Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-17-2001, 04:44 AM   #1
boowinstheday
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I haven't played the game with Valygar in the party for a long time, and was just wondering if he's actually a more capable fighter than Minsc (assuming their strengths can be magically boosted).

In addition, character-wise -- is it interesting to have Valygar? So far he is just broody and I'm wondering if it's possible that he will perk up in the course of the game.

On a side note, it was a pretty touching to see Minsc's welcome to Valygar the first time we came across him in Umar Hills. Did anyone pick both of them? Was the interaction fun?

(Sorry for all these questions , but I'm finding it pretty hard to let go of Minsc for my 2nd time through the game, and I want to make a more informed decision.)
Old 09-17-2001, 05:03 AM   #2
Chan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi...
For a time I pick both of them in my party..But Valygar is really bothering me after a time..Because in the dialogs he is always talking silly..(Acoording to me..)Minsc is a heartfelt paerson..Allright aybe his int and wisd can be low but his other skills are really good.And don't forget that he is a gerat tank in the front sides..
Also you said that at first time Minsc welcome Valygar.But at mostly the talkings are between Vlaygar Nalia And anomen in my party.They are not talking with each other..(Minsc and Valygar)So in my opinion Minsc is the best..He is funny
Old 09-17-2001, 05:24 AM   #3
boowinstheday
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Gee, thanks!

It's exactly how you put it... Minsc is just so warm and sweet and when my female PC even hints at dropping him, his "Boo and I will miss you, but I know we'll meet again" speech is just so tender that her eyes start to water.

If Minsc weren't so dim-witted, she'd take him any day over Anomen.
----------------------------------
"That's right, Boo. Do your daily exercise!"

Old 09-17-2001, 05:57 AM   #4
PoesRaven
Manshoon

If your using a Good aligned party, then id take Minsc ALWAYS! He's the best ranger in the game and an EXCELLENT fighter. Valygar is useful for the planar sphere, but thats all. I'd prefer to give my bow to minsc, and have a more versatile npc instead of Valygar (say Keledorn)
Old 09-17-2001, 08:25 AM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Minsc

------------------

"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Guardian of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Old 09-17-2001, 12:37 PM   #6
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Hmmm...while I do love the happy, Minsc, and the laughter he brings to the game, I don't think he is a better tank overall. Yes, he has better strenght but, Valygar, does just as much damage, it seems to me, with his katana and furthermore, he is capable of backstab damage and gets a few spells to boot at level 12th. I think their both good addtions to a party but need to be played according their strenghts.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 09-17-2001, 07:02 PM   #7
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Poor Valygar. He's not a bad fella, just awfully dull. Between his pic and voice it kinda seems like Whoopi and Ben Stein had a love child . Tell me I'm wrong?

Compare scripts.

Valygar
"Magic is foul. Magic is foul. Magic is foul."

Ben Stein
"Bueller, Bueller, Bueller"

------------
Ben Stein
"And has an ingredient to moisturize. Wow."

Valygar
"Here it is. The Sphere. Wow."

Heh,Heh!