Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-16-2002, 06:13 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

It seems that as time goes by people are saying or doing things that are offensive and more and more people are offended.

The most glaring example, of course, is the Trent Lott debacle.
Many people were offended, but one person interviewed on ABC said he didn't think "racism" was a bad word.

Being offended is a very personal thing, though when many feel the same way it can grow into a movement.

Many times things have been posted here that are considered offensive.

Posting perceived "crimes" of Ronald Reagan.

Saying all Arabs are evil.

Dissenting opinions on whether God exists.

Posting quotes by "Famous Atheists".

Posting a poll about political parties which are exclusively American.

Saying George W. Bush is an idiot.

ETC.

Most threads are started here in the hope of finding others that share your views and to a lesser extent to find varying counter viewpoints that will help balance a persons own views. I don't think many people here set out to post to offend others.

I have felt offended many times in the past and have not handled it well here at times. Sometimes being offended is helpful...it builds character, perhaps.

But grandstanding at being offended to shore up a person's side of an argument is helpful to no one, if it is not fully truthful.

Your thoughts?

Mark

[Caveat: This is not a thread that points fingers at anyone. If anyone feels I am flaming them, I will say again, I mention no one by name. This a discussion not an Inquisition.]

[ 12-17-2002, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 12-16-2002, 06:51 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
But grandstanding at being offended to shore up a person's side of an argument is helpful to no one, if it is not fully truthful.
So I would guess that while you're not trying to flame anyone this is the point of your post? Who do you think isn't being fully truthful?

Just a hint for the future, go ahead and name names next time. Most people know who your talking about when you make these posts or could easily look in the threads to find out who you're targeting, so save those few, who would have to spend time looking them up, some trouble next time. I mean why bother with the "I'm not singling anyone out" approach when you most certainly are..lol.

Mark this isn't a flame or anything, but IMHO, you seem to be the most "offended" person on this board. You seldom debate the issues anymore but always seem ready to jump into a discussion thread to point out when someone else is being "offensive". As I've pointed out in one of the threads you mentioned, you seem much more willing to point out the errors of those who oppose your general viewpoint than pointing out the errors of all.

Selective enforcement can be offensive, too.

[ 12-16-2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 12-16-2002, 07:03 AM   #3
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, Ronn...while I see your point, I have to admit that if I were being mocked in the manner Mark was, I'd be offended, too.

Edit: And just for the record - I'm Switzerland in all this. I'm not taking sides.

[ 12-16-2002, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: DragonMage ]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:19 AM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

It seems the phrase "I´m not offending anyone" ensures that a lot of people becomes offended. Maybe we should write I am trying to offend everyone to get an adverse reaction? LLAO!
Old 12-16-2002, 07:25 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Let's take the personal gripes to pm, people.

Mark, your first few sentences are fine for general discussion, but the rest of the post appears to be a vague refererence to disagreements from various threads you've been in. That is really a subject for private email/pm to those you have the issues with, preferably at the time you find yourself feeling offended, but if the issue still bothers you, by all means contact those you are concerned about and discuss it there. This kind of "I'm not pointing a finger, but...." is likely to end in some flames if continued, if only because someone thinks you mean him/her, when you don't.

Again, the first part of your thread seems to be a general discussion topic and if you want to continue on that line, go right ahead.

General Note for everyone: Remember, if you have problems with an individual or individuals, pm or email is where it goes.

My caveat to everyone else, *don't assume you are being targeted here and keep to the general discussion subject as opposed to the personal inferences, ie: the idea that society or US society is growing more easily offended*.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:51 AM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

3 of the 6 examples are ones that in threads I have posted myself. If people want to know who said what from my examples, they can search for them. That is not the point of the examples. It just shows there are issues that some of us find offensive. This is not an Inquisition by me.

I also stated:
Quote:
I have felt offended many times in the past and have not handled it well here at times.
I believe I am as thin skinned as anyone.

