Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-03-2001, 09:47 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

So I decided to try soloing an Archer on Insane Difficulty again. My first attempt was a horrible failure, but it would seem that my second try is doing fine. Heh, heh... soloing an Assassin has taught me a few tricks on how to survive early in the game with an Archer.

Stealth, snipe, run away. Stealth, snipe, run away. Stealth, snipe, etc... ...

Anyway, before I start to bore you, straight to the point of why I am posting this thread. As you know, Archers have limited healing spells( even including the Bhaalspawn powers), and this usually means that you have to rest for days and days until you get a Ring of Regeneration or the Ring of Gaxx.

Since I cannot pickpocket, and fighting Kangaxx is currently not an option, what can I do? Well... I can cast Draw Upon Holy Might( Bhaalspawn power) just before I rest. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Huh? Wha- what? What can this possibly do you ask?

As you know, Draw Upon Holy Might increases your CON. The consequence of higher CON is that your natural rate of regeneration is increased, but wait! Draw Upon Holy Might only lasts 1 turn right? Yes, but when you rest, all spells currently active are suspended until you wake up. What this means is that you effectively have a higher CON while you sleep. This can really cut down your time needed to fully heal. What used to take 4-5 days to heal, I now only need, at most, 16 hours.

And now you know too. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for reading.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 10:01 AM   #2
Jim
Quintesson

Nice tactic! My archerer spent loads of money in temples buying healing - 750 gp to fully heal the character, and since I was solo too, I didn't have to worry about spending money on equipment for fellow party members. I always hit kangaxx as early as I can. That's why my first quest is always trademeet, which allows me to get the flame tongue from the druid grove. Then, once you've tried repeatedly to kill the required liches, scroll of protection against undead, equip flame tongue and I can get that lovely ring of gaxx early on.

Have you tried an insane solo beastmaster yet dundee? I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a challenge!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 10:03 AM   #3
Yggdrasil
Dungeon Master

One thing I have discovered while soloing as a thief is the price structure of getting healed in temples. Example: if it costs 50 gold to get healed 8 hps, why would I want to pay 150 to get healed for 17? The Heal spell costs 750, so unless you need to get healed by more than 93 hps, just keep buying those 'cure minor wounds.'

Also, some of the merchants will heal you at even cheaper prices...there's a guy in trademeet who will heal 8 hps for only 20 gold.
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 10:06 AM   #4
Yggdrasil
Dungeon Master

Oops. That should read 120 hp, not 93. Heh heh.
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 10:21 AM   #5
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
So I decided to try soloing an Archer on Insane Difficulty again. My first attempt was a horrible failure, but it would seem that my second try is doing fine. Heh, heh... soloing an Assassin has taught me a few tricks on how to survive early in the game with an Archer.

Stealth, snipe, run away. Stealth, snipe, run away. Stealth, snipe, etc... ...

Anyway, before I start to bore you, straight to the point of why I am posting this thread. As you know, Archers have limited healing spells( even including the Bhaalspawn powers), and this usually means that you have to rest for days and days until you get a Ring of Regeneration or the Ring of Gaxx.

Since I cannot pickpocket, and fighting Kangaxx is currently not an option, what can I do? Well... I can cast Draw Upon Holy Might( Bhaalspawn power) just before I rest. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Huh? Wha- what? What can this possibly do you ask?

As you know, Draw Upon Holy Might increases your CON. The consequence of higher CON is that your natural rate of regeneration is increased, but wait! Draw Upon Holy Might only lasts 1 turn right? Yes, but when you rest, all spells currently active are suspended until you wake up. What this means is that you effectively have a higher CON while you sleep. This can really cut down your time needed to fully heal. What used to take 4-5 days to heal, I now only need, at most, 16 hours.

And now you know too. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for reading.

you can get the ring of regenreration by stealing it from the shopkeeper in the adventurers mart. thats what my brother did, buti cant cos im a good oparty [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2001, 10:29 AM   #6
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

I havn't fought Kangaxx yet,(dont know where he is!) but I regenerate using the ring of regeneration. Can archers use normal weapons?
Old 12-03-2001, 10:57 AM   #7
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

yeah, archers can use melee weapons, but can only be proficient, they cant specialize.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:02 AM   #8
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

Ohh. So you could still get good weapons like the
>>
>>
Vorpal sword and the equalizer and still do some damage.

Do they have spells?
Old 12-03-2001, 11:19 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Radiant_Memphit:
you can get the ring of regenreration by stealing it from the shopkeeper in the adventurers mart. thats what my brother did, buti cant cos im a good oparty [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dude... ...

Allow me to quote myself from the first post... ...
quote:

~
Since I cannot pickpocket, and fighting Kangaxx is currently not an option ~~

I know about Ribald's Ring of Regeneration, but I am a solo Archer; and I certainly do not want to kill him just to get the ring... ...
Old 12-03-2001, 11:24 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Nice tactic! My archerer spent loads of money in temples buying healing - 750 gp to fully heal the character, and since I was solo too, I didn't have to worry about spending money on equipment for fellow party members. I always hit kangaxx as early as I can. That's why my first quest is always trademeet, which allows me to get the flame tongue from the druid grove. Then, once you've tried repeatedly to kill the required liches, scroll of protection against undead, equip flame tongue and I can get that lovely ring of gaxx early on.
Have you tried an insane solo beastmaster yet dundee? I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a challenge!

Heh, what a coincidence. My Archer is at Tradesmeet now. I saved and quit the game to log on and share this little titbit. I got my Boots of Speed( really hated that damn Demon...), Aeger's Hide, Strongarm +2 and of course, the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength. WooHoo!

And I love the Oil of Speed! It boosts my Attacks per Round to 5! WahHAHAHAHA!!!!

I will try Beastmaster eventually, but I have 3 characters at the moment, and I am still preparing for Transmuter.