Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I don't have a cell phone so I would not know...but for those that do, I wanted to find out if you knew about this feature and if it indeed is true...

I am told that if you are driving around and an unmarked car has a flashing light and wants to pull you over, you can dial *677 on your cell and confirm if the car behind you is indeed a cop or if you are being followed by a potentially dangerous person.

You can also call this number to confirm to the dispathcer that you acknowledge the police behind you but that you cannot stop for whatever emergency reason, and could you be allowed to continue for now.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Here's a snippet of what Snopes has to say...

Quote:
Although in some states #77 will connect you to that state's Highway Patrol, that code is not universal. Others use *55, *47, or *HP, and some don't have any code at all. Rather than frantically try to figure out which one will work in the area you're in, get around the problem by calling 911

The #677 apparently comes from this story's migration into Canada, where *677 is the non-emergency cell caller line for the Ontario Provincial Police, aka the OPP (6..7..7... check your phone dial). In Australia, it's 112, as it is in the UK.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks. I did not even think to check there first. I figured that it could be validated merely by asking a person with a cell phone.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I dialed it and got Satan's next door neighbour.

o_0
Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Yeah, and stop calling me. I've got enough problems since the neighborhood has gone to hell.