Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-06-2001, 06:57 PM   #41
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Yorick, i am enjoying the sojourn, it feels like you are talking not writing it's amazing. you write the way you talk and the way you appear to think. but what is it about 'Leonis' that you found so odd?

------------------
Yea hath Cor Leonis said?
Old 03-06-2001, 07:36 PM   #42
Stealthy

Yorick, I have said it before and I will say it again that you should publish your journal. Boring, you must be joking! For any who don't know, you can listen to his music by downloading the songs from my site, in the profile, but read Moraines instructions first.

------------------

Charlie's S-Plan diet is no better than his invisibility potion!
Old 03-06-2001, 07:38 PM   #43
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Thanks again for your interesting reports, Yorick:

1)The "wooden bed-on-stilts-above-a-room situation" is called a "Hochbett" and it is very cool and also very practical, escpecially in old buildings with their very high ceilings where there would be so much unused space without them. Don't forget that rents tend to be very high in crowded old Europe. I personally also like "Hochbette" because I get a cozy feeling sleeping up there "in the sky".

2) Go on crossing streets at red lights if you feel like it. I do it all the time. There might be a fine, but I never heard of anyone having to pay it. The Police is much too busy with more important matters, especially in a big city like Berlin. Committing this hideous crime can get you a couple of strange looks from some old folks, though. But in Berlin ? Strange.

3) The Kurd being shot in the process of trying to storm the Israeli embassy,
did not cause that much of an outcry, since he was not shot by German police but by a security guard of the embassy. For obvious reasons, the German authorities and public are a little hesitant about criticizing Israel. The incident was actually not related to the Kosovo war but to the arrest/kidnapping of Kurdish
terrorist/guerrilla leader Abdullah Öcalan by Turkish agents. The Kurds attacked the Israeli embassy, because the Turkish embassy had been sealed off by German police in anticipation of the protests and Israel is a military ally of Turkey. There was a debate in the German press afterwards if the authorities could/should have foreseen this turn of events. Actually, I think the building
being stormed was not even the Israeli Embassy, but the private residence of the Israeli ambassador.(Note: with 2.5 million people Germany has by far the largest Turkish population outside of Turkey itself, roughly one third of which are actually Kurds with Turkish passports. Therefore any internal Turkish conflict has repercussions in Germany as well. As immigrant ethnic minorities usually are the Turks are concentrated in the big cities: In Berlin with a total population of 3.5 million there are about 250.000 of them, here in Cologne, about one million inhabitants, live roughly 100.000 )

Happy sojourning !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-06-2001, 07:52 PM   #44
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

This is a fascinating thread! Yorick, you are in no way boring. I'm learning a lot and wishing I had the opportunity to go to Berlin too.

Ramon, I appreciated your additions to the conversation. They helped to clarify some of what Yorick was describing.

THIS is the kind of thing that excites me about this place! Our world community grows!!

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:37 AM   #45
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Stealthy, I shall give serious consideration to your words. Thankyou.

Leonis, Thankyou too. The 'oddity' is the feeling when two worlds collide, ´tis all. Great Sig. It´s so 'you'. ("Fight like a Berzerker")

Bilqis, Gabriel, Reeka, BK, cheers. Hope you are all well.

And Ramon. Yes the Hochbett is a great idea, really cool - though I´d imagine really warm in winter as hot air rises. Maybe that´s a reason why it´s not so popular in Oz. We´d die up there in summer.

I´m wondering if this Iraqi Kurd woman is actually from Turkey? My friend may have it wrong. The Turko-German friendship would explain much about the reluctance to give her refugee status.
Your explaination of the embassy situ. makes good sense too, thank you for filling in the gaps. The picture gets clearer and clearer.

Re. the fine, it was the fellow I´m staying with, and it seems he was on a bike when he ignored the red man.

