Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-18-2000, 01:32 AM   #1
andone75
Welcomed New User

Hi all you you rpg fanatics....

I just bought this game a few weeks ago, you see, i havent been into the RPG scene so long 5-6 years i think.

My first rpg game (on th pc) were "Daggerfall) running on a P-100 ,8 Mb Ram....not so good performance.
Anyway, i live in Sweden, and i dont speak english as my first language so that game was just a little bit too much at that time...

Then i heard from a friend about the Might and Magic series...so i bought the MM6,MM7 and the last MM8, i dont know but i feel that these games got me into the RPG scene for real, and here we are, W&W , what a great game, sure i also had all of the horrible bugs all of you have, but then i upgraded my graphics drivers (voodoo 3 card) and since the day everything is going just fine (now even my computer just dont freece when im working on a word document)

Anyway...then we have Wizardry 8, i think everone here have seen the good looking pictures on their website...just wonder how the gamesplay will be...i hope that they dont just create beautifull 3.d rendering pictures with no what so ever deepth in the game, i hope that they willcreate the game similar to "daggerfall" so that you can do almost whatever you want to do, not just do the quests and strictly that...

I truley enjoy reading this board and with the help of excellent players such as Wyvern and Freudianslip this game is really worh playing

thanks for now...

//Andonne
Old 11-18-2000, 02:20 AM   #2
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Well thank you for the compliments, that is what we like to hear Though the game is with its bugs, we like to feel that there is a feast to be had beneath.. if you stick with it, ride it out, enjoy the adventure.
Old 11-18-2000, 04:34 AM   #3
Astyanax12

...create a game like "Daggerfall"...

They are. It's called Morrowind and is due out sometime next year. I'm drooling over the keyboard at the very thought. And I loved the Might & Magic series, MM8 had its moments even if it was a tired reprise of MM6/7 (MM7 was the best, when I first saw the city of Celeste, I was awestruck).

W&W is definitely a great game, if you can live with the bugs! Enjoy.

Old 11-18-2000, 06:04 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

(blushes) Thanks!!

I'm replaying this game which is something I have not done with a computer game for a long time. I replayed Wiz 1, 2 & 3 until I had super monster characters. It was rather how other people will play solitaire, I'd play those. Or, more recently, Diablo. Not near as interesting and fun as W&W but a great game by which to unwind. I've got Diablo II and waded through 3/4s of it but it's sitting on the sidelines. It isn't as much fun as the first for all the elements they added. W&W is far more fun and this board is even more fun!

Wyv
Old 11-18-2000, 04:58 PM   #5
Squee!

wizardry 8 is at the top of MY buying list... that and a new jackson guitar!
i hope they have software mode though cos i dont have a 3d card!

laters, all

Old 11-18-2000, 07:15 PM   #6
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hej Andonne!

Hur mår du?

Ok, there goes all the Swedish I know, probably said wrong.

Its interesting to hear from the international players. I do like W&W a lot, but I dont know if I could play it again, maybe if there is a patch. But GREAT GAME, though the bugs are tough to deal with its still a winner in my book.

And then making assess of ourselvs on the board and with our fanfics is just too much fun. So there, Baldur's Gate fans!

Wiz 8, you know I had such powerful characters in Dark Savant, dont without cheating, but just godlike status. I think it would be a cool game, but I think Sir-Tech's "we dont know when it will be done...duh" policy is really pansy of them. I just get a weird vibe about it, but I hope it will be great. Dark Savant was a great game, one of the best RPG's I've ever seen!

Scronan
Old 11-18-2000, 09:42 PM   #7
Junker

Ok...hehe..Im also from Sweden....Hej Hej..

Ist off is a answer to Scronans post above this one, Sir-Tech did go bankrupt(or whatever it is called) ..So they dont really have a publisher for Wizardry 8, That is also why they say its relesed when its relesed etc etc..When this happened a few years ago It was a sad day for gaming because I think Sir-Tech was absolutly one of the best companies in the gaming industry(for my taste in games that is).. Jagged Alliance, Realms of Arcania Trilogy, and Wizardry (Wich im sad to say I havent played) They had this plan thou ,,to realese the two games they where working on at the moment of this bankrupcy,,,Jagged Alliance 2 and Wiz 8, Jagged got a publisher(Talonsoft I think) but Wiz 8 hasnt. So you will have to see what happens Scronan

And im also waiting for Wizardry 8, wich for what I understand going to be like this game( phased combat etc,etc) and the most important thing..the characters is going to have minds and ideas of their own (wich is simular to Jagged Alliance and Baldurs Gate games) And there is also alot of other games out there that im waiting for, Pool of Radiance II, Morrowind

anyway Andonne you say something that I must comment abit...Its about Daggerfall versus Wizardry 8 , doing what you want in the game..Daggerfall is absolutly the most unlinear RPG ever relesead (to the price of very much trouble,,,bugs,bugs,patches,patches and patches)Its also still a very funny game....but as you mentioned it I think you also ment that W.W is unlinear..but it is just unlinear in small areas during the game..Infact you have to do almost everything in it to defeat it..(all the dungeons atleast, sometimes also in a certain order)And in this case its also the small amount of unlinearaty that makes some of the greater bugs...because the players does things that the publishers didnt think of (:example goes straight to B before going to A) And furthermore what else can you do besides the quests in W.W ???? ....lol there is nothing else to be done here either, There is the Main Quest for the Mavin and all the small side quests, wich solves themselves doing the main quest for about 80-90% accuracy... I agree thou ,,that if someone could create a RPG that is totaly unlinear, It is absolutly the best form of game there is....Go your own way,,fullfill your own Ideas,goals etc,,,but its a very hard task..cus there is just to much that could go wrong (As in Daggerfalls case, I have only one friend of five that played Daggerfall and actually made it to the end, and this cus of lots of gamestopping bugs. Did you make it ??)

Well and as you mentioned there is also Might and Magic wich is unlinear, but here the developers have created areas that are so tough you cant enter until you reached a certain level of power instead...Wich is a good solution....This way the game feels more unlinear than it actually is..ex : You could go there, but would fail cus you are to weak

As for you two Story tellers Freudianslip and Wyvern....Have you tried to play Planescape Torment ??? This game has absolutly a top of the line story (absolutly one of the best in RPG History)If you havent ,,then try it..Its a bit to much story for some , but for those who actually plays it to the end will have a story that is so well done , that it easyly matches some of the greater Fantasy writers..for those who just wants to play and cares less of the story this is to much !!!!

Okey and as a last comment....have you tried some of the online games that is out there,,,Ultima Online, EverQuest and Asherons Call....Here you could create your own adventures....????

Old 11-19-2000, 12:28 AM   #8
Junker

hmm I tried to edit my post above, but noticed that I couldnt...So...well..hmm