Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-08-2000, 12:44 AM   #1
Rincewind

I heard there is an editor. I really need one for lost items. Yesterday I suddenly was 100.000 gold poorer. How is that possible. Even if I oversaw a bag of gold at the last thief I killed, he couldn't have taken all the 100.000 gold?

Old 11-08-2000, 12:49 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

If it's just your lost money you want to replace you can do that in the game easily without using an editor. The gold cheat is posted in Ironworks hints section.

Wyv
Old 11-08-2000, 12:50 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Meant to ask -

Are you a fan of Discworld???

Wyv

(I really love Luggage)
Old 11-08-2000, 04:25 PM   #4
Rincewind

Wyvern,
no it's not just the money (even though it would take really long to get over 100.000 with the hint), I accidently killed the rat thief because he was the one who ordered the death of the "honorable thief" right at the beginning. Unfortunately I didn't find the assassin's dagger, so I would like to get that one back somehow. I killed Raskallin anyway, because I didn't agree to keep quiet (so he started it really, the idiot). So I would have done everything to get that blasted dagger... I wouldn't need an editor for the characters themselves, really. The game is easy enough as it is (I mean concerning the fights).

And yes, I am a *BIG* Discworld fan, I have all the books, both videos and "The Truth" is on its way to me right now. If You don't know them already, I can also recommend almost any other book by Terry Pratchett. If You're not from the UK, I think You can only get the new book there at the moment (amazon.co.uk)

Oh, and yeah - the Luggage is great especially when Pratchett describes its malice )

Old 11-08-2000, 07:33 PM   #5
Devnull

I would also like to find one. I am stuck in Shurugeon Castle and cannot find the fifth element that is supposed to be in D'Sotos room in the tower. I am thinking that I need an editor to make this item appear in my inventory. I found a way to hex edit characters, but only stats/skills, etc, not inventory items. So, if anyone has any clue where to find a full-blown editor that can do inventory or even a file explaining the hex format, I would be very appreciative.

Old 11-09-2000, 06:10 AM   #6
Fendris

There is an editor at www.urtools.de but I fear it isnt able to handle equipment modifications. Maybe if some of you help...
-Fen

Old 11-09-2000, 01:24 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Okay - given that some folks seem to be having trouble with items getting lost (through no fault of their own) I hauled out my hexeditor and slapped in a save file.
Here's what I figured out - character information, including inventory, is stored in multiple places within the save file. Running a test - if you modify only one of the character areas it won't take - you have to modify all the character areas. Now this could get tricky if you are unfamiliar with hexed and don't have some sort of backup source of information. What I did as a test was try to change one of my thiefs old keys for which I really had no further use to a glowstone to test it in a saved game in Collasium. Changing "gold key" to "Glowstone" in and of itself wasn't enough. Since I had another Glowstone in that save game with which to compare the data I noted that about 9 units before the text "Glowstone" in the inventory there were two characters which I guessed (and was correct) refered to the image for this item. So the image information as well as the inventory description had to be changed and all of this in multiple locations. Now this could get very dangerous if you have no idea what you're doing. It can be done but I would recommend real caution!

RINCEWIND: I'm a big fan of Pratchett too!! DEATH as a short order cook is classic!!! What wonderful books!!!

DEVNULL: Didn't I respond to your trouble finding D'Soto's element in another thread?? Sounded like you were just in the wrong location. Hope you did find it!!

Wyv
Old 11-10-2000, 11:59 AM   #8
Rincewind

Wyvern, thanks for the info. I think I can use it. I used to do a lot of hex editting in my "old days", but in the nowadays, You get the editors before You get the game. I hope I'm not rusted

Ah yes: May You live in interesting times! (meant as a blessing, not the curse)

Old 11-10-2000, 06:26 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Grin! most interesting times indeed!!!

I taught myself to hexedit when I was writing a walkthru for Wiz 6. Since I wanted to be able to breeze through the game to check my notes I didn't want to wait to build my characters. Saved me many hours of work! Now I hexedit a character or two for my son who is a young apprentice to the CRPGing schools. Can be tricky sometimes but can also save a lot of frustration too!

Wyv
Old 11-11-2000, 12:17 AM   #10
Rincewind

Wyv,
it seems we all can really be glad You're here with us. Also I don't think of myself as a Newbie anymore, I don't think I'm able to reach You! By the way, You should read the newest discworld (The Truth). Ever give a thought to what happens to a vampire photographer who keeps using a flash? (hint: try to keep a few drops of blood handy...)