Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2003, 03:30 PM   #1
quietman1920

I'm a bit of a wiseguy on-line and I know I kid a lot. If I've cause more than a chuckle, I'm sorry. I'm hoping that you'd consider offering me some advice on something

I've been posting on another board for a long time. That board, which is mainly European in audience, has a very political flavor. During the past 6 months, I've caught some abuse for my centrist POV as the world has seemed to polarize. I don't agree with the reasons behind the Iraq war, but I also don't agree with ideas like hoping all the 'imperialist troops' die horrible deaths just to spite Bush. Basically, I've been catching abuse daily now, with very few supporters, from people who I thought were friends (or at least acquaintences).

Now granted, there have been times where I really lit into people when they stepped over the line, but all that's bought me is a Tee-shirt with the word "Pariah" on it. Its also a bit difficult for me as I can't just drop by "pub X on the 14th" for get togethers the way a lot of people on that board can, which has helped to exclude me as "The Septic" (HATE that phrase. Grrrr...). I guess what I'm wondering is...is it time to cut ties and just move on? These people Were actually great to be with before the war. That, and its an admittedly witty environment. Its just that I really don't feel I'm welcome any longer by more than half of that Board and the Silence is Deafening.

I know that message boards evolve and change or even die all the time (someone even told me that their shelf life is about 2 years). I guess this is just the first time a board and I have seemed to part ways. I'm wondering what you'd do if you were me. Would you:

A) Stop posting, but lurk until the politics settle.

B) Chase after them like Rambo with a Browning until they either ban me or waive a white flag.

C) Put the website in a word document with a reminder to open it in 6 months and see what's going on then.

D) Wish them Bon Voyage and just move on.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, there are alot of Europeans here and on other boards as well. And we discuss the war here and on the other forums I go to as well. The key is, I think, in stating your position but doing it in as unantagonistic way as possible. AND most importantly, respect their right to disagree with you and hold as different world view. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

I get the feeling that maybe you "lit into" one person too many. Why don't the post a thread "aplogizing" if you feel that is appropriate and start trying to be a bit more tolerant.

And I don't think it it the "pub" thing. It is great when on-line people CAN get together in real-life but I don't believe that is what is really going on.

I would try to mend my fences. But that is just me.

I think that you will find though that all the forums have "alot of Europeans." The trick is to respect others and their views.

Hope this helps.

*hugs*
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 04-03-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quietman, not all boards demand respect for opinions. Sounds like you may be on one of those boards where minority opinions get marginalized and scoffed at. If that's the case, who needs the headache?? People forced or volunteering to listen to the open exchange of ideas (like on IWF) can learn, teach, and grow.

But, if you're in a place where the flock gets to abuse its black sheep, just start cussin' at them like the narrow-minded idiots they are. Drag out every dirty phrase, disgusting image, banal insult you know and go down in a blaze of glory. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

With all due respect, TL. that is just the kind of attitude that creates a bad impression of Americans to Europeans and other people.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 04-03-2003, 10:34 PM   #5
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Reeka, I wouldn't do it the way that TL is advocating. (I think he is actually being tongue-in-cheek.) I actually like the approach that you offered. However the viewpoint that TL "voiced" is hardly just an American trait. Here at IW, the last few "blazes of profanity/glory" were by European members. I think the sooner that all of us come to understand how similar we all are, in good and bad traits, the sooner we will start bridging our differences.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:48 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, I shall have to stand by my buddy, Timber Loftis, and also my wife. When she figured out that the Bioware board members were pricking her around, she FLAMED THE BOARDS and never came back. A bit extreme, I'll admit, but effective, judging from the anguished e-mails she got.

[ 04-03-2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 04-03-2003, 11:27 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Just hang around IW instead. Were a much better class of people [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I've lurked at other forums but after seeing some of the abuse, lack of respect ect I've thought why bother? This has imo got a very good mix, fun, educated, mostly irreverent and well moderated. Some times I think some slapdowns by Ziroc and co are fast and harsh, however the end result is undeniable.

Just one of the many reasons that Ironworks has my favour is the way personal problems are warmly and genuinely discussed. Also worthy of note is the average age here is very young with many still at school, but gee their arguments and observations put most to shame.

But please don't flame your way to a ban from the other forum, just quietly close and lock the door behind you. [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-04-2003, 03:32 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

if they give you too much headache and caused you to become bad mood always. move on. there's plenty of board out there. I bet they won't even notice you're missing.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:48 AM   #9
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I would go for:

A) Stop posting, but lurk until the politics settle.

If I find that the board (or its memebers) don't appeal to my style anymore, I will quietly go away. Just because certain members (or majority, for that matters) of the board do not seemed to get along with you is not an excuse to make a scene.

At least when and if I choose to return, they will still welcome me...
Old 04-04-2003, 06:29 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

personally i would go for a mix of A & D.. its up to you man.. but if you feel that you dont get respect simply because your a minority, dont bother going back there. if your leaving temporarily, inform some of your friends that your going away for a while till things die down so they wont be wondering where you went. you always welcome here in IW (as long as you respect the rights and opinions of others & follow the rulez of course [img]smile.gif[/img] ). going down in glory would be nice.. but still, i for one would like to keep my own personal membership there in that board... you may never know you may be the majority one day.

Catch me if you can..