Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-29-2002, 12:27 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would like to hear the opinions of some of our PnP DM's on a dispute I had in a game.

As I've mentioned in other threads, Cerek was a 1st Edition barbarian. He never liked mages and he eventually recieved Magic Resistance from a non-standard artifact.

The specifics of his Magic Resistance were:
99% Magic Resistance - UNaffected by caster's level.
Total immunity to ANY spell under 7th level.

Then, 2nd Edition came out with a new spell call Lower Magic Resistance, which was 6th Level and had NO SAVE. It automatically lowered MR by a percentage amount.

In a different game, the same DM that gave me the MR tried to hit Cerek with this spell.

I said it wouldn't work because I had MR granted by an artifact and this was just an ordinary spell. He said that, since the spell was specifically designed to lower MR, it didn't matter HOW I got it.(In our group, Artifact and Relic powers would work, even under the effects of an Anti-Magic Shell).

I then pointed out that I was immune to ANY spell lower than 7th level, so it would still fizzle, but he disagreed.

So...I want your honost opinion as a DM...who was right?

[ 03-29-2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 03-29-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Lower magic resistance should lower any normal magic resistance, but since your magic resistance came from an artifact, and even a dead magic zone can't prevent an artifact from working, it would be very possible that your character's magic resistance can't be lowered.

But your Dm has the final say in his sessions, so if for some reason he think it would unbalance the game (I don't know, maybe you decided to storm the Most powerfull mage academy of your realm ) then he has the right to say it can be lowered.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:18 PM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Even if the LMR spell would affect the resistance granted by the artifact, Cerek with artifact is not a valid target for the spell, so to speak. If you've agreed that it grants complete immunity to all spells of lvl 6 and lower, then that's what it does. If either the description of the spell or the item would state that LMR is an exception and does indeed work, it will work and lower the resistance. If it is not explicitly stated anywhere, (assuming you wrote it's effects down when you first identified the item) then LMR simply does not work.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 01:28 PM   #4
Stile, The Blue Adept
Dungeon Master

technically, you cannot be affected by the spell, and I'm not sure about your group, but I thought it was generally accepted that you DON'T ARGUE WITH THE DM. I've been hit with "natural" lightning for less than that.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:30 PM   #5
Helspanth
Quintesson

The Dungeon Master is always correct.
The Dungeon Master must be obeyed even if his sayings contradict with earlier sayings.
This is MY rule when I DM and I think that most other DMs agree strongly!
Sorry my barbaric friend but I side with your DM...
Old 03-29-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
The Dungeon Master is always correct.
The Dungeon Master must be obeyed even if his sayings contradict with earlier sayings.
This is MY rule when I DM and I think that most other DMs agree strongly!
Sorry my barbaric friend but I side with your DM...
I don't mind my player voicing their opinion, and if I feel they are right, I will act accordingly, but as long as it does not take time away from the gaming session. Such matters can always be discussed between two sessions.

As for being shot down by natural lightning for an angering the DM, I hope this was a joke. I would never play with such an unfair DM.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:37 PM   #7
Lavindathar
Harper

That is horse ****.

Cerek, I side with you. Don't argue with the DM is a fair rule, unless he is being totally stupid. Then you can argue.

If a DM is changing things to suit himself then that is unfair....Cerek can't be effected by the spell, but the DM is abusing his power as a DM and changing the rules.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:47 PM   #8
Helspanth
Quintesson

Well if it was the same edition then Cerek would be right.But Lavindathar before you start saying horse***** DO see that we are talking about 2 distinct game systems!!!!!!
It was like trying to play 2nd edition dnd with 3rd edition AC!!!!!!!
The DM has the final say in these situations and if he said that the spell can breach MR in that Game session it CAN
Old 03-29-2002, 01:47 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Cerek, I side with you. Don't argue with the DM is a fair rule, unless he is being totally stupid. Then you can argue.
The Dm has the right to do anything he want in his campain. If you don't agree with him, then stop playing with him, otherwise he has the right to do as he want.

BUT, a DM who want to keep his player for more than a session should listen to his player's opinion.

[ 03-29-2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 03-29-2002, 01:51 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Helspanth:
Well if it was the same edition then Cerek would be right.But Lavindathar before you start saying horse***** DO see that we are talking about 2 distinct game systems!!!!!!
It was like trying to play 2nd edition dnd with 3rd edition AC!!!!!!!
The DM has the final say in these situations and if he said that the spell can breach MR in that Game session it CAN
And I didnt say Horse *****. I said Horse ****. Difference.

And why does everyone take offence whenever I swear? You all need to become British.

And whatever. IMPO Cerek is right.