Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 08-16-2003, 09:39 AM   #11
philip
Galvatron

For the mp: will it be hosted somewhere when it's finished or will it be put on the vault (for LAN or for use in persistent worlds for example)?

I suggest we're going to stick to an order in which we do things, so it's easy for everyone to add things. And we don't have everything in it what makes it a mess before quests are put in.

example (I'm leaving out writing the story and drawing maps, and only mention work that's done in the toolset):

-areas
-quests and quest givers
-general encounters
-merchants
-general people

I think the best way to put everyone's work in the module is, as Legolas said, the webspace where we download it, put our own things in it and upload. Because everyone knows best what has to be where. The only problem is that more people are building at the same time to the same version. That's why I think it's best to build in a general module, export everything when it's ready and put it in IW inn (maybe we could have a small site which you can update to let others know you're updating IW inn to the next version, to prevent 2 upgrades of the same version at the same moment)

Another thing:
-which alignments do we create it for, or are there both evil and good quests. If so will there be good and evil options for dialogue with quest givers and the quest itself, or is the quest good/evil and can members of different alignments negate the quest?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:41 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:

On another note: it is important that we all use custom names for our scripts, and the local variables we set in conversations. Otherwise, there may be conflicts when trying to integrate our mods.
This can be done by making a list of all the participants and asigning each one a unique two letter prefix for each script and variable. This makes it easy to identify who did what and conflicts are avoided.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:51 PM   #13
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Alright. Much like Philip suggested, I recommend we start working on the village first. Quest NPC's and additional area's will be created later. We should first discuss what the village and storyline should look like.
Personally, I would suggest using the winter tile set for the village. My idea of the storyline is the following; the story takes place in a remote region of the north, the village in question is conveniently located at the heart of a small trade route (thus; allowing for more merchants then a village of this size would normally support). This trade route is not as safe as it used to be, however. And over the past few months, people (caravans and individual travellers alike) have started to disappear. It almost seems as if someone is trying to isolate the village. The truth is, that every 5000 years, the 'long night' comes over that part of the north. A period of two hundred years of almost continued darkness. A concept that is very interesting for the Dark Elf followers of Vhearun, who are hiding just below the surface and are currently planning on expanding their power in the north (the followers of Vhearun, unlike the followers of Lolth, have many surface outposts already). In fact, they are planning to make sure our night lasts a lot longer then that. Unfortunately (for them), one of the artefacts they need for their dark scheme is buried deep beneath our village. And thus arises the need to get rid of the humans all together. In order to do so, they have motivated a few of the local humanoid tribes to attack remote villages and people.

Regardless of what the main storyline will look like, we will still need to develop our little village. It should, at least, contain the following structures:

-The Inn
-Local Militia barracks
-Blacksmith
-Clerics House (I was personally thinking of a Priest of Oghma)
-And some housing for locals we can involve in quests later.

Of course, both the storyline and the structure of the village are both just idea's. Opinions and suggestions please.

Edit: I managed to locate quite an excellent script for Drow Hostiles. It generates a globe of Darkness around them when they spawn. I can't post it here right now, because I'm running Neverwinter Nights on a different PC, but I've been aching to use it

[ 08-16-2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:56 PM   #14
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I can definitely do the blacksmith: that's not a problem. Would we be limiting it to level 1-8 characters? I can make some rudimentary magic items to go with him, along with the base stuff, if you'd like.

Also, is this going to be classical-European, or are we gonna have funky stuff like dire maces and katanas?
Old 08-16-2003, 05:09 PM   #15
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

We could always add a merchant from say.. Kara-Tur with more exotic weapons But perhaps it would be best if our blacksmith were to stick to the more classic none-magical weapons. I think magical items should be rare in our mod [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:31 PM   #16
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Ok, cool. I think it would be kind of neat for him to have a "special back room" with hugely overpriced "light" trinkets, to sell to the townsfolk to protect them from the darkness. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hey, might as well make some money off it, right?
Old 08-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #17
Legolas
Jack Burton

I'm all for vendors trying to make a bit of coin out of the townsfolks despair. Supposedly magical amulets and charms all the way [img]smile.gif[/img]

I too would like to see actual magic items be limited. Magic weapons doing extra damage or even carrying a +1 enchantment should be prized posessions.

