Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 06-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
SHO-VA
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well boys and girls, they have really done it this time..

OE (Obsidion Entertainment) is now in another round of damage controll, over once again their horrible PW support.

This time, it looks like its been leaked that players will have to download the entire PW mod, before being able to play them.

there are 2 threads on this that I have found so far, with a DEVs rather lamebutt responce.

here are the links to the threads:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...4472&forum=100
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...4524&forum=100

to save you all time and trouble of finding my post, and since i posted the same thing on both threads, i will share it with you here aswell. Enjoy [img]smile.gif[/img]

First sorry but i'm going to post this on both threads as who knows which one will get a dev responce, if any.

Quote:
Posted 06/11/06 00:08:23 (GMT) by Darren Monahan
We are making every effort to prevent the need for the server(s) to distribute scripts, dialogs, or any other proprietary data to the client so that it can be examined or reverse engineered.
here is my take on this, "We are making every effort to prevent the need..." ok, so at this point, 10-14 weeks from release, everything that makes PWs unique, needs to be shared with the player, as a DL. Your hopefull that you'll work something out so that is not the case, but right now, looks like it is the case. I have to wonder, just what it is the PW community did, or didnt do, to get such lousy support from your company.

To all those that would call me a doom crier, (again) All I can say is that this isnt the only issue that I find down right disturbing from a product I have been watching the progress of for over a year now. 1, to 5 issues, I could deal with. 10+ is getting to the point of why bother at all.

To the OC, and SP players the PWs mean nothing. Apparently to OE, we are worth even less. That may be doom crying, But that is becomming more and more the feeling lots of future PW builders/hosts in NWN2 are getting. Several have decieded not to do their Plans in NWN2. Lots more are on the fence, and leaning further and further to the no side.

For the future of PWs in NWN2, it isnt a bright and shiny great new graffix world. It is a ever shrinking pool of talent, that will look to other games to make their mark.
Sure, there may be, PWs in NWN2. There will also be alot less of them overall. That translates into fewer Sp mods to dl, and less custom content from the community. Well Done OE, thanks for the 10d6 backstab.

before I give the SP doom callers any more ammunition, OE, the definition of a sequel is: A book, motion picture, Video game, or dramatic presentation that continues the content, or narrative of an earlier work.
In NWN2, we know it was never going to be a continuation of the OC from NWN, so that leaves content. Since your not encluding everything that NWN has, you have failed on content too. Its not a sequel anymore, Its a new engine, new graffix and a 20 hour OC. Stop calling it NWN2, and start calling it OEs NWN, the 20 hour play by yourself game...

Really, NWN2 is looking, more and more like New Coke did.. We all remember how well that went over.

P.S. your new screenshots look rather lame. whats with the Michael Jackson lookalike character in them?

[ 06-10-2006, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: SHO-VA ]
Old 06-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

SHO-VA, I'll be showing my ignorance but what is PW?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
SHO-VA
Elite Waterdeep Guard

PW, persistant world. or any on-line multi player mod. Escape from Undermountain is a PW.

cant wait to hear Z's comments on this. I doubt he' would want every single thing he has made sent to all the players to ruin the surprise...
Old 06-11-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Neverwinter Nights 2 is a complete piece of shit, and Obsidian Entertainment is a joke.

Obsidian will go out of Business within 4 months of NWN2's release.

I believe now I can say with all certainty that I won't even be BUYING NWN2.

I'll stick with NWN1. A game made by Bioware, a company that doesn't shit on its customers and drop bomb (I.E. LIES) at the last second, and withhold MAJOR shitty issues and try to hide crap design.

Oh yeh, in his video, the moron says "We wanted it to be as good as NWN1, but with more". yeh. More... more WHAT? Incompetence?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm it seems its only the walk meshes for the tilesets that needs to be transmitted.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My obvious question is, why? While we have to have the current .hak files to play in online modules, if any are required, why would we have to download walkmeshes to join a game? If everybodies game version is the same, shouldn't the walk meshes, along with all the other non custom content, be included? I don't get it, but I'm going to go check out the threads, to see if there is a logical explanation, or another barrage of excuses.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by SHO-VA:
Well boys and girls, they have really done it this time..

OE (Obsidion Entertainment) is now in another round of damage controll, over once again their horrible PW support.

This time, it looks like its been leaked that players will have to download the entire PW mod, before being able to play them.
Isn't this exactly what we have to do now? Like we've all been madly downloading EfU before we can play it?

Anyone fancy explaining what the problem is in layman's terms? [img]smile.gif[/img]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

In layman's terms, a module is made by combining different building blocks. Some of those building blocks are included in the game. Others are made by custom content creators. What you downloaded are the building blocks Ziroc made. What you didn't download is how he combined those with the building blocks that came with the game to make the EfU module.
Having to download the entire module means you can view the module in the toolset, which means you can find out how the building blocks are used, what is where in which area, and what loopholes in the code can be exploited. Fortunately, that does not seem to be what OE was talking about.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

However, until they get the fix in, that is exactly what would have to happen. They have a couple of months, but by and large, it's just another straw on the broken backed camel that has become NWN's 2. I have to agree with one of the comments posted; "If you're so worried about a good SP game, just release it as a console game."
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #10
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Well I am an SP fan so going the route of console does me absolutely no good. I hate when they design a game for console and then port it to PC. Something always is lacking.

That being said, as an SP fan I also firmly believe that the designers MUST put every effort into the PW/Multi-player design. My reasoning is that to cut corners anywhere hurts the game overall and BOTH catagories suffer.

I raise the question that I raised two weeks ago: Is this Atari pressuring Obsidian to release this game sooner than it should be? Would it be better to have it released in December? Yeah, I know, nobody wants to wait -- well at least a lot sombodies.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote