Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-15-2000, 11:24 AM   #11
Glorick the Half-Orc

Well, the difficulty depends on what level you hit each section...

For me, I tried to beat the Adventurere's Mart Inn party early (lvl , and got clobbered (10 reloads?). I had to wait until I got higher in level.

Without reading the boards, the demi-lich was tough. If you read the boards, it was EZ. I did it on my own and reloaded about 15 times before I got the right combo. But I also stay off the boards until I am almost done so I don't have the whole game ruined.

I'm sure the beholders in the Underdark would have been hard if I didn't have the reflecting cloak. Once I had that, I never had any problems with any battle again. That item should never have been put in this game, it is WAY imbalanced.

In the end, the "fear" beholders were a pain if you didn't take the nymph cloak.

The rogue stone dudes were also tough, but I was pretty powerful when I faced them.

For me, the demi-lich gets the nod.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:29 PM   #12
Sir Rich

Kangaxx was by far the toughest battle I had to deal with. I never figured out the stratagey, I just kept reloading and trying again, everytime getting offed. I ended up using the Ctrl-Y cheat to terminate his rotten existance so I could get his ring. : (

The next toughtest battle was during the Unseeing Eye quest, when you go into the Rift dungeon. After the bridge puzzle, there's a large group of beholders hanging out waiting for you. I hate loosing characters, and I hated this battle. Usually the first few spells the beholders would get in would be petrification, and in the ensuing battle, the statues were constatnly getting smashed.

The mindflayers in the Underdark were a mess too. I never really did figure out how to defend against the brain suck ability, it just took multiple reloads and retrys to get through it.

Old 11-15-2000, 04:28 PM   #13
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

the mind flayers of underdark? Kangaxx? (ok, the demi-lich is hard) What about the beholder lair if the underdark. At one point, six or seven of the things plus a handful of gauth attack you, even flanking you! Some of them are elder orbs too, all three and four attacks at once. I know they really dislike fire and always tried to soften up a bit first but could only get two or three fireballs off before the killing came. It took many reloads to finish battle w/ as few fataliteis as acceptable.
Old 11-15-2000, 04:46 PM   #14
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

Mine was a room full of vampires. Back then I didn't know how to level up so my main charecter was level 7. Imangine the results. Thankfully I got lucky and summened tons of Monsters. Also I hate level drain so I picked the Vampires later.
Old 11-15-2000, 09:54 PM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Funny. No-one mentioned Irenicus yet.
Old 11-15-2000, 10:52 PM   #16
Armisael

That's because when you get up to him you're expecting an impossible battle, but he's actually very easy. I had Jaheira use Creeping Doom on him and the ensuing fight was just pathetic.

Old 11-16-2000, 05:59 AM   #17
Suul-Yinn

I agree, Irenicus is a wus. I haven't finished yet, but the battle in Spellhold was so easy only Aerie was scratched. Lower resistance and insect plague left him wide open and chaos plus plague routed the clones(clowns?)

Old 11-16-2000, 08:11 AM   #18
_max_RUSSKIE

What are your npcs? they are CRAP!!! I had to reload about 6 times in the final battle. Everybody kept dying save my protagonist. In the end i just sent them to the end off the map and killed irenicus and his feinds with main character. He took a battering yes, but he didnt die constantly. Now i just walk around with main character and whack everything. You dont need npcs. (Most of the time anyway.....) But dual wilding celestial fury and defender +5 helps!

Old 11-16-2000, 08:35 AM   #19
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I had plenty of difficult battles the first time as did everyone. The good thing about the game is the freedom of movement you have. Everyone seems to have horror stories of how they visited areas way too early. I had a tough dwarf fighter from BG1 and was used to creaming everything with him, so I got more than a few big shocks. The first was stumbling in on those adventurers in the seventh veil just after escaping Irenicus' dungeon. I went to the veil to rest and decided to explore the place, as you do. Remember I only had the four characters. Then I foolishly charged into the middle of them. Did everyone do that with most fights the first time through, just do an all or nothing charge to see how tough they are. The next place I went was D'arnise keep where I got past the trolls fine, thanks to grandmaster axe with stonefire, but then I decided to grab all the golems treasure at once. Woops! The hardest fights for me now are the mind flayers I think. I can still have whole parties wiped out by them unless I bait them one at a time. I find most of the wizards tougher than the actual big creatures. ie I can fight other hand to hand combat creatures a lot easier than spellcasters. I think the first battle with Irenicus is harder the second for this reason.
Old 11-16-2000, 08:38 AM   #20
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Just had a new one today. Fighting the Glabrezu in the slave lord compound with level 9 and 10 characters. Haven't been game to go back for his bosses yet.