He is a fascinationg guy, this Berliner. Very interesting, knowlegeable and well versed in history/current affairs. He lent me a book that laughs at Apartheid (the only medicine for the author apparently) It´s a collection of news articles and quotes from "seemingly rational men", proclaiming "mind boggling and logic defying lunacies".
Take this one:

"The government adopts the attitude that the Bantu is a human being.
-Dr R Maclachlan (National Party Westdene),House of Assembly,
February 25 1972"

What was the attitude before???!!!

Try this:

" 'The police pulled my panties out of a cupboard and commented on them being there. I kept trying to explain that they were there because it was my home,' she said - Mrs Barbara Simpson, of Mauritian and Scots descent, aquitted of a charge under the Immorality Act of having relations with the white father of her four children, describing the raid in which she was arrested. She was declared to be white.
Sunday Times, June 21 1971"

Frightening. This book takes a humorous look at a completely bizzare society.

Apartheid: The Lighter Side
(Chameleon Press)
by Ben Maclennan

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-07-2001, 07:42 AM   #46
Moiraine
Anubis

Wow ! Very interesting post, Yorick.

------------------
Old 03-07-2001, 08:36 AM   #47
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting stuff, Yor.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-07-2001, 08:35 PM   #48
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Well, Yorick, take a seat this gonna be another long one.

The Kurd refugee might very well be from Iraq. I do not know if you know it, but
the Kurds, estimates of their total number range from 15-25 Mio., live split up in three countries: more than a half of the total in Turkey, mostly in the southeastern portion, the other factions live across the border in neighbouring northern Iraq and western Iran. In Turkey they have always been denied the most basic human rights, they are not allowed to speak their language in public, there are no newspapers, radio or TV programs in Kurdish, nor Kurdish universities. Politicians that campaign for Kurdish rights are persecuted and imprisoned. Until quite recently the Turkish government even denied that Kurds even existed, calling them "Mountain Turks". The southeastern region where they
form the majority is by far the least developed and poorest. Under such circumstances it was inevitable that opposition sprung up, but it was brutally crushed by the military and under such grim oppression only the most extreme and fanatic opposition force could survive, fight back and therefore gain credibilty with the Kurds: the terrorist and Stalinistic Kurdish Communist Party
of Abdullah Öcalan (see above).

Fore many years the Kurds in Iraq actually fared better as they enjoyed the benefits of a limited cultural and political regional autonomy. I am actually not sure how political autonomy works in a dictatorship, though. Anyway, eventually things got worse, there was a Kurdish uprising which was defeated, including the use of toxic gas by Saddam, and the Kurds were saved by the Gulf War, as a result of which the central government lost control over the Kurdish territories.

The last part may actually explain why that Kurdish woman has problems to be granted the status of a political refugee: I could imagine, pure speculation on my part, that the authorities claim that she was not facing persecution in Iraq
as the central government did not have control over the area where she lived.

All of the above does not mean that I claim that the German legal situation for political refugees is anywhere near to perfect, quite the contrary. That is actually one of most delicate and controversial topics today here in Germany:

As a result of the fact that many German dissidents had had to seek political asylum abroad during Nazi rule, the Federal Republic of Germany during the first four decades of its existence had one of most liberal laws on political asylum in the world. One of first articles of the constitution stated that each individual entering the country, even illegally, was entitled to the right of political asylum regardless where he/she came from, provided it could be proven that the individual had been personally persecuted.

