Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 01:44 AM   #31
Stratos
Vampire

1. No, but you'll need 10+ spell level in wisdom to cast divine spells and both Rangers and Druid casts them. To cast a lv. 1 spell you'll need a wisdom score of 11, to cast a lv. 2 spell you'll need 12 etc.

2. You can't change portrait and appearance as far as I know, but you can change the name of your animal companion every time you level up, or switch to another if you wish. Perhaps if you use a character editor...

3. Check out NWVault for portrait packs.

4. Just put the portrait files into your Portrait folder in the Neverwinter Nights directory.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:32 AM   #32
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
THanks for the advice guys, especially Crimson Blade re online playing. I'm a druid.

Some further q's:

1. Does Ranger have required ability scores? Becuase I want to be a Ranger/Druid as I advance.

2. How do I change: (a)my character portrait, (b) my character appearance, and (c) my wolfie's name? I messed these up on character creation.

3. Where may I find additional portraits -- I'm not finding one I like w/ the game.

4. How do install those portraits?

THANKS!!!
After testing all the Races I thought would make the best Ranger/Druid I have come up with the following;
Answer #1
Use the Pure Elf Class! (pretty much any class will work) I just lik pointed Ears LOL! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Start as A Druid and set your Ability Scores as follows.
Level #1-3 Druid Class
first settings for Druid/Ranger Ability Scores at Druid Lvl #1.

Strength = 14
Dexterity = 16
Constitution = 13
Wisdom = 16
intelligence = 8
Charisma = 8

Now after your druid is level #3, Start your Ranger Class and stay at Ranger for the next 10 levels. Then each time just click on recomended for each of the feats and other fields.
Every 3rd level starting with Level #3 Druid & Level #1 Ranger your Dexterity Ability Score will be raised 1 point if you press the recommended button and if you had stayed the Druid Class your Wisdom would have gone up instead.
one thing I would sugest is at ranger Level #1 I would not use the recommended button for the ability score (this time only). Instead I would add 1 point to STRENGTH unless by this time you have found some Armor or bracers or a belt that have a strength Bonus that brings your strength up above 17 or 18.

Question #2 changing your Portraits and Character Appearance.

This is possiable only if you are going to start the game over or Start the next expansion and wish to use the same character. How it's done
1st start the game and when it gets to the screen that shows "New", "Load",
"Multiplayer" Pick "NEW" on the next screen when you come to Generate a new Character, use a pre Generated Character. Chose Use Pre-Generated Character then when the next screen comes up there will be a rectangled Box in the lower left middle of the screen That says Customize Character it's just above another Box that says Delete Character. Click on Customize Character and you will be sent to the Portraits screen just choose the one you want and click OK. After that another window will come up and you can change the look and size of your character also change the colors of his clothes and then click OK again and a third Window will come up and you can change his name, age, and the name of his Dieity.

Question #3 New portraits.

I can't say for sure but, if I were you I would check with Http://www.Bioware.com the offical site and see what they have. They may have some imformation about where you can find a link to a Portrait site.
They should also be able to answer your last question on how to install them.
I've never done either when it comes to portraits. [img]smile.gif[/img]

well this is one way to Get your Ranger/Druid started in the game. I'm almost sure somebody will think he has a better way to do it so now the choseing is up to you So Good Luck and have fun.

[ 03-28-2004, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 03-28-2004, 03:53 AM   #33
Stratos
Vampire

An elven Druid/Ranger will get a 20% xp penalty if the classes are more than two levels apart.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:24 AM   #34
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Doesn't the new Community Upgrade have additional portraits?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #35
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
THanks for the advice guys, especially Crimson Blade re online playing. I'm a druid.

Some further q's:

1. Does Ranger have required ability scores? Becuase I want to be a Ranger/Druid as I advance.

2. How do I change: (a)my character portrait, (b) my character appearance, and (c) my wolfie's name? I messed these up on character creation.

3. Where may I find additional portraits -- I'm not finding one I like w/ the game.

4. How do install those portraits?

THANKS!!!
1. Wisdom, like I said above.

2. You can do it at the start of a game by clicking 'customize' or by use of a character editor (not recommended for new players).

3. www.Nwvault.com or http://nwn.bioware.com/players/cep_portraits.html for a look at the CEP ports.

4. Extract them into your portraits folder, default C:/ Neverwinter Nights /Portraits

Yeah Dreamer, the CEP has ports. They're in there and can bereached the usual way although noone will see them in MP unless the server has implemented CEP.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #36
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I'm still going through tutorials, and I have to take off for the day, so I won't get anything done today. I must point out that it is a FLAW in the game if you cannot change portraits or names during the game. I'm disappointed about that. Thanks for the continued advice, everyone.

Oh, and I'm playing a human. I like skills and feats and not having to worry about the class levels so much. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2004, 11:36 AM   #37
andrewas
Harper

IIRC, that is possible with HotU,, although Ive never used it.

But the LETO character editor lets you change it anyway. Just be careful with that program, its not SK for NWN, but you can still make uber-characters with it, and more importantly its easy to make a character that will be unable to join servers.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #38
Stratos
Vampire

You can change portrait and appearance with HotU, but only the ones saved in your Local Vault folder and not in-game.

As andrewas said, be careful with Leto as you can create illegal characters with it and thus be unbable to log into some servers that don't allow them.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:21 PM   #39
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Well, I'm still going through tutorials, and I have to take off for the day, so I won't get anything done today. I must point out that it is a FLAW in the game if you cannot change portraits or names during the game. I'm disappointed about that. Thanks for the continued advice, everyone.

Oh, and I'm playing a human. I like skills and feats and not having to worry about the class levels so much. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Changing a players name in-game will never be available. It would cause so many problems with quest-logging via the PC's name you cannot imagine.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:36 AM   #40
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Didn't think of that SpiritWarrior.

Didn't play any today. Warhammer 40K took up several hours (woo-hooo! -- and I even won) and then I tried out my new Xbox games -- True Crime (very fun, btw -- not as awe-some as Vice City, but very nice).