Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-30-2001, 06:22 AM   #11
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Fluent English, fluent drunken slur and fluent old bollocks.
BTW, I'm in Amsterdam in a couple of weeks time, chances are I'll be speaking all three at once in a bar there somewhere.

Why not try Double Dutch? , ahem sorry

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-30-2001, 06:56 AM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL @ Charlie, SirTainly
So when are you going to visit our lovely capital, Charlie?

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 04-30-2001, 06:58 AM   #13
Sir_Tainly

I wanna go to Amsterdam too!

Missed my last chance to visit with a trip from Uni

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-30-2001, 07:04 AM   #14
Charlie
Lord Ao

I'm pretty sure it's the last weekend in May or the first weekend in May...not too sure Melusine. Possibly the last weekend as we're hoping for slightly warmer weather than we usually experience over there. (To be honest I won't be out in the cold anyway, I detest it.) The only thing I can say with any real certainty is the names of the bars and nightclubs I'll be visiting.
Can you recommend any btw?

------------------
One love, peace.

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 04-30-2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 07:11 AM   #15
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I'm officially bilingual. My father's Spanish-Filipino and my mother is Chinese-Filipino. I speak English and Tagalog fluently. I understand very limited Spanish and French.

Melusine and Rikard are quite amazing. They're trilingual I believe.

LUMPIA AND ADOBO RULES!

------------------
RULE #1:I am always right
RULE #2:See rule #1
Old 04-30-2001, 07:21 AM   #16
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I am quintilingual if your only counting swear words

------------------
RULE #1:I am always right
RULE #2:See rule #1
Old 04-30-2001, 07:44 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hi all!

Not truly "bi-lingual" as that implies native or near native fluency in the 2nd language, but I have fairly good command of Russian and negligibly so in German. Am working on that German soon!

I found that while I was in Russia the first time (student exchange- I did two degrees in Russian language and literature), I had times when the only word I could come up with for something was Russian. To this day, I have a horrendous time remembering the English word "wardrobe" (as in a freestanding closet), because the first time I had to use one was in Moscow! I still call it a 'shkaf' to this day.

I will say this, thinking in my non-native language happened more readily when I was not tired and when I had a bit much to drink....go figure.

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 04-30-2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 08:27 AM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

After Living in Mexico for two years, then coming back state-side and getting some jobs in interpretation, I have now gained the title of bilengual.

Pues, aun cuando no hablo español tan bueno como ingles, puedo entender toda la conversaccion, y contestar. Es suficiente para pasar la prueba...

------------------

Larry, Sell-Sword to the OHF
Old 04-30-2001, 08:47 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
LUMPIA AND ADOBO RULES!

How the @#$% do you know that??

They do, at that...

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 09:13 AM   #20
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

A funny/sad story about language. I studied Spanish in high school and took a college course so that I could get retroactive credits (at some colleges they give credit for high school studies if you can pass an upper level course). I was doing very poorly in the college course (D) and I needed a higher grade in order to get the credit for my high school studies. The instructor felt sorry for our class because the university was going to change the system for granting retroactive credits -- making it easier to get the credit. We were all going to miss out on this easier standard. So she raised all of our grades. Thus I got the extra credits.

When I applied for an Illinois teaching license, the state board of education informed me that I was just a few credits away from being certified to teach Spanish. They told me that if I submitted high school transcripts, they would give me credit for my high school studies (I didn't tell them about the previous college credit for the high school studies). The end result is that after studying Spanish all through high school and one college course, I am certified to teach Spanish in any high school in the state of Illinois.

BTW if any of you younger board members (by some strange quirk of fate) ever end up in a Spanish class of mine -- run. Fortunately, I've avoided teaching Spanish (over the years a few high school principals thought me teaching Spanish was a brilliant idea -- saving money and all that, but I've managed to convince them otherwise for the time being) and stick to teaching English (my native language).

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

Edited for a spelling error. Sorry, just a professional credibility thing -- English Teacher and all.

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 04-30-2001).]