To fill in the void we can always use the rusty-to-mastercrafted range. Also, I think that non-magical items of clothing should make a difference. If you go out in the cold not wearing boots, you are risking your feet. If you sleep outside without a cloak, chances are you're not even going to wake up again (especially if you've consumed a lot of alcohol earlier). Archers would benefit from the use of bracers, because without them the bad arrows that splinter may cut into the wrist. And so on. There could be varying levels of quality here as well, all without a need for magic.

As far as the town is concerned, I think it'll prove too small on several occasions before the module is completed and we'll be rebuilding parts of it multiple times. It's probably best not to spend too much attention on getting that part right until we have a good idea of what quests we are going to include and what areas they require.
The inn on the other hand should be the first area to be finished (except for any people inside). We'll need a large kitchen, possibly a cellar, a large common room with a fire if possible, one or two smaller rooms for guests who prefer a less crowded dringing area, a livingroom and bedchamber(s) for the staff and proprietor, multiple bedrooms for the guests and at least two exits/entrances in case of fire (or an attack on the town). These could be the main entrance and a back door for deliveries, for example. Several floors might be a good idea. Possibly add a loo, it'll be cold outside.
Apart from all that, you could add some extra corridors from which people can spy on others in the main rooms/bedrooms, but only if the inn was designed by someone who indulged in things like that.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:15 PM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am trying to think of where I might be best used. I think my strength is in area development, all types other than city. I am also rather fond of monster placement. I enjoy choosing what monsters to use and where they should be found, and in what group if any. I can also place people with comedy-based liners. My scripting is only novice status.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:27 PM   #19
Chewbacca
Zartan

So somebody tell me what to do and where to send it and I shall make it so.

I already have ready a pre-fab keep that has four levels, a basment and sub-basement. All areas are connected, but it lacks placeables and of course inhabitants. It is situated on an island, but this could very well just be a moat if the entrance is slightly modified to include a bridge rather a dock.

This can be packaged in an .erf and uploaded to whereever, like the NWN vault. Just say "yay" and it will be done.

Cheers! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-16-2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:49 AM   #20
philip
Galvatron

So we have 6 people now, Dreamer128, Legolas, Chewbacca, Larry_OHF, True_Moose and me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
-a large kitchen
-possibly a cellar
-a large common room with a fire if possible
-one or two smaller rooms for guests who prefer a less crowded dringing area
-a livingroom and bedchamber(s) for the staff and proprietor
-multiple bedrooms for the guests
-at least two exits/entrances in case of fire (or an attack on the town)

These could be the main entrance and a back door for deliveries, for example. Several floors might be a good idea. Possibly add a loo, it'll be cold outside.
Apart from all that, you could add some extra corridors from which people can spy on others in the main rooms/bedrooms, but only if the inn was designed by someone who indulged in things like that.
Is one person going ot do this or do we have more for this one?

Quote:
the storyline
I think it's a great idea.

Quote:
I recommend we start working on the village first. Quest NPC's and additional area's will be created later. We should first discuss what the village and storyline should look like.

Regardless of what the main storyline will look like, we will still need to develop our little village. It should, at least, contain the following structures:
-The Inn
-Local Militia barracks
-Blacksmith
-Clerics House (I was personally thinking of a Priest of Oghma)
-And some housing for locals we can involve in quests later.
If there's a trade route it might be an idea to have a small market.

That's (at least) 5 different type of buildings, with the inn and the different houses being the largest. Maybe each of us takes one and the inn or houses can get split and done by 2. The houses of course need variety and I think there's be a difference between the proprietor's/staff's rooms, cellar (perhaps the kitchen as I think it would be best to link the kitchen and cellar) and the rooms for the guests.

Another idea, 1 does the outside area and puts in the buildings needed. The rest each takes 1 building or sort of buildings.

First we need to know how large the outside area will be (approximately). I'm for not very large, considering loading times and the possibility of the need to break it up in pieces cause of a huge area. I think it's good to have x- and y-axis together not more than 20 tiles, so 10*10 or 8*12, 6*14.

For the webspace, Brinkster has no ads, but limited data transfer (500 MB). And especially when the module gets bigger it's very likely we'll run out of data transfer. Maybe Lycos is a better idea, it has ads but more space and unlimited data transfer.

edit: i assume we make this for good/neutral (who tend towards good) characters?

[ 08-17-2003, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote