Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #21
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
I've never skipped a class, yet my marks are still in the "piss poor" range.
Ditto.
I skipped half a class a couple of times because I didn't want to do disection.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #22
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

I didn't do well in school, I skipped about half of my classes before getting expelled in my final year, but I think the funniest time was when I got bored in a maths lesson and convinced the guy sat next to me to come to Scotland with me for a laugh (I live in Manchester). I don't think he actually thought I was serious, but we walked out of the lesson and went to the train station. Turned out there were no trains to Scotland anytime soon, so we went the other way, to Cornwall (actually further away than Scotland)... Anyway, we made it the whole way (without paying for ANY tickets, I might add) and got picked up by the police in Cornwall at around 7pm. My mother had given them my cellphone number and they'd made me tell them which station I was approaching... Though not before I'd lied to them about it and had a random train searched about thirty miles away from where I was!

My maths teacher actually got in a lot of trouble after this for not reporting us leaving class, because when she asked where we thought we were going I called back "Scotland!" and she didn't believe me. Silly woman!

[ 11-18-2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Brayf ]
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #23
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

hmmm...to preface the comment...I have degrees in Computer Science and Math and have Secondary Teaching cerification in both (sadly enough, I'm not teaching) but I did miss an occasional class...only in ones that didnt' require you to be there as a part of the class, of course...my favorite situation was were I was dating the Girlfriend of the T.A. for my Calc II class - she was a nurses aid at the Health Center and would give me sick excuses to miss his class...looking back it was kind of a silly, potentially bad situation, but boy she was a lot of fun... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Later,

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #24
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Jeez, how do you get away with all this skipping? Maybe it's because I'm in high school, or maybe it's because my school is pretty smart about it, but there really is no way of skipping a class and not being caught.

Attendence is taken every class, and compared to other classes, so theres no way of skipping individual classes unless take the whole day. However, any absence that isn't called in gets you a call home, and if my parents were to say "What do you mean? He's at school!", then I'd be up a creek without a paddle [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The only way I could skip a day would be to feign sickness and then sneak out, but that's tough as well.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #25
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
Jeez, how do you get away with all this skipping? Maybe it's because I'm in high school, or maybe it's because my school is pretty smart about it, but there really is no way of skipping a class and not being caught.

Attendence is taken every class, and compared to other classes, so theres no way of skipping individual classes unless take the whole day. However, any absence that isn't called in gets you a call home, and if my parents were to say "What do you mean? He's at school!", then I'd be up a creek without a paddle [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The only way I could skip a day would be to feign sickness and then sneak out, but that's tough as well.
That's what it's like over here as well, but I've managed to skip a bit. It helps to have an older brother who can call you in sick for the afternoon or whatever. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #26
Stratos
Vampire

Well, once you're at Uni you're really on your own. You take responsibility of your own studies. The mandatory classes I have are few and far between, but I still attend most regular ones; they give a good indication on what they want you to know to pass the course.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #27
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
I've skipped so much this semester i already got dropped from class and had to get renstated into class and today i did'nt mean to skip but i fell asleep in my car on break between classes and missed my second class.
Maybe you should change your screen name from Blind_Prophet then, as if you were a Prophet surely you would have seen that coming [/QUOTE]LoL i wish i had seen it comin but it was not in the cards i guess lol
Old 11-19-2005, 09:03 AM   #28
Melcheor
Manshoon

My uni course has lectures on 'the engineer in society'. All but the keenest students have skipped every one bar the first. I kinda feel sorry for the lecturer when, at the end of his rather empty looking lecture, 90% of the year arrive for structural mechanics. Still, he shouldn't be trying to teach us such bull.
Melcheor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #29
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I've never understood skipping. Education is precious, why waste it?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:44 AM   #30
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
I've never understood skipping. Education is precious, why waste it?
In my first post, I mentioned that I skipped that hour to buy myself the weekend to work on a paper because I could not have it ready in time for class Thursday.

Besides, her style of education is not educating me and so she's just one barrier keeping me from obtaining a degree that I am already qualified to receive...but I have to go through certain trivial classes to get it.