Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

For us lowly 56k'ers, its a big deciscion. I don't mind doing it, but basically I've heard its hack n slash with annoying puzzles.

Get it or not?
Old 01-22-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

It is a somewhat challenging hack n' slash but it gets a little annoying after awhile, there are actually some puzzles but we tend to forget about them. I actually enjoyed some of the smaller mods a little better. It is up to you I think it is good to try it a least once but it would be nice to be playing another game like so you can take a break from it every once in awhile until your through.

[ 01-22-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I both enjoyed and was annoyed by TotLM. It's as described by pritchke, a lot of hack and slash with some puzzles. It does have some good challenging fights though. Downloading on at 56k connection would probably take a long time. Maybe set to download while you're sleeping, and when you wake up it will be finished. If you do download it, here's a tip: Buy all your supplies, especially arrows, before you go there!
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

Thanx, I'll probably get it!
Old 01-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #5
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

There are some different creatures to fight that you won't find anywhere else in IWD. It isn't really a reason to d/l it, but it is another (and final) part of the IWD phenomenon, so its worth getting just for that.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:32 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Well, like I said in another thread only a few days ago:

Quote:
Don't expect too much of Trials of the Luremaster, however... It's by far the worst and most boring official release on the Infinity Engine, or at least it was in my experience. But if you like hack 'n slash and tiresome puzzles a lot, Trials of the Luremaster is the expansion for you. The only game I ever cheated out of pure frustration of it being so monotone and boring.
Oh, and don't expect too many decent magical items either.
On the other hand, it's free, of course. So you won't get the feeling of being ripped off afterwards.
[ 01-23-2003, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 01-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Even if the TolM expansion itself is not your cup of tea, it DOES fix some nagging bugs that the HOW v1.41 patch does NOT fix. I don't agree with some of the dissenting opinions on TolM - but then I view HOW/TOLM as a single package. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:23 PM   #8
Wumpspawner
Manshoon

I'm just getting started into TOLM right now. And yes, it's a bit frustrating. Some brutal fights to be found. But I'm enjoying it. You'll get many oportunities to polish your combat strategies, if anything else. Just set it downloading right before you go to bed Friday night, so you can play first thing Saturday morning, and not worry about being late for work or school or tea or whatever.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
SirWillow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I found the ToTL to be more than worth the time and trouble downloading (I'm on dsl, but it took me 3 tries because it was a busy time) I found the battles and storyline to be quite entertaining, with a couple of the hardest battles I've ever seen in that part of the game. But ones that I felt were well worth the challenge.

It's not big in the amount of "stuff" that you get in it. But the extra levels and experience is always a good thing. And I like anything that makes me use my mind.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:10 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Ok, I think I'll try and download it then! T

Thanx guys!

Btw - Does fileplanet allow you to pause downloads or not? My connection cuts after two hours! How else can I get it?