And I never said anyone was untruthful. I said that grandstanding at being offended is helpful to no one "if" it is not fully truthful. Never intimated that anyone here does that, but many Politicians do just that.

Hope this is a little clearer.

Mark

[ 12-16-2002, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 12-16-2002, 08:27 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, I agree about the politicians! I've seen some take a stand then find that they aren't in the majority or their own party isn't happy with their public comments and suddenly they do a 180 and are taking another stand, completely opposite the one they had earlier! Crazy stuff, politics!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:04 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Here's a little reality check for everyone - pretend you're all sitting around a table discussing whatever you're discussing, in real life - at a pub or something. I think you'll find that manners and communication will suddenly become a lot better from all concerned, whether you initiated an offensive topic, or found another topic offensive. In real life people seem to have this amazing talent for either agreeing to disagree, not arguing till the cows come home, and generally being able to self-moderate their discussions. It's amazing what the anonymity of the internet does to make people act in ways that they wouldn't do if they were face-to-face with others.

And if you act like an arrogant ass in real life, and you can't resolve your difference of opinion with another person in a rational, civilized manner, well, that's why they have bouncers at pubs, eh.

Just some food for thought.

[ 12-16-2002, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 12-16-2002, 09:20 AM   #9
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Here's a little reality check for everyone - pretend you're all sitting around a table discussing whatever you're discussing, in real life - at a pub or something. I think you'll find that manners and communication will suddenly become a lot better from all concerned, whether you initiated an offensive topic, or found another topic offensive. In real life people seem to have this amazing talent for either agreeing to disagree, not arguing till the cows come home, and generally being able to self-moderate their discussions. It's amazing what the anonymity of the internet does to make people act in ways that they wouldn't do if they were face-to-face with others.

And if you act like an arrogant ass in real life, and you can't resolve your difference of opinion with another person in a rational, civilized manner, well, that's why they have bouncers at pubs, eh.

Just some food for thought.
So that's why I keep getting thrown out of pubs. Thanks for the headsup Memsy. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

*runs before the Genie-boy starts laying the smack down on him*

Erm...on the topic at hand(and so I dont get accused of [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] ing up Marks' thread...) I *do* believe that people seem to be becoming more and more thin-skinned. I see it constantly, on message boards, in the newspaper, in person...IMO people are just too damn namby-pamby lately. There seem to be people out there who's entire reason for living is to sit around and read the newspaper, watch tv, surf the net, etc, with the sole purpose of being offended. And then, when they (inevitably) *do* get offended, they sue someone, or start a hate mail campaign, or a website, or an 'action group'. BLARG!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I mean, get a life folks...there's more to this existance than sitting around waiting for someone to poke you in the nose. The problem with that type of thinking is...if you continue to invite people to do it...eventually, someone will.

tosses [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] on the table and wanders out to watch the snow fall.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 12-16-2002, 09:31 AM   #10
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
So that's why I keep getting thrown out of pubs. Thanks for the headsup Memsy. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

*runs before the Genie-boy starts laying the smack down on him*

Erm...on the topic at hand(and so I dont get accused of [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] ing up Marks' thread...) I *do* believe that people seem to be becoming more and more thin-skinned. I see it constantly, on message boards, in the newspaper, in person...IMO people are just too damn namby-pamby lately. There seem to be people out there who's entire reason for living is to sit around and read the newspaper, watch tv, surf the net, etc, with the sole purpose of being offended. And then, when they (inevitably) *do* get offended, they sue someone, or start a hate mail campaign, or a website, or an 'action group'. BLARG!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I mean, get a life folks...there's more to this existance than sitting around waiting for someone to poke you in the nose. The problem with that type of thinking is...if you continue to invite people to do it...eventually, someone will.

tosses [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] on the table and wanders out to watch the snow fall.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] good post! I have noticed this in many places too. I have also noticed that people don't seem to look where they are walking or driving as much as they used to (seriously) - could the two be connected - perhaps by something like a growing 'global self centredness'?