played in Fury mode, you all know that this is insanely difficult, but so very rewarding when you beat it.

Three times, my party kicked the bucket. Finally, on the fourth try, I did it (albeit with tactics that are a bit cheesy), and without losing a character to boot!

A tip for those mage-heavy parties: the initial dispelling of all magic on your characters CAN be blocked by a Globe of Invulnerability, so if you have a bunch of Fighter/Mages or Mage/Thieves, this can save a lot of trouble.

Hooray for my first post.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Welcome to the boards, MordainThade. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote