Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2001, 06:42 AM   #1
Vampire

as above

------------------
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 01:54 PM   #2
Moni

Check out the link below

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/No...ML/000022.html
Old 09-05-2001, 12:52 PM   #3
Vampire

No good. The link is vahlid but after that I am at an loss.
Please just summarise?

THANKS!

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 02:04 AM   #4
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Wizardry is a series of games that started in the early '80's. It's basically the granddaddy of every single game that has a forum here. The game it's most closely related to is Wizards&Warriors. Wizardry 8 is what will be the latest installment in the series. This will be the first sequel in the last 8 or 9 years. A compilation of all the previous games was made about 3 years ago (although I haven't been able to get my hands on it ).

I hope this info was sufficient. Let me know if you need more!

-Jafin

------------------

Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Guardian of Boo and best friend of Minsc
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 02:13 PM   #5
MagiK

With the advent of the Wizardry Series and the Ultima series in 1980 the history of CRPG's was started well not really there were text adventures and stuff but those two games changed the world.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:13 AM   #6
Vampire

Can you give me rough idea of what rules it uses??
XP-cap
Classes
Spells
Monsters
Is it in the Forgotten Realms??
Previous Storyline

THANKS as I know I'm asking for an awful lot.

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 12:58 PM   #7
MagiK

Theres a SirTech website that while long un-updated has that info. Don't have the link handy

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:06 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Have a link:

http://www.wizardry8.com/index2.html
And another:

http://members.aol.com/dsullo/wizardry.htm

Mark

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 09-10-2001).]
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 11:58 PM   #9
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
Can you give me rough idea of what rules it uses??
XP-cap
Classes
Spells
Monsters
Is it in the Forgotten Realms??
Previous Storyline

THANKS as I know I'm asking for an awful lot.

I'll answer your questions in number order to simplify things :

1: As far as I've been able to discover, there is no XP-Cap nor has there been in previous games. The only cap I was ever able to get to was the cap of my patience. I managed in Wizardry 2 to get some level 20-25 characters but that is really high.

2: There are 13 classes, some basic some rather elite. Here goes. I'm only going to give 8 of them because I don't know enough about the later ones that appeared in Wizardry 6 or later.

Fighter - You know all about these guys, they are the best fighters, better in hand-to-hand combat than any other class.

Mage - Again pretty standard. They cast powerful spells to destroy foes. These spells range from baseball sized small fireballs (not like the fireballs in BG) to the self explanatory Nuclear Blast.

Cleric - They use magic to heal, occasionally harm, and can handle themselves relatively well with weapons and armor. Their use of weapons is restricted however, to things like maces and flails. They can dispel undead (dispel undead is like Turn Undead except it destroys them outright instead of making them run).

Thief - Thieves are pretty much the same as thieves in every other game. In Wiz 8 I believe they changed the name to Rogue.

Bishop - Bishops can cast spells from every sphere of magic (mage, priest, alchemist, psionic, I think that's all) they can use light armor (leather) and cleric weapons. A jack-of-all-trades in the magic world.

Samurai - These are one of my favorites. They use most fighter weapons and armor and upon reaching level 4 they gain the ability to cast mage spells. They can cast spells while wearing armor which I rather like . They don't fight quite as well as a fighter however because they made fighters super neato powerful warriors in Wizardry 8 last I heard.

Lord - Pretty much a paladin. They use all fighter weapons and armor and upon reaching level 4 they can cast priest spells and can dispel undead.

Ninja - These can be the most powerful characters in the game. They can use all fighter weapons and armor, they can use most (all?) thief abilities, and at higher levels they can cast alchemist spells. However, they fight best without weapons or armor. As they level up, their AC lowers (AC is pretty much the same as in BG). They are skilled in fighting with hands and feet, able to inflict critical hits which will instantly kill an enemy. They are very lethal at even the lower levels. You don't wanna see them at level 20 .

That's all I really remember right now. It gives you an idea as to what's in the game.

3: Spells are divided into a few different spheres, according to what uses them: Mage, Priest, Alchemist, and Psionic. I think this is all of them. Specific info is at the Wizardry 8 website. I'll put a link at the end of this post for any other info you want.

4: There be LOTS of monsters in Wizardry 8. I think they are divided into 60 categories or something like that (like slime, orc, human, etc.) and in the end there is something like several hundred monsters.

5: No, it's not in the Forgotten Realms. The Wizardry series was made by Sir-Tech, not Black Isle or TSR or any company that has anything to do with them (although I think Interplay did the Ultimate Wizardry Archives). In fact, Wizardry dates back to before the Forgotten Realms campaign setting for AD&D was invented.

6: The storyline of each Wizardry series expanded of the previous game so it would take a LOT of writing to tell you all about it. I'll try my best to keep it very small, just enough to give you an overview. In Wizardry 1 you attempt to retrieve a powerful amulet from an evil Wizard (good ole rpg stuff eh?). In Wizardry 2 you go through a dungeon searching for the armor and sword of the Knight of Diamonds so that you can find the Staff of Gnylda so that the castle of Llylgamyn (the place where the first 5 Wizardry games take place). In Wizardry 3 you climb a tower in search of an orb that will again save Llylgamyn. Wizardry 4 is rather strange. You play as the evil wizard in Wizardry 1 who seeks vengeance against those who defeated him before. It's a lot different than any of the other Wizardry's. In Wizardry 5 you must find a great sage who is the only person that can close the great maelstrom, a vortex that will devour the castle, the world, and eventually existance as we know it. In Wizardry 6 you search for the Cosmic Forge, a pen that has the power to rewrite history. You must retrieve it from the one who stole it. I never understood the story of Wizardry 7, I never played it.

I hope this was what you're looking for. Anything not found here in my post can be found here at the official Wizardry 8 site www.wizardry8.com It doesn't have the description of every spell though.

-Jafin

------------------

Proud Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Proprietor of the Boogre Bar

[This message has been edited by Jafin (edited 09-20-2001).]
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote