Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 07-24-2004, 05:19 AM   #1
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

Hi, I am searching for new RPG to battle through, I am not so much into the new 3D games, well my question is, what is this game all about? Building on Dungeons and Dragons rules or what? thanks.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:52 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] - A fellow countryman, I notice...

Having never known much about D&D rules, I cannot say exactly whether that is the case. But if you mean something like: different statistics with the possibility of enhancing them, different traits and skills based on numbers, limited inventory space, and +2 swords then that is a part of the game. However, it has a great storyline with interesting dialogues and some intricate puzzles. It is an old game so of course it has its oddities. Most of us here find them charming, though. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] It also takes a good while to complete, and taken into consideration the amount of money for which it can be purchased nowadays it is a real bargain.

Incidentally: Did you know that in Denmark sodomizing a goat was in theory punishable by death by burning on the pyre up until 1906 according to King Christian V's "Danske Lov", Book 6, Chapter 13, Section 15?

[ 07-24-2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 07-24-2004, 07:15 AM   #3
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

Hmmm, well I didn't know that about sodomizing goats... never tried it anyway....

hmmm and sounds like I should try and get a hold of this game, searching through the Odense shops one day not to far away... maybe have to find it on the internet.. don't know about that.....
Old 07-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

They have it in stock a lot of places. I know of 3 places in Århus. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-24-2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 07-24-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

ok, then they'll probably have it in Odense too...
Old 07-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I especially like this game for its story-line. Also the concept of enchanting weapons and armour is very nice.

Of course once one has completed the storyline is no longer that interesting although everybody discovers something new the second time. However there are lots of different approaches to the game to be tried. For example: To be good or bad, to join the evil cult, or to torture that person in the torture chamber... And what exactly happens if I wedge that chest underneath the grate before it closes??? [img]smile.gif[/img]

But as I mentioned it is well nigh a month of great entertainment at a very little cost these days.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to this side of the boards, Sodomatic Goat. May you find adventure and excitement throughout the Gael Serran.

W&W does play somewhat like D&D, but not exactly the same. It's along the "old school" of computer RPGs, where story and plot matter more than eye candy (aka good graphics), and puzzles are there to be challenging, not a breeze.

W&W was produced by DW Bradley of Wizardry fame, so it bears a fair amount of resemblance to Wizardry. If you've enjoyed those, or Might and Magic, you'll find it comparable. It's not in the same realm as Baldur's Gate; most people tend to prefer one or the other.

But since it's an older game, you don't have to worry about investing a lot of money if you don't like it [img]smile.gif[/img]

And bsftcs, methinks I know which chapters of the law books you were studying... I expect a new post every day with the latest of the obscure laws you've come across
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:59 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

W&W is an example what can happen if an extremely gifted and intelligent team of game creators is forced to stop its work in the middle. The game is unfinished, which can be a source of anger. On the other hand, the game implements many ideas of a perfect RPG. I daresay that if the game were finished, we would get one of the best RPG ever seen. What a pity!

What you can expect. W&W is not a D&D. It's a first person view "classics", where you will create your characters, give them skills (like in MM games - your characters will start with only a few skills, they have to gain the rest of skills themselves in the game), and equip the characters somehow. Let us go.
You will meet traits, which are permanent abilities that give the trait owners certain advantages. You will meet "item maker" in the form of blessing and enchanting items. You will train your skills in guilds and also you can train yourself by means of skill points. Naturally, you will improve your stats by means of ability points. Both the ability points and the skill points are given to you every time you level up.

The game was written for DOS 95. It runs perfectly on DOS 95, DOS 98, and DOS Me. On the other hand, you will have big problems with Neanderthal Technology, the game is highly incompatible with it. Why? Ask Big Bill, not me. Well, many people running Neanderthal Technology (winblows NT, winblows 2000, winblows XP) were able to put the game in work somehow so that you have a good chance.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
And bsftcs, methinks I know which chapters of the law books you were studying... I expect a new post every day with the latest of the obscure laws you've come across
You know what? I think I just might… Well perhaps not every day, but sometimes. So let me start by making a clarification on this issue.

I know it sounds vehement, but in practice it was of course not so strict a system at all.

”Danske Lov” from 1683 was a remarkable piece of legislation in its time. Apart from many casuistic regulations it contains sections of remarkable clarity upon which much of daily life rests and are still in place in the Danish judicial system today! The penal regulations, though, obviously quickly became obsolete.

Almost already from the start the courts were quick to use other types of punishment regardless of what the law stated, and furthermore every death sentence had to be put before the king himself who pardoned the offender in MORE than half of all cases. The last execution by burning took place in the early 1700’s.

In 1849 Denmark got a democratic constitution and in1866 was the first time that a legislature elected by the people passed a penal code. It was not complete and was based a great deal on already existing legislation. It did not specifically abolish the section concerning animal sodomy. Neither did the penal code of 1905 which came into force in 1906. However, it stated that from now on the death penalty could only be used in the cases specifically mentioned in the code. No executions ever took place according to this law, and only 4 executions ever took place from 1866 to 1906. The last one in 1892 – the last woman to be executed in Denmark ever was executed in 1876. The revised civil penal code of 1930 abolished all use of the death penalty. In the Danish military penal code the death penalty was formally abolished in 1978. By then it was over 100 years since it had been used in military cases.

In 1945 following the German occupation of Denmark during the Second World War the death penalty was temporarily reinstated for some crimes commited during the occupation. The war and the occupation had unleashed sprees of violence inf Denmark of proportions unseen at any time before or thereafter. Gangs had terrorized the country, and many of them had been paid by the Germans to do so. Many gang members had killed people by the dozen. The most active gang member of all times, H. Bothildsen-Nielsen, was tried and convicted of having killed 81 people in regular liquidations and railway sabotage actions making him the most deadly (exposed) serial killer/mass murderer in Denmark to this day. Still the retrospective legislation of 1945 was and is a much debated controversial piece of Danish history which most people today see as a disgrace to the country and a very black chapter of our history.

As a result of the temporary penal code addition of 1945, 78 people were sentenced to death by shooting. Only 48 of the executions were carried out. The remaining 30 offenders were pardoned. 2 of the 78 were women. They were both among the pardoned. The last execution took place in 1952.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

If you want a pure D&D rpg I'd suggest Temple of ELemental Evil if it wasn't for the huge number of bugs in that game. ToEE is built on D&D version 3 and is a pure rpg. It's kinda nicve although I haven't spent too much time with it. Generally it's back home collecting dust on some shelf.

Wizards & Warriors however, is a great rpg that I really recommend you try out. It shouldn't be very expensive nowadays so you'll get plenty of fun for a small fee. [img]smile.gif[/img]