Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-01-2002, 03:35 PM   #91
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

And the last time I had statistics available for the US, in some city areas murder was the number one cause of death amongst men of that age group.

That's true; however that's due mostly to the drug trade. I know for the most part I come off as a conservative, but hope one of these days the US wises up and legalizes the drug trade and forgets about this senseless crap about the drug war.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:15 PM   #92
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I just remembered something from erm... a few months ago... At school here, in years 9&10, we do 2 periods of activities a fortnight... these are sports, and thus part of the PE/H/PD program, but unlike PE they are actually going out and doing sports, sortof, instead of just practising one or 2 basic moves...

In year 9, we had Basketball, Gym, Indoor Soccer, and Self Defense.

Self Defense was more like lessons in a way, because it taught us how to do things, and had us practice the techniques...
It also showed demonstrative videos, and reinactments of the situations... the first thing it said after introducing the situation was how it could have been avoided.

They also taught how to get out of a situation once you have gotten into it, in a completely no nonsense manner...

Heres one very useful one which I remember...

If the assailent has hold of your arm(s), the easiest way to get out of it, is to twist your arms from the shoulder, towards the weakest part of the grip... their thumb. This will quite simply, break the grip, and leave them in a very unpreparable situation, allowing you to escape.

And Cloudy- I do tend to confuse people like that... although I dont think ill be able to confuse Rikard, ever... hes already Konfuzed!!
Old 02-01-2002, 05:34 PM   #93
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ok, I don't want to burst anyones bubble here, but having read a source from someone with over 25 or something years in the field or REAL self defence (i.e actually having been in the situation many times), a lot of the stuff you hear about now is frankly a load of [CENSORED] and especially those nice, helpful little courses of self defence, especially the ones for the women do not help at all.
In fact, if anything, they hinder, they often lull people into a false sense of security, and I don't just mean thinking you can always handle anything, but more subtly, such as making you believe you have the perfect way to get out of a situation.
Trust me (or the author rather), most people have already lost the moment they believe the person may be after them, just because of the sheer amount of adrenailine putting you into shcok.
So, whereas I don't recommend guns, don't EVER think there's a quick fix way out of things.

In fact, just in case people didn't see, I'll post it again, READ DEAD OR ALIVE BY GEOFF THOMPSON, it's a very sobering guide, that gets rid of all preconceptions and reveals the harsh brutality of the situation.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:32 PM   #94
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Ok, I don't want to burst anyones bubble here, but having read a source from someone with over 25 or something years in the field or REAL self defence (i.e actually having been in the situation many times), a lot of the stuff you hear about now is frankly a load of [CENSORED] and especially those nice, helpful little courses of self defence, especially the ones for the women do not help at all.
In fact, if anything, they hinder, they often lull people into a false sense of security, and I don't just mean thinking you can always handle anything, but more subtly, such as making you believe you have the perfect way to get out of a situation.
Trust me (or the author rather), most people have already lost the moment they believe the person may be after them, just because of the sheer amount of adrenailine putting you into shcok.
So, whereas I don't recommend guns, don't EVER think there's a quick fix way out of things.

In fact, just in case people didn't see, I'll post it again, READ DEAD OR ALIVE BY GEOFF THOMPSON, it's a very sobering guide, that gets rid of all preconceptions and reveals the harsh brutality of the situation.

Talthyr, I did one of those "nice helpful" self-defence courses a few years ago, and now I can put pretty much anyone on the ground without hurting them. If I got attacked, I wouldnt panic, or have qualms about using what I know.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 02-02-2002, 08:02 AM   #95
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:

Talthyr, I did one of those "nice helpful" self-defence courses a few years ago, and now I can put pretty much anyone on the ground without hurting them. If I got attacked, I wouldnt panic, or have qualms about using what I know.

That's good to know! I guess we can find such courses in our phone books. Would they be listed under 'self defense'?
Old 02-02-2002, 08:18 AM   #96
Talthyr Malkaviel

Yeah, but Scholarcs, it's about the environment, how many of these people were actually out to mug you? did they know they were going to have it done on them, did they stop trying to go after you after one move?
Old 02-02-2002, 09:45 AM   #97
mistral4543

Cloudy - I am so glad that you came out of that situation unscathed [img]smile.gif[/img]

And all the advice posted so far is certainly useful [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I am just wondering what would be the best reaction if an armed person jumped on a weaponless victim [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Should the victim fight back, or remain passive? If the former, there's the risk of being killed outright... but if the latter, there's no telling if the attacker will leave him/her physically unscathed.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is there any way of discerning if an attacker intends to kill the victim regardless of how the victim responds? (in which case, the victim has nothing to lose by fighting back)
Old 02-02-2002, 09:56 AM   #98
Talthyr Malkaviel

Well, if you feel threatened in a situation like that, and especially if there's a weapon involved, the best option is to run, and if you can't run, just fight back as vehemently as you can until you can run, don't bother trying to restrain them or put a finishing move on once you've knocked them down, just run, and leave a still potentially dangerous situation alone.