Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-24-2001, 05:58 PM   #61
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Earthdog, excellent taste in guitarists, poor taste of words.

Were I to write down list of favorite guitarists, It would have been almost identical to yours. I would have Clapton for sure and maybe Van Halen though.

As to the drug thing, I really do understand where you are coming from. I don't particularly care for the habit, but it's the habit not the people that I have the problem with. I am sure that most of the people who have the addiction like it less than I do.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 07-24-2001, 07:50 PM   #62
Moni

Is it wicked of me that I was not offended by Earthdog's post?

He makes a few valid points. Having been an addict myself (to crack, not herion) I know what a ridiculous waste of life it is. Someone should be allowed to stand up and say so.
Cobain had ample chances, money enough, and even (if only) temporary motivation to get clean. He chose not to. A stupid decision if I must say so myself, even knowing how really hard it is to stay away from drugs. Heck, years later, I still dream about the stuff but it doesn't mean I have to break down and do it again.
The world lost a genius with his death and it affected a lot of kids the same way it did when president Kennedy got shot.
Now, don't anyone come down on me for stating that either, I may have been very young when it happened, but I was sitting in the front room with my sister when Kennedy got shot and I heard her scream, saw her run away and knew she was not right over it for quite some time.
Friend's of my son's reacted the same way with Cobain's death. It even affected my son, who had purchased every Nirvana CD available and listened to them all the time. It affected me and I was a fan in my thirties!
Cobain was a hero to a lot of kids and teenagers. Lots of people are still mad at him for killing himself and letting them down, my son included. One good thing that did come out of it though, it turned a lot of kids my son's age against trying hard core drugs, knowing they could end up being the same kind of loser they feel Cobain turned out to be.
I don't see anything wrong with Earthdog's opinion other than it could have been worded a little nicer as so not to touch nerves in all the more sensitive members who have reacted negatively to it.
Earthdog,
Now you know lol.
I personally like Courtney Love's sass and style. Although I won't support her by buying her CD's I think she has a lot of talent, moreso as an actress than a musician but I get a kick out of Doll Parts.

LoA,

Tommy bolin even died onstage, in front of his fans! But, an overdose, like Bolin and some other musical geniuses we all knew and loved, is a far cry from outright suicide. A lot of times, the overdose is accidental. People aren't ready to go but just don't know when to quit partying.
Just think of the reaction it would have had on the younger kids that attend concerts now as compared to then if Kurt Cobain had died onstage! I think their reactions would have been more severe, seeing as how popular he was with such a much younger crowd.

Grand Ranger,
The conspiracy theory still stands as a possibility but having known a few junkies personally, I would think that if he did not get completely clean, he did it himself.

Bottom line is~Heroin is a bad bad thing.

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-25-2001).]

Old 07-24-2001, 07:55 PM   #63
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Moni, didnt know he dies on stage, he jammed, lets Post Toastee eh?
Old 07-24-2001, 08:53 PM   #64
Moni

LoA,
I believe that technically, Tommy Bolin "collapsed" onstage. But, he was never revived nonetheless.

Doing a search just now, I dug up a 1989 article that seems to be deemed the ultimate Bolin biography, even though he died in 1976. It says he was found dead in his hotel room after an appearance in Miami, the stage which all these years, hardcore Tommy Bolin fans believe him to have collapsed on. Since I wasn't there, I cannot say which story is true, but my sources are extreme old school, hard core rock fans who work in the business and are sticklers for fact. I'd have to stand by what they told me, esp since they were followers during "the time".

A neat little tidbit: Tommy Bolin has almost as many websites made in tribute to him as Kurt Cobain.

Don't let your mind Post Toastee!
Like a lot of my friends diiiiid!

Tommy Bolin Rocked!

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-25-2001).]

Old 08-14-2001, 08:36 AM   #65
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
Earthdog:
Please try not to be so rude in your comments, drug-addiction is not something you should blame. Its an illness, you dont have to be a moron to fall into drugs, and though it can be treated in clinics as you say, sometimes its not that easy to do it. Anyway this is my personal opinion, as respectable as yours...

But now, as a moderator, I ask you to speak in a more polite way, remember that there are kids who read these forums...

Thanks

Fair enough Ertai. I will apologize for the comment about Kurt Cabains old lady (IMO shes still ugly though.)

As for the rest of it I cant and wont apologize. I am entitled to my opinion. Just as you are entitled to yours. I wasnt attacking any of the members here. Thats one of the core rules to being a member here. I didnt attack anyone and I never would. But Im entitled to my opinion and one of the things I feel most vehemant about is Drug addiction.

Smoking is an addiction just like heroin is. But most smokers wont break into their mom and dads house to steal a tv and vcr and jewelry to buy a pack of cigarettes. Heroin addicts will do anything to get another fix. Thats a fact. And people can try to deny that but it doesnt make it untrue.

Drugs are a bad thing. They are illegal for a reason. They kill people. They hurt the families of the addicts whether by death, theft, or simply a change in attitude towards the family itself.

As Ertai said, kids read this forum. If any kids are reading this I hope they keep all this in mind. Drugs are a VERY bad thing. Dont start kids. Have a long healthy drug-free life. You WILL live longer and have fewer health problems in old age. You'll remaim closer to your family. Family is the single most important thing you'll ever have. Take care of them and they'll take care of you. And sometimes we all need a little help so remember that.

I happen to be from Texas originally. Ive seen friends fall into the trap of using drugs. Its extremely unfortunate that if someone gets addicted to drugs in the Great State of Texas, that if they want to get help getting off the drugs, they have to have a HUGE pile of cash to pay for rehabilitation. OR they can simply commit a felony and be sent by the state for FREE.

What gives????? Where are our standards as a society???? People are out there screaming for help but we cant fund it for them until they break the LAW???? Is the government so hard up for the federal funding that theyd rather be getting the money for having someone in jail and make the federal or state government pay them for keeping an addict locked up, when it would be a WHOLE lot cheaper to treat an individual to get them back into and be a tax paying and PRODUCTIVE member of society??????

Im not attacking anyone here. Im not trying to start a fight with anyone. This is a discussion. But, I ask all of you,(and I mean this in the most polite manner possible) ..........tell me where Im wrong.

Thank you.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!