Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

Default Blackguard help

Im doing a Blackguard-based character for my first-ever run through SoU (and eventually HotU).
My plan is making a massively evil Cleric (actually, making him good to start out, then turning evil in the elven crypt...hehehe). Im thinking about the cleric kits War and Strenght, much because of role-playing. This character will have a large thirst for power, and thus he becomes a blackguard. Im going with cleric until he reaches the requiered BAB for blackguard. I also want a third class mixed in,and it's here I need help. What should I use? Weapon Master maybe? It will come in later stages of leveling anyways, adding an extra edge to the character. Any other suggestions for a third class? I might add, that im not really much for sneaky characters...

Im thinking at least 13 levels of Cleric, and 15 as a Blackguard...the rest is free for other
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: Blackguard help

Methinks a few levels of rogue will fit in nicely. You need hide for the blackguard skill requirement, why not fit in some rogue? Spend points on the useful tumble, hide and use magic device (using monk only boots or so).
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Tyrion
Quintesson

Well I want to run around in big, heavy black armour and maybe a shield (or a greatsword, haven't decided yet), so won't that cancel out many of my Rouge abilities? It would be nice, however...and the sneak attack will stack, right? I might take 3 levels of Rouge to get evasion and Uncanny Dodge.

Maybe throw in some levels of fighter? Weapon Specialization is nice...

I could just go 20/20 with Cleric and Blackguard...that would max many of my spells for cleric and give me a very nice Vrock to summon...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
Well I want to run around in big, heavy black armour and maybe a shield (or a greatsword, haven't decided yet), so won't that cancel out many of my Rouge abilities?
No. Only certain dex skills get gimped by armour, like hide and tumble. Nevertheless, using that few rogue levels prevents you from taking hide as crossclass, thus saving some points, and tumble isn't really useful for anything but the AC bonus per 5 ranks, and that works regardless of armor. No special abilities the rogue gains (evasion, uncanny dodge, sneak attack) are cancelled by armor.

In fact, I played a fighter1/rogue x in Daggerford module in nwn1, wearing fullplate+shield, and picked things like open lock, disarm trap, search etc. all skills without the penalty from armor. This character could hit hard in melee, had high AC and useful skills next to it. One of the best 3.5 concepts I've ever done.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
Well I want to run around in big, heavy black armour and maybe a shield (or a greatsword, haven't decided yet)
Hells, you want to be a blackguard - use a greatsword!!! What kind of blackguard hides behind a shield - you're supposed to be hitting people, not letting them hit you!

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Don't forget that the blackguard sneak attack stacks! So a few levels of rogue and blackguard can get some fairly nasty sneak attacks( fighter Ab w/ sneak attack)... ( and take epic fiend they make nice pets...)