The legal status, a high standard of living and back then still rather generous social benefits resulted in a situation in the early nineties in which the annual number of asylum seekers had risen to over half a million, two thirds of all refugees in Europe. On top of that came another half a million "civil war refugees" from Bosnia. This situation and populistic conservative demagogues trying to take advantage and appeal to the extreme right fringe of the political spectrum sparked discontent in some segments of the population and an ensuing extremely emotional and controversial debate in the media and in the political arena if the constitutional right of asylum should, could, had to be restricted or not. One side claimed that Germany was carrying an unfair share of the burden
in Europe, that the costs of the social benefits for the refugees were ruining the municipal budgets, that the very low quota (under 5%) of asylum seekers that were eventually granted political refugee status showed that most were not actually coming for political but economic reasons, that the high legal status as a constitutional right caused the procedures to determine if the individual had been persecuted and was therefore entitled to stay to take way too long (an average of some years for the cases to be eventually turned down, quite a few going through all the stages of appeal and ending up before the federal constitutional court). The other side claimed that for historic reasons Germany was morally obliged to carry an over-proportionate share of the burden, at least until through diplomatic channels and the EU the other European countries could be convinced to participate in a fairer burden-sharing, that as rich a country could afford the costs, that the low quota of recognition as political refugees was at least partially a result of unfair procedures, that the remaining people coming were not unfairly to be labelled as "economic refugees" but as "poverty refugees" (yes, in had become that kind of maddening debate where such a detail could dominate a whole 2 hour discussion on TV), and that the recognition procedures could be significantly speeded up through mere administrative changes.

At the time occured a couple of hideous arson attacks on refugee residences and the homes of Turkish immigrants by right-wing fanatics, that claimed several lives.That started an incredibly ugly blameshifting contest with the right accusing the left of being responsible by stalling a political resolution of the "refugee problem" and therefore causing popular frustration to build up which eventually had found an outlet, while the left accused the right of creating a political climate, by xenophobic demagogy and hyping the refugee issue, in which right racists had eventually felt that through their crimes they were only enacting the will of the "silent majority".

Fortunately, that was not to be the only reaction to this surge of hate crimes:
Private initiatives started to organize anti-racism demonstrations all over Germany with several ten thousands of participants in all big cities. The one I attended here in Cologne topped one hundred thousand and I almost was crushed,
as the square it was held in turned out to be way too small for the unexpected high number of people showing up.

In the political arena, even though at that time the conservative party was in government, the outcome really hinged on the biggest opposition party, the social democrats, since a two-third majority was needed for a constitutional change. For that party the issue was especially emotional as it has a long tradition of championing human rights and, even more importantly, as the vast majority of the political refugees from Germany in the Nazi period had been either communists or social democrats, the most prominent of them being Willy Brandt, later to become the first postwar social democrat in the office of federal chancellor (prime minister) and still the emotional father figure of the German left. But in the end, facing a potential disaster at upcoming general elections, they did give in. I think mainly for two reasons.
Many of their traditional lower middle class voters are deep down as more or less xenophobic and against immigration, partly for fear of social descent triggered by globalization, as the typical redneck voter of the conservatives. And the conservatives threatened to make it THE campaign and election issue, so IMO it was a similar effect of the one that makes left or liberal parties all over the world so susceptible to political blackmail whenever they fear the prospect of being successfully labelled "soft on crime". But it did cost them several ten thousands of disillusioned or even outraged members that left.

So the constitution was amended restricting the right to seek political asylum
to anybody not having entered the country via a "safe third country". That might sound insignificant but considering that Germany is now surrounded by democracies under the rule of law that actually means the only way to still qualify is to enter the country by a plane from outside of Europe. The social benefits for asylum seekers were also reduced to deter "refugees for economic reasons" and that is also the reason why until quite unrecently asylum seekers were not allowed to work.

The change proved to be very effective as the annual number of refugees went down from that half a million to 90.000 last year, actually the first year in decades in which another country, the UK, supplanted Germany as the top destination for refugees in Europe. The number of serious hate crimes also diminished significantly for a couple of years - there has been a quite alarming resurgence as of late - but it is still heavily debated if that was due to politics finally having acted and solved the "refugee problem" or because of the fact that the demonstrations had shown to the racists that they were actually isolated in society.

Well, is there still anybody out there ? Sorry for boring you to death with internal German affairs.

Back to the tales of Yorick ...

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 03-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 07:41 AM   #49
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bump !

------------------
So long !