Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #1
Calsiumus
Drow Warrior

than bg2? in bg1 it is actuly hard to gain levels.. the enemy is toughter..
like my first time throw i had to cheat to have any chance at all.. still both are great games! *Wondering why any one would pick a shooting game where your only mission is to shoot regular people.. (no fun) when you kan fight monster whit swords and magick!!* some howe i think rolleplaying games are more "free" than other games... (wheel know iam going of topic) so what do u think?
Calsiumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
purre
Banned

yeah,BG is much tougher than BG2,I got BG2 first,and then bought the first one thinking that it is easy,how wrong can one be? [img]graemlins/rollsay.gif[/img] the first enemy killed me,and I had just laughed thinking this is easy! It is just because the levels you start from, 1 level guy can barely hold a sword,but at least level 7 can actually hit with it too. [img]tongue.gif[/img] (eventhough it is not great either)
Hmm..in BG2 the party members are about level 7 at the beginning,right? (oh,this is BG forum,not BG2,well..anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
purre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:28 PM   #3
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Starting at 1st level in BG1 makes every encounter a potential deadly one. You had no money, weapons that could break, and no clue as to what you had to do it seemed. I really liked BG1. I have not completed BG2 yet, but comparing the two games, I like both! It did seem more challenging, as it was easier to get killed.

Edit: Hi purre [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Good to see you here! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 01-24-2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Keraptisdm ]
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The first part of BG1 is definitely the most difficult, as you have practically NO hitpoints. So, if any enemy rolls a Critical Hit, you're dead, no matter what. 5% chance of instant death, every time. Ouch.

Although that's not what irks me about the opening of BG1: What really annoys me is how all the enemy Mages are Level 1 or 2, but their Magic Missles think they're Level 9. Consider Tarnesh: The only spells he knows are Mirror Image, Magic Missile, and Horror, and he only has 1 of each memorized. He has about 8 or 10 hitpoints. This would seem to argue that he is Level 3. So why, when he casts Magic Missile, do *FIVE* Missiles shoot out? Even if you go out of your way to grab a good, sturdy character with lots of HP, that blast will still kill them outright. And BioWare did the same thing with Nimbul, as well. If they want to make the guy tough to beat, fine! But do it by giving the guy some backup, not by CHEATING him.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
purre
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Keraptisdm:
Starting at 1st level in BG1 makes every encounter a potential deadly one. You had no money, weapons that could break, and no clue as to what you had to do it seemed. I really liked BG1. I have not completed BG2 yet, but comparing the two games, I like both! It did seem more challenging, as it was easier to get killed.

Edit: Hi purre [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Good to see you here! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Hi to you too Keraptisdm [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
yeh,both games are great,most annoying in BG was that there is no money,none at all (at least it feels like that) in BG2 you got millions of gp's! and in BG it's a fight for every gp
purre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:46 PM   #6
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'll just repeat the well-known phrase of every solo-mage in Bg1: I hate wolves!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:32 PM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

I heard that right the first time Horatio!

BG2 starts at level 7, or 9 if you've played through TotSC. Of course, it might be level 10 if you play something like a thief.

Had BG: Soa/ToB for over a year now. Still haven't played them.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:05 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

I'm not sure which I thought the most challenging.

BG1 at the very start was hard, as small things seem to do a lot of damage to me! I rememeber I tackled a brown bear the very first time I played, and got my ass whooped!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:08 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

God I miss the BGI days. I remember when an ogre was fatal to my guys, and anything the moved and had a bow was certain death. And being at such a low level and being threatened by virtually everything was great. Now that is a true RPG, that gets you thinkin every second, and strategizing.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:46 AM   #10
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
God I miss the BGI days. I remember when an ogre was fatal to my guys, and anything the moved and had a bow was certain death. And being at such a low level and being threatened by virtually everything was great. Now that is a true RPG, that gets you thinkin every second, and strategizing.
Exactly. When my party of two were walking to Friendly Arm for the first time I was hitting pause every five seconds. Getting two wolves at us might have meant certain death. A diseasead gibberling was the only opponent you could really laugh at. Also, Tarnesh was a real pain without Zxar and Monty, but with 8th level character you would have time to even play with him a little.