Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-13-2001, 09:28 AM   #1
Marcos The Black
Dungeon Master

Hi,

I bought W&W a few month ago, and was really suprised to find a nice RPG in the "good old style"

I have only a problem with the Amazoni Mantraps, is there any way how, these beasts can be defeated???

Everytime they come near, they breath one time and i´m nearyl instantdeath.
This goes so fast, i´m hardly able to see, how they die (poison, petrify??)

So does anyone have an idea about how to handle these beasts?
My group is ~ level 10
2Paladins(female human,femal whiska),2warlocks(male elf,male pixar),monk(female oomphaz),rogue(male ratling).

And the other question is, i thinks i doesn´t understand the multiclass right.

My priest was level 6 or so when becoming a monk, had vine on level 6 but i´m now not able to get any vine spells larger than level3?

There stands some wired rule in the handbook, but i´m abit confused about that (my engish isn´t soo good either

so with regards (and in hope that this forum is not soo empty, cause of the age of this game
Marcos The Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 10:27 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

There are several strategies for fighting them. First of all, you need some upper level Sun magic spells (or the Meteorstorm spell in Stone magic).

The way I usually do it is:

I find the break in the trees just past the Burned-out House, leading into the Shire. I cautiously sneak in there and watch them "spawn" (right where the land meets the northern lake). I make sure they "see" me and then I retreat back through that narrow passage.

They attempt to follow, of course, but they can't get through. I then stand back and let fly with the "Firestorm" and "Meteorstorm" spells. If you don't have Firestorm and Meteorstorm, try "Burning Haze" and/or "Flamedrop" (Flamedrop will take FOREVER, but it will work if you don't have the higher-level parties).

Another option is to load up everyone using the "Merlin's Shield" spell and bum rush them. Merlin's Shield renders your characters nigh well invincible to Mantrap breath, although it isn't 100% foolproof, so having someone with "Cure Poison" or some cure poison potions is also worthwhile.

Some like to draw them out the the castle and get into the moat past where the Mantraps can go and fire on them from there. Others go all the way to the back of the castle, scale the wall, and fire at them from above the wall.

Hope this helps!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 10:36 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

On that strategy about catching the Mantraps in the trees...the only time I had trouble with that was on my last play-through. I was running back through the passage when a %&$@#%! Highland Raider came up right at the narrowest point and started attacking us! My party couldn't push him back, and the Mantraps were closing in on us...

"DROP YER WEAPONS! YER OUTNUMBERED!!!"

"Get back, you damned FOOL!!! Don't you see what's COMING???"

"You're going to DIE!!"

"We're ALL going to die, you IDIOT!!! GET OUT!! GET OUT!!!"

I've never killed a Highland Raider so quickly in all my life! LOL We beat it out to the road in just a split second before the green gases came. Talk about heart-pounding!

As to your other question, if you change roles, you can only gain Magic skills at 1/2 the skill level. So if you're Level 6 vine, you can only get Level 3 spells. If you're level 10 vine, you can only get level 5 spells. This is only for roles that do not support the spell group. For example, Paladin, which still supports Spirit magic, will let the character learn Spirit at the current skill level, but Vine will be 1/2 the skill level.

AND...if you like "old-school" RPG's...Wizardry 8 comes out today! Look for it at Electronics Boutique.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 12:13 PM   #4
Marcos The Black
Dungeon Master

Thanks!!

So i´ll try then, thought the merlin shield is only for spells (so only to protect from other wizards) and i was in the opinion that "breath" was a form of normal attack/ability of a creature
Old 11-13-2001, 12:19 PM   #5
Marcos The Black
Dungeon Master

By the way, thanks for the other hint, too!!!

I was so happy that my priest finished the task for becoming a monk, that I didn´t noticed the thing with the spellbooks.

But i think make a ranger out of one of my warrior->paladin soon, then i´ll get vine book again i think?

Old 11-13-2001, 12:58 PM   #6
aestra
Dungeon Master

ROFLSHMSH!!!

Unbelievable dialogue... should be in the GSE... LOL!
aestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 04:57 AM   #7
Marcos The Black
Dungeon Master

Ok, I tried the thing with the Merlin Shield, but instant death
So then i hurried to Shuregon Castle. Once inside i went on the Bridge slowly until i could aim on the mantraps.
It was very kind from them to stand still and didn´t come nearer or breath on me

I killed 4 of these beasts, so no wonder that i died so fast.
At the end i had absolutley no sun mana left and had to wait since i could release a new flamedrop on them
Old 11-14-2001, 05:42 AM   #8
Marcos The Black
Dungeon Master

hoo, where do i got these shields?
Old 11-14-2001, 08:49 AM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Marcos -

"Merlin's Shield" is a spell

Wyv