Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
Dirk #12
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Although I haven't gone very far in the game I was wondering if I would be getting much greater weapons. I have two warriors in my party, one has sword skill, the other axe, should I forget about axe and put it on more sword skill?
I have a long sword plus 1 and only a war axe for the other, is there hope ahead?
Dirk #12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The best weapons in the game, by far, are swords, including daggers. Staves come in a distant second.

Forget the Axe... you won't find an axe powerful enough to be worth it. Spend your skill points on sword and dagger for now, and second strike later.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
The best weapons in the game, by far, are swords, including daggers. Staves come in a distant second.

Forget the Axe... you won't find an axe powerful enough to be worth it. Spend your skill points on sword and dagger for now, and second strike later.
I agree. If you have the Genie's Lamp, summoning the Genie and asking for a powerful weapon will give you the Arms of Argus, which is a powerful sword. You can also get a nice sword at the end of the game, however, it unfortunately can't be blessed/enchanted.
Daggers are great as well. I found a Wizard's Blade just a little while after getting to Brimloch Roon. I blessed it 12 times and it does something like 18-66 damage, which is pretty good. My ZenMaster still uses it too. My Assassin is dual wielding Arms of Argus (12 blessings, does insane damage) along with the Assassin's Dagger (12 blessings, great damage as well). My Valkyrie is wielding that nice sword I talked about earlier (I don't wanna spoit it), but doesn't do great damage AFAIK. After looking at these swords and daggers, I can't say I've found a single axe that can match their power. The best axe in the game is probably from Doshi-Gin. Haleabus occasionally drops a Devil's Axe, or something like that. IIRC, it does a lot of damage, but it is cursed.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

You will encounter special weapons along the way - some of which play a direct role in the plot - such as the Mavin sword and the Staff of Death, which are the only weapons who can harm Cet. Also the Sword of Argus, Shinwiki's Spear, the Mace of Mangling, Talon's Fang, Torin's Bow, the Devil's Axe, Kerah's Sword and the Lance of the Lady are such special weapons. They look great and have a special story, but in comparison with the common enchantable weapons you find along the way they are nothing. Furthermore some of the special weapons like Talon's Fang and the Devil's Axe are cursed.

Generally the best weapons are in the sword category. And with level 12 or 14 blessing and enchanting skills you can make weapons that can deal up to perhaps 200 damage in one blow depending on the strength, the various traits, and the gallantry, etc. skills of your character. And with the 2nd weapon skill you can wield two heavily superior weapons simultaneously.

The best post detailing which weapons are the best for blessing and enchanting and in genaral is Radek´s excellent post on page six of the Best tips thread.

Other interesting topics discussing special weapons are these: 1, 2, 3.

[ 01-02-2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 01-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Aaaargh. How comes this forum always shuts down for posting whenever I am about to post?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
Aaaargh. How comes this forum always shuts down for posting whenever I am about to post?
It always seems to shut down on me when I type a long post, then it gets so annoying that I just ditch it and don't post anything at all .

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ziroc has a thread going about that on the General Discussion board. Once I post this, I'll go look for a link... ah, here it is. If you're seriously running into problems, Z would like to know about it. Include the times when you tried, and how long it took to get back in.

I wish there were a good answer as to why it happens, but one has not been discovered yet, that I know of.

[ 01-02-2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Old 01-05-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

I must disagree with the posts above [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

The best weapons in the game are daggers. Daggers, then nothing, then still nothing, then nothing again, and then swords.
The (enchanted) Wizard's Blade is the strongest weapon at all. Along with the strongest attack, it has the "sleep" bonus attack. The best 2nd weapon at all is the Assassin Dagger. Again, the dagger has the strongest attack plus the Deathstrike and Poison bonus attacks. No sword can match the Wizard's Blade + Assassin's Dagger combo.

But back to the question. How to get a good weapons? Answer: by blessing normal weapons. You will need the Blessings skill and the Artifact of Fiends spell (both must be known to the same character). Now, you can bless weapons for damage and create useful weapons. Prepare trucks of money before going blessing your weapons [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #9
So So
Zhentarim Guard

I'll have to agree with Radek the best weapons in the game are the Wizard's Blade and the Assassin's Blade...(Both fully enchanted...) But I have a question...where do all of you go to get good items? I found that the centaurs drop some pretty neat stuff around Skull Castle, but other than that I haven't found anything too good from any other monster...
Old 01-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I guess I mentally include daggers with swords, even though they're different skills and different weapons. My mistake.

Most of the item drops are random. The further on you go, the better they get. For a sword, I prefer the nightblade, and for a dagger, the wizard's blade. Some games I get several of each, and some games all I get is the one down in the bottom of the pool in Dragonspire.

But if you bless and enchant your way along, you'll find that any old weapon will do...
-+